News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2016, 01:57:21 AM
I had never seen the end of Matrix Revolutions until now.  Seen the Nip getting ginzued a billion times, but I've always given up when Keanu comes face to face with the Windows God Emperor.

What a retarded and pointless ending.  Jeez.  That last fight scene just went on and on and on.

I remember watching that in the theater and getting bored.  My friends asked me "even during the robot mech battle?"  "Yeah, even during that.".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2016, 12:34:11 AM
Breakfast at Tiffany's (had not seen it before)

I teared up at the cat scene.  Long time since I've done that with a film.  :cry:

You big softie, you.

Unfortunately, unlike the end of the movie, the Holly Golightlys of the world never figure it out.  That's why it's called Fiction.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2016, 12:05:36 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2016, 12:34:11 AM
Breakfast at Tiffany's (had not seen it before)

I teared up at the cat scene.  Long time since I've done that with a film.  :cry:

You big softie, you.

Unfortunately, unlike the end of the movie, the Holly Golightlys of the world never figure it out.  That's why it's called Fiction.

Don't misunderstand...I didn't care too much about Holly and Hannibal Smith....but the cat's face when she abandoned it, and that they went back for the cat.  :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 08, 2016, 11:07:46 AM
L'Avare (The Miser) (1980)

Moliere's comedy is brought to the big screen in this filmed version of the play.  The production values are such that maybe it should have been kept on the small screen; but Louis de Funès gives a manic energy to Harpagon that it works pretty well.  I just finished reading a couple of plays by Plautus and Terrence and it struck me how similar this play was in spirit to those writers.  (To be fair some of Shakespeare's early comedies also fit in with those playwrights, in fact "Comedy of Errors" is derived from a couple plays by Plautus.)

Question to the francophones (or francophiles): is the rapid delivery of lines typical of l'ancienne comedie; or is that an affectation for this film?

Louis de Funès is well known for his rapid delivery. I have not watched l'Avare in years though. French wiki says cuts to the original text were extremely limited, maybe that explains it as well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2016, 03:13:51 PM
Don't misunderstand...I didn't care too much about Holly and Hannibal Smith....but the cat's face when she abandoned it, and that they went back for the cat.  :)

lol, yeah.  Poor cat was the most sympathetic character in the movie.

Meowtf bitch

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Did she ever get around to naming it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Knocked out the first two episodes of The Girlfriend Experience.  Interesting;  typical sanitary Soderbergh direction, a springboard from his movie with Sasha Grey a few years ago; but this Christie/Chelsea strikes me as dangerous. 
Much different than the professional GFE's I have known, but Chelsea operates at a much higher altitude, the kind that never had to worry about getting bailed out.

Had absolutely no idea that was Lisa Marie's daughter.  Holy shit, the King's granddaughter. 

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of The Pathfinder the other night.  Viking kid gets (captured/rescued?) by Indians and raised as one of their own.  Battles Vikings a la Dances with Smurfs when they show back up.

They wrecked it for me by depicting the Vikings as invincible mounted troll knights swinging ball and chains.  There could have a been a reasonable movie if they had stayed away from all the stupid Warhammer