News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on May 10, 2016, 12:27:22 PM
Outlander- sounded cool. Woman from the war (why is it always the war?) Gets send back in time to 18th century Scotland.  Some cool stuff to it..... but it is largely overpowered by the mills and boon fantasies for middle aged women stuff. Shame.

I'm really liking this show. It's the second season (maybe third?) and I watched it from the beginning.

Yeah, I'm digging it too.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2016, 11:35:13 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 10, 2016, 12:27:22 PM
Outlander- sounded cool. Woman from the war (why is it always the war?) Gets send back in time to 18th century Scotland.  Some cool stuff to it..... but it is largely overpowered by the mills and boon fantasies for middle aged women stuff. Shame.

I'm really liking this show. It's the second season (maybe third?) and I watched it from the beginning.

Yeah, I'm digging it too.

I'm enjoying it / have now started to read the first book.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Shelving Deadwood for the while, starting up on Sopranos.  Just as good as I remember it.  :smoke:

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:04:02 AM
Watched the cartoon series "Rick and Morty". Thought it was perfect in tone for the crowd here.  ;) Any of you seen it?

I was introduced to it on a road trip last year.  Thought it was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekP0LQEsUh0

Only bad episodes were the weird improv episodes, which I guess were popular but didn't work for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Rewatched Walking Dead Seasons 1-5. Gonna talk about it a little, so SPOILER WARNING for those more than a season behind.

First, it's a lot more depressing the second time around. A lot of "up" moments from the series are made bittersweet by the knowledge the characters involved are going to be dead soon. Like Andrea and Dale escaping the explosion at the CDC.

It's amazing how quickly minor characters can disappear. For instance, the entire population of Woodbury. 70 people or so- though they may have lost 20 between the battle at the prison and the governor executing the "deserters". Within half a season, nobody was still around that was introduced as one of the Woodbury people taken in(though Tyreese, Sasha, and Michonne had stayed there at one point or another, they were all introduced before that). The flu, the walker outbreaks at the prison and the one on the bus managed to take them out- well, I suppose it's possible some Woodbury people escaped the Governor's second attack but never went to Terminus, they're off the show anyway. I hope this doesn't happen again in Alexandria, too convenient.

Rick- tells the cop at Grady he was a deputy, tells Deanna he was Sheriff. :yeahright:

Daryl- if they make him gay, that's bad writing. No foreshadowing at all. Also, he seems to have been developing romantic feelings for Beth before she was taken*. Not gonna touch that weird, dysfunctional relationship with Carol.

*based mainly on what people said afterward. One of the assholes he ran with directly afterward said he looked like a man who had just lost a nice, young piece of tail. Also, in 510 (aka the grieving episode), he seems to be taking it as bad as Maggie, and it's commented on by both Rick and Carol.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Love Rick and Morty.  Any show that is recorded while the writers and actors are near incoherently drunk is gonna be a win.

Fuck. Muppets cancelled.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2016, 09:26:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:04:02 AM
Watched the cartoon series "Rick and Morty". Thought it was perfect in tone for the crowd here.  ;) Any of you seen it?

I was introduced to it on a road trip last year.  Thought it was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekP0LQEsUh0

Only bad episodes were the weird improv episodes, which I guess were popular but didn't work for me.

"What is my purpose?"

"You pass butter."

"Oh my God" 

"Yeah, welcome to the club pal." :lol:

I agree, the improv episodes didn't work for me. Except the luck charms rip-off commercial.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDeK42dRIO4
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

It's amazing how quickly minor characters can disappear. For instance, the entire population of Woodbury. 70 people or so- though they may have lost 20 between the battle at the prison and the governor executing the "deserters". Within half a season, nobody was still around that was introduced as one of the Woodbury people taken in(though Tyreese, Sasha, and Michonne had stayed there at one point or another, they were all introduced before that). The flu, the walker outbreaks at the prison and the one on the bus managed to take them out- well, I suppose it's possible some Woodbury people escaped the Governor's second attack but never went to Terminus, they're off the show anyway. I hope this doesn't happen again in Alexandria, too convenient.

Yeah, I always found it just a bit odd that not even one or two of the Woodbury people made it as regulars after the prison attack. The show did a lot with them otherwise, such as during the flu outbreak, etc. so I figured a couple of them would continue on.

