News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on July 16, 2016, 04:49:45 AM
The world is doing a lot of scary news again and I'm not sure what will happen anymore. I think now is a good time to re-watch The Fugitive. If I know anything for certain, it is that Dr. Richard Kimble is innocent.

You could get into the mood and watch Occupied on Netflix - near future Russian occupation of Norway...

Watched an episode of Black Mirror.  Canadian Netflix only has one episode - White Christmas.  I thought it was very well done.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2016, 10:21:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 16, 2016, 04:49:45 AM
The world is doing a lot of scary news again and I'm not sure what will happen anymore. I think now is a good time to re-watch The Fugitive. If I know anything for certain, it is that Dr. Richard Kimble is innocent.

You could get into the mood and watch Occupied on Netflix - near future Russian occupation of Norway...

Watched an episode of Black Mirror.  Canadian Netflix only has one episode - White Christmas.  I thought it was very well done.

I have heard lots of raves about Occupied. Gonna get added to the list.

Black Mirror is great.

crazy canuck

I am just two episodes into Occupied.  I like it a lot.  Very good writing.

Barrister

Watched the original Ghostbusters in Netflix with the boys this morning. They seemed to like it.

Taking Mrs B to see the remake tonight. Reviews have been good so I am cautiously optimistic...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Mr. Holmes. Ian McKellen plays an elderly Sherlock Holmes besieged by Alzheimer that tries to recall the outcome of his very last case, the one that made him swear off being a detective. Well done but pretty depressing flick, in a "being old sucks balls" way.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2016, 05:51:56 PM
Watched the original Ghostbusters in Netflix with the boys this morning. They seemed to like it.

Taking Mrs B to see the remake tonight. Reviews have been good so I am cautiously optimistic...

So new Ghostbusters was very good.  :thumbsup:

It had a hard line to walk - to pay homage and call back to the original, but to fundamentally tell a new story and not just re-treat the original.  And I think they pulled it off.  I mean it's chock-full of call-backs to the original - the firehouse, proton-packs, Ecto-1, Slimer, even a Stay-Puft Marshmallow man (and cameos of every living actor), but it was a new story.  The sense of humour was different, the storyline was different, the characters were different.

I'm not capable of rationally comparing it to the 1984 original - there's far too much good memories and nostalgia for me to do so.  But the remake is worth your time if you're interested.

The one big negative though - the re-made Ghostbusters song is hot garbage.  I think the filmmakers even knew it because they used the Ray Parker Jr original in the opening (saving the re-made version for the final credits).

One other though - I had thought about taking the kids, but glad I didn't - I think this is a fair bit scarier than the original.  It also turns into a kind-of action movie in the final climax, which isn't bad but doesn't necessarily scream "Ghostbusters" to me.

[spoiler]There's an after-credits scene that teases a sequel.  The girls are working in the lab, one of them is listening to some sort of spectral audio tapes when she says 'Has anyone ever heard about Zuul'.  Not sure that's a great direction for them to go for a sequel, but whatever.  I'd be happy to go see a sequel if they make one[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Just turned off Concussion.

When I saw the trailer I wondered how in the world they could make a movie out of this story.  Dude discovers a link between concussions and dementia, NFL resists, and eventually concedes.  There's just nothing there.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2016, 01:47:08 AM
Just turned off Concussion.

When I saw the trailer I wondered how in the world they could make a movie out of this story.  Dude discovers a link between concussions and dementia, NFL resists, and eventually concedes.  There's just nothing there.

It was a Will Smith Oscar bait project. But yeah the gist I got from the trailers is that there isn't a story at all there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2016, 12:00:10 AM
One other though - I had thought about taking the kids, but glad I didn't - I think this is a fair bit scarier than the original.  It also turns into a kind-of action movie in the final climax, which isn't bad but doesn't necessarily scream "Ghostbusters" to me.
The original was fine I think. But Ghostbusters 2 was terrifying as a child. I have very strong memories of it scaring me and I've spoken to friends who have the same.

I mean I loved it but :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2016, 04:31:39 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2016, 12:00:10 AM
The original was fine I think. But Ghostbusters 2 was terrifying as a child. I have very strong memories of it scaring me and I've spoken to friends who have the same.

I mean I loved it but :ph34r:

That's odd.  You might be the first person who ever said they loved Ghostbusters 2. :P

Might be a difference of age here.  GB 1 came out in '84, and GB 2 in '89, and I was 9 and 14 respectively.  Nothing in GB 2 would scare a teenager.

Sheilbh

Definitely a generation thing. I've spoken to loads of friends about how great and scary Ghostbusters 2 is. I don't even remember having seen 1 until much later.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I don't remember either at this point. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 17, 2016, 09:29:47 AM
Definitely a generation thing. I've spoken to loads of friends about how great and scary Ghostbusters 2 is. I don't even remember having seen 1 until much later.

Same here, I was 11 when Ghostbusters 2 came out and I didn't see the original until later. And yeah, it scared the hell out of me. Viggo the Carpathian is one of the great villains of my childhood.

The first one is better, mind, but teenager Celed thought otherwise.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2016, 09:33:20 AM
I don't remember either at this point. :blush:

:o

GB 1 is on Canadian Netflix.  You need to see it ASAP.

Zanza

Watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things on Netflix. It's a bit X files meets horror movie. Not too bad.