News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2016, 11:49:59 AM
Finished binge watching season 2 of Marco Polo.  It is a much better Game of Thrones then Game of Thrones.

Not much of a game when you know who is going to win.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2016, 11:34:17 PM
Finished binge watching season 2 of Marco Polo.  It is a much better Game of Thrones then Game of Thrones.

Marco?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I agree.  Game of Thrones has become very predictable  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2016, 02:36:23 AM

Marco?

Polo

celedhring

Yeah, one of my problems with the first season of Marco Polo was that I know both him and Kublai Khan will make it to their 70s, which kinda ruins the tension with all the threats around them.

The Brain

Finally watching Rome. Spartacus had more sweaty gladiators.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2016, 07:41:12 AM
Yeah, one of my problems with the first season of Marco Polo was that I know both him and Kublai Khan will make it to their 70s, which kinda ruins the tension with all the threats around them.

You are assuming the average mouth breather knows this.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2016, 07:38:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2016, 02:36:23 AM

Marco?

Polo

Damn. you beat me to it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: 11B4V on July 18, 2016, 09:02:25 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2016, 07:41:12 AM

You are assuming the average mouth breather knows this.

Well, I know what I know :P And it makes the show less enjoyable for me.

Imho Rome got it right. We all know that Caesar and Mark Anthony are going to kick the bucket before they can realize their plans, but the character focus of the series was in the two Roman soldiers.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2016, 09:57:08 AM
Imho Rome got it right. We all know that Caesar and Mark Anthony are going to kick the bucket before they can realize their plans,

Thanks. Ass.

Valmy

The thing Rome got wrong was that the two roman soldiers were such repulsive characters :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I liked the common one.

Silicon Valley is brilliant. I don't know how I've avoided watching it up to now.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Mystery Train (1989)

This has a great deal of musical talent in it, for not being a musical.  Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Joe Strummer (:punk:) and Tom Waits all have roles in the film.

The film covers two of Jim Jarmusch's most common themes; foreigners reaction to the United States and offbeat characters.  The film is done as a triptych, with all three stories centering around a fleabag hotel in Memphis where the ghost of Elvis (literally in one of the stories) looms large.

While I'm not a fan of the triptych style; Jarmusch is really starting to hit his stride with this one.  The insight is sharper and the characters are quirkier than they are in "Stranger than Paradise" or "Down by Law." 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2016, 10:11:52 AM
The thing Rome got wrong was that the two roman soldiers were such repulsive characters :P

It was a pretty repulsive society.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017