And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 08:08:42 AM
John C Reilly at no three? Even after Stepbrothers?  :huh:

Day-Lewis has "Nine", too... and "Gangs of New York" wasn't really a great film (as much as I love Scorsese). Don't think you'll find a spotless record anywhere.

Eddie Teach

Sure, but he's also got Walk Hard and Talladega Nights on his resume.  :P

I think I actually enjoyed Nine. NVM, that was 9. The one with the sewing pattern thingamabobs. And apparently featured Reilly's voice.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

"Nine" was the pedantic adaptation of Fellini's 8 1/2 as a broadway musical, with extremely uncatchy and uninspired songs barring "Be Italian" - and even that one was poorly rendered in the film. A bunch of American/English actors with poor accents pretending to be Italians, what could go wrong?

mongers

Again watching a series about people with tourette, autism or asperbergers as they struggle to find any sort of appropriate work; hard viewing given how crushing their life experiences have been to date.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Savonarola

The Love Trap (1929)

This one comes from Hollywood's awkward age.  The first hour of the movie is a silent film; it's light and fun film about a chorus girl who gets fired from her job the day the rent is due.  She goes with her friend to a party where millionaires mingle with chorus girls.  She gets taken to a room by a would-be seducer; but escapes, still broke.  She returns home to find her furniture out on the street.  Then it starts to rain.  A passer-by notices her and, wouldn't you know it, he's a millionaire.  They get married and all seems to be going swimmingly until his family meets her...

...and then the film becomes a sound film.  The dialogue is stilted.  The leading lady, Laura La Plante, so fluid in the silent portion; becomes wooden and reads her lines badly.  The film takes a melodramatic turn at this point; but with some ingenuity the lovers are united at the end.  The director, William Wyler, would go on to direct many Hollywood classics.  The leading man, Neil Hamilton, would go on to become Commissioner Gordon in the Batman television show.  Laura La Plante's best days were behind her, she made a couple films after this, but never had the career that she did in the silent era.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Been watching Vikings. Good stuff.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2016, 11:05:16 AM
Been watching Vikings. Good stuff.

I have watched the first three episodes of season 4.  The directing seems different from the first three seasons. 

Tonitrus

Better Call Saul is keeping a good, high-quality tempo.

But you also know it's leading up to a big, tragic, Saul/Darth Vader-like moment.

celedhring

Apparently the new Star Trek show will be set in the original continuity, bridging the gap between Star Trek Undiscovered Country, and the TNG show.

Also, it will be an anthology series (every season will have its own plot and cast) which I find mostly intriguing. A big part of Star Trek's charm has always been the crew of the ship, changing it up every season it's a big challenge.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Those are rumors, of course, but Faraci is well-connected.

Eddie Teach

Mockingjay part 2. It was better than Mockingjay part 1, which committed the cardinal sin of being boring. However, this film was still deeply problematic. Most of the action takes place on a mission that achieves nothing at all. In the beginning, there was way too much talk about Peeta by characters who should be more focused on the big picture. The whole series has had a rather adolescent take on how politics work, but that takes center stage in this one.

Overall, I think the author kinda runs out of inspiration. Taking the Theseus story and removing the minotaur in favor of a battle royale among the tributes was a neat concept and the first two movies are pretty entertaining for it. The capital city and its denizens are also pretty fanciful. But by the fourth movie, there's not much more to be said about the world of Panem. The new things they throw in(like ghouls in the sewer) just seem out of place.

Still, it's watchable, especially if you've already invested the time in the first 3 films.

garbon

I think the writer got lost after the first two books. 3rd book was a hot mess and the first half of it was much more boring than Mockingjay part 1.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Not the first half, just until Katniss gets to the capital.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
Apparently the new Star Trek show will be set in the original continuity, bridging the gap between Star Trek Undiscovered Country, and the TNG show.

Also, it will be an anthology series (every season will have its own plot and cast) which I find mostly intriguing. A big part of Star Trek's charm has always been the crew of the ship, changing it up every season it's a big challenge.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Looking forward to the short-skirted galactic cheerleader female crew uniforms.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2016, 11:02:08 AM

That sounds terrible.

Prequels? :x

And yes - a big part of Star Trek was getting invested in the characters.  Why wipe that out and start fresh every year?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.