And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2016, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
Apparently the new Star Trek show will be set in the original continuity, bridging the gap between Star Trek Undiscovered Country, and the TNG show.

Also, it will be an anthology series (every season will have its own plot and cast) which I find mostly intriguing. A big part of Star Trek's charm has always been the crew of the ship, changing it up every season it's a big challenge.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Those are rumors, of course, but Faraci is well-connected.

Looking forward to the short-skirted galactic cheerleader female crew uniforms.

Nah, it's set afetr the original movies, so the uniform will be the monster maroon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I dig the maroon uniforms. When I was a kid I thought they were awesome. Not too worried about them setting the stories before TNG either, they probably want to follow on the original cast movies' themes, since they went the trouble of bringing Meyer on board. Making it an anthology is risky, though. It has always been about the crew.

viper37

I could see that new Trek series depicting the Cardassian - Federation border wars at some point.  A year on that.  Making references to minor characters that appeared once on DS9 or TNG, on either side.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2016, 01:09:04 PM
Nah, it's set afetr the original movies, so the uniform will be the monster maroon.

Could be. I know they ditched the dresses and went to pajamas early in TNG though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2016, 02:02:22 PM

Could be. I know they ditched the dresses and went to pajamas early in TNG though.

I don't know the exact years or stardates (presumably you could look it up on memory alpha), but the crew of both the Enterprise-B and Enterprise-C wore the maroon uniforms.  As a look, I quite like that particular uniform.  As an 80s child it's probably because it is what I grew up with though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Spectre. Had some good parts, but was overlong, plot kinda sketchy, and way too many computers.

If they're gonna keep making Bond movies, they really ought to go back to setting them during the Cold War. Harumph.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 03:15:54 PM
Spectre. Had some good parts, but was overlong, plot kinda sketchy, and way too many computers.

If they're gonna keep making Bond movies, they really ought to go back to setting them during the Cold War. Harumph.

The Mexico City intro was the best part.

I remember climbing up the bell tower of that cathedral! It was awesome!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2016, 03:24:24 PM
The Mexico City intro was the best part.

I agree. It was cool seeing all the people decked out as skeletons and watching Bond slide down a collapsing building. Then the fight in the helicopter was the best fight scene of the film.

celedhring

Christopher Waltz made a very unmemorable Blofeld, that was my biggest disappointment. And yeah, the film was bloated and confusing, despite some good parts (I liked when he sneaks in the Spectre meeting).

Josephus

Marina Sirtis :blush:

Wonder if she could sense what I felt when she wore that mini skirt
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 03:57:02 PM
Christopher Waltz made a very unmemorable Blofeld, that was my biggest disappointment.

Who was your favorite Blofeld?

My vote would probably go to Donald Pleasance.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 11:06:25 AMThe whole series has had a rather adolescent take on how politics work, but that takes center stage in this one.

Rather surprising, especially for adolescent fiction.

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2016, 04:05:25 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 03:57:02 PM
Christopher Waltz made a very unmemorable Blofeld, that was my biggest disappointment.

Who was your favorite Blofeld?

My vote would probably go to Donald Pleasance.

Pleasance without a doubt, yeah. He's one of the reasons You Only Live Twice is one of my favorite Bond movies.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2016, 04:00:47 PM

Marina Sirtis :blush:

Wonder if she could sense what I felt when she wore that mini skirt

Marina wasn't bad, but I thought Gates McFadden's MILFness was far more overpowering.  :blush:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2016, 01:05:51 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
Apparently the new Star Trek show will be set in the original continuity, bridging the gap between Star Trek Undiscovered Country, and the TNG show.

Also, it will be an anthology series (every season will have its own plot and cast) which I find mostly intriguing. A big part of Star Trek's charm has always been the crew of the ship, changing it up every season it's a big challenge.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Those are rumors, of course, but Faraci is well-connected.

That sounds terrible.

Prequels? :x

And yes - a big part of Star Trek was getting invested in the characters.  Why wipe that out and start fresh every year?

Maybe they could go halfsies on the anthology idea...when one season ends, it has one/two favorite characters transferring/promoting to a new ship...kinda how many TNG crew members should have more plausibly done.