Savonarola

City Girl (1930)

A boy fresh off the Minnesota farm goes to Chicago to sell his father's wheat crop.  He doesn't get the price his father wanted, but does bring back a new bride.  Hilarity ensues as she adjusts to family life on the farm.  In the end we all learn a valuable lesson, that city girls aren't necessarily wicked, they're just different.

(While that last point was written in jest; for men of my grandfather's generation (the one who had a farm in northern Michigan), that was a real issue.  City folk were not to be trusted.  He would never have considered marrying a girl who wasn't from the farm.  My mother is from Detroit, and that was difficult for him to accept.  Even my uncle, from the small town of Niles, Michigan, wasn't easy for him to accept.)

This film has some problems.  The director, F.W. Murnau clashed with the studio over a number of points.  They wanted a talkie, but Murnau refused.  Murnau wanted Janet Gaynor to play the girl (her usual partner, Charles Farrell is the boy) instead he got Mary Duncan, allegedly because she was the girlfriend of a Fox executive.  Duncan is pretty, but nowhere near the actress Gaynor was.  Due to these and a number of other clashes, Murnau quit and the film was finished by one of his assistants.  It shows, there are some moments of brilliance, but overall it's not up to Murnau standards.  Still, it's much better than almost anything else made in 1930.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

On the subject of films that have problems...

The Huntsman, Winter's War (2016)

So this is a continuation of the Snow White story from Snow White and the Huntsman, though not featuring Snow White (allegedly because Kristen Stewart had an affair with a Fox executive; Hollywood has changed a lot since 1930.  They should have had Dakota Johnson star in the Kristen Stewart role, she's done it before and obviously has no objection to being in terrible movies.)  Anyhow the wicked queen's sister is betrayed by her lover (or is she?) and creates her own kingdom where everyone is forbidden to love.  She forms her squad of elite, loveless soldiers; but, of course, two of the best fall in love.  The huntsman is expelled, his wife is killed (or is she?) and the events of the first film takes place.  Then the mirror is stolen and he and his comic relief dwarves must find it before the ice queen gets her hands on it.

Even Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt can't help this one.  There's too little focus on any one character to get us to care.  Mr. and Mrs. Huntsman have no on screen chemistry.  The comic relief dwarves aren't funny.  The huntsman seems to believe he's in a light comedy, while everyone else seems to think they're in a grimmer version of Lord of the Rings.  The battles are done with a shaking camera so its hard to see what's going on.

Anyhow, based on this movie and another, I've refined Godard's saying:

Girl with bow and arrow <> movie
Girl with a gun = movie
Girl with a light saber = trilogy
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on May 13, 2016, 09:13:22 AM
Girl with a gun = movie

First two Hunger Games movies were ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on May 13, 2016, 09:13:22 AM
On the subject of films that have problems...

The Huntsman, Winter's War (2016)

So this is a continuation of the Snow White story from Snow White and the Huntsman, though not featuring Snow White (allegedly because Kristen Stewart had an affair with a Fox executive; Hollywood has changed a lot since 1930.  They should have had Dakota Johnson star in the Kristen Stewart role, she's done it before and obviously has no objection to being in terrible movies.)  Anyhow the wicked queen's sister is betrayed by her lover (or is she?) and creates her own kingdom where everyone is forbidden to love.  She forms her squad of elite, loveless soldiers; but, of course, two of the best fall in love.  The huntsman is expelled, his wife is killed (or is she?) and the events of the first film takes place.  Then the mirror is stolen and he and his comic relief dwarves must find it before the ice queen gets her hands on it.

Even Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt can't help this one.  There's too little focus on any one character to get us to care.  Mr. and Mrs. Huntsman have no on screen chemistry.  The comic relief dwarves aren't funny.  The huntsman seems to believe he's in a light comedy, while everyone else seems to think they're in a grimmer version of Lord of the Rings.  The battles are done with a shaking camera so its hard to see what's going on.

Anyhow, based on this movie and another, I've refined Godard's saying:

Girl with a gun = movie

Hence we now need you to review King Lear, a Godard movie produced by Cannon. :)

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 13, 2016, 08:52:39 AM
City folk were not to be trusted.
Nothing really changed  :sleep:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Look Who's Back - they changed a hell of a lot from the book. Only the basic idea remains the same. They got a bit caught up in doing hidden camera stuff which is meh, so so. Not a good adaptation.
Though intestingly gets rather meta as hitler writes the original book :/
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Eh, I've never read the book. The film is hysterical on its own.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".