News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Fresno, TV comedy miniseries from the 80s.  We had in on tape and we used to watch it again and again.  It's held up surprisingly well.  Full thing is on Youtube.

"Police feel he might have gone, environmentally insane."

frunk

Charles Grodin gets the best lines:  "You mean some damn Yodelers got it!?"

Siege

I wad going to recommend the British show "the last kingdom", about Alfred the great and the norse invasions and colonization. Available on Netflix.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

Quote from: Siege on July 14, 2016, 09:32:00 PM
I wad going to recommend the British show "the last kingdom", about Alfred the great and the norse invasions and colonization. Available on Netflix.

It's not a bad choice, I think Malthus likes it too.

But I can't get over past it being set around where I live, yet the visuals are all clearly shot in places like Ireland.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of Black Mass, the Whitey Bulger story. Not very gripping.

However the chick in 50 Shades of Gray is kind of cute as a Southie gangster's wife.

Sheilbh

Big fan of The Last Kingdom. But then I love Alfred and can't wait for some stuff about Aethelflaed! :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Batman vs Superman. Bad, but I actually expected worse given the reviews. And by that I mean it's like a D- instead of an F. Luthor was horribly grating, Batman's "character arc" and relationship with Supes is stupid, Superman has the acting prowess of a stone bust, the movie is full of plot-holes and head-scratching idiotic plot points (like [spoiler]how the world believes Superman killed a bunch of African rebels that were mowed down by gunfire  :huh:[/spoiler]). But there's a modicum of entertainment to be had.

I'm actually kinda looking forward Affleck directing a Batman flick though. I love him as a director and his portrayal of Batman wasn't too bad despite the terribleness of the script.

Siege

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2016, 05:26:12 AM
Big fan of The Last Kingdom. But then I love Alfred and can't wait for some stuff about Aethelflaed! :w00t:

But, didn't you find weir the saxons with square shields instead of round ones?
And of course, the last battle was retarded. There is no way the two opposing lines in a battle can be disengaged without one of the lines routing. Commanders of the time knew that when they committed a formation to the fight they no longer had control of it. That's why they had reserves, to plug the holes in the batttle line.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 09:39:30 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 14, 2016, 09:32:00 PM

It's not a bad choice, I think Malthus likes it too.

But I can't get over past it being set around where I live, yet the visuals are all clearly shot in places like Ireland.   :bowler:

They probably wanted to avoid filming you ambling about the countryside on your bicycle in the background of each scene.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2016, 05:26:12 AM

Heh, I'm surprised there was never a movie made focusing on Aethelflaed. You would think that would be perfect for this day and age - a feminist hero of civilization.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

CB and I saw Secret Life of Pets last night.  It's unfortunate that the films premise is similar to the Toy Story franchise since (from an adult perspective) it's nowhere near as good as any of those films.  Still its cute, fun and funny enough to be entertaining.  The films largest problem is that is seems to rush through everything (probably to make a 90 minute run time.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2016, 08:29:11 AM
CB and I saw Secret Life of Pets last night.  It's unfortunate that the films premise is similar to the Toy Story franchise since (from an adult perspective) it's nowhere near as good as any of those films.  Still its cute, fun and funny enough to be entertaining.  The films largest problem is that is seems to rush through everything (probably to make a 90 minute run time.)

My impression is that it was a movie aimed more squarely at children. The pacing I think was intended to keep the tykes entertained.

Pixar films (well, the good ones: not stuff like Cars 2) tend to be aimed at children and adults.

I think modern audiences have sort of got used to the notion that ostensibly "children's movies" are fully adult-watchable. This seems an overall trend of blurring the lines between what is suitable for various age groups - another example of this sort of thing is the popularity of movies based on comic book characters. Those used to be entertainment for adolescents only, now adults will go see them and think nothing of it. Similarly with kid's movies: Pixar has led the charge there.   

Valmy

Who was Cars 2 aimed at anyway?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 15, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2016, 08:29:11 AM

My impression is that it was a movie aimed more squarely at children. The pacing I think was intended to keep the tykes entertained.

Pixar films (well, the good ones: not stuff like Cars 2) tend to be aimed at children and adults.

I think modern audiences have sort of got used to the notion that ostensibly "children's movies" are fully adult-watchable. This seems an overall trend of blurring the lines between what is suitable for various age groups - another example of this sort of thing is the popularity of movies based on comic book characters. Those used to be entertainment for adolescents only, now adults will go see them and think nothing of it. Similarly with kid's movies: Pixar has led the charge there.

Or it could be that adolescence lasts well into middle age in our modern society; this forum is living proof.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Seriously I think The Secret Life of Pets is adult watchable, but definitely no Pixar film.