And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2016, 10:28:08 AM
Anyone still watching The Americans?
It used to be great...but I just can't get into it now.

Yeah...too much focus on the daughter...she's not even that cute... less on actual spying. But we'll see where it goes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

La Belle et la Bête (1946)

In part a product of its time and place; the immediate post-war France.  The film was planned during the occupation, when apolitical films like fairy tales were much more likely to get through the censorship office and Aryan actors like Jean Marais and Josette Day were desired.  At the time of filming they could get sumptuous haute courture; but had difficulty getting sheets without patches.  Production had to be stopped when the drapes off of Belle's bed were stolen.  They couldn't find a deer carcass for sale, so they had to substitute a dog with antlers (like the Grinch did later.)   Jean Cocteau was never the critics favorite and he had recently been savaged by Jean Paul Sartre for being insufficiently political, so he had to include the handwritten defense of his film in the beginning.  (It didn't help, the film was still savaged by critics.)

In part its a result of Cocteau's quirky vision.  He wanted the special effects to be the same as those used by Georges Méliès half a century earlier.  He went way out of his way to make Jean Marais (his then lover) to look as gorgeous as possible on film, usually bathing him in a halo.  He demanded the cinematographer shoot the film in a documentary style, as though it were a documentary of an enchanted castle.

Somehow this all works together and made for a classic film.  The Criterion version has the Philip Glass opera as one of the soundtracks.  I had never seen that before.  It started out a little like Dark Side of the Rainbow; but once the film gets going it works, though I prefer the original soundtrack.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

And another film for children of a certain age:

The Peanuts Movie (2015)

A nice little bit of nostalgia; they kept the phones with cords, beanbag chairs and typewriters in.  The story might be a little overly sweet (especially as compared to the 60s era golden age of the Peanuts) and padded out (half the movie seems to be Snoopy chasing The Red Baron.)  Still its worthwhile; not as good as "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown," but much better than "Flashbeagle."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Burn :face:

http://heroichollywood.com/reactions-critics-screening-captain-america-civil-war/
Quote from: ReviewerCivil War and BvS tackle some of the same themes and have similar beats, yet Cap works because we know and care about these characters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 11, 2016, 02:51:41 PM
Thanks, it was robably due to Louis de Funès more than a directorial choice then.  I could understand some of what the other actors were saying; but whenever he was around it was well beyond my ability.

Consider yourself happy of not having to watch it in German.  :lol: With German having way longer sentences than French, themselves longer than in English, German dubbing, already grating to the ears, is hysterical in this case, in a bad way for such a gifted comedian as de Funès.

It was strange to hear characters playing brother and sister vousvoyer one another; but (almost) exclusive use of the formal second person happened in 17th century English as well.  We just never got out of the habit.   :bowler:

Formal second person between parents and children was in use till the 20th century (till the '60s) in bourgeois circles in France.  :smarty:
In Portugal, with the infamous tratamento formal, it's even worse, courtesy forms were de rigueur from children to parents till my parents' generation.

celedhring

My dad still used second person plural to address his parents. My mother didn't, though (but she's 12 years younger than my dad).

Admiral Yi

How do you say cradle robber in Spanish?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2016, 06:17:46 AM
How do you say cradle robber in Spanish?

Asaltacunas.

Yeah, she was outside of the Dirty Old Man rule when they got married.

Martinus

Such age difference was quite common in Europe until the late 20th century. My parents have 10 years between them, but again no "craddle robber" rule broken, as father was 40 and mother 30 when they met.

celedhring

It's weird because my mom was pretty hot too. I remember spotting my friend's fathers ogling her when she would come to pick me at school, since she was the youngest parent there.

My dad, such a hero.  :cool:

celedhring

Can't claim that the results are too surprising.

Incidentally, Jason Statham has been in a bunch of good films, the fact that those accrue for only 18% of his filmography drives home how much crap he's done. At one point he seemed to be in like half a dozen crappy cheap action films every year.

Eddie Teach

Got one for the best films?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2016, 07:59:30 AM
Got one for the best films?

Yes.

I can't believe that DeNiro figure; he's been in tons of shit in the past 10 years.

garbon

Weird how on the actress ones they didn't always choose the photos for the 'top' 3.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

John C Reilly at no three? Even after Stepbrothers?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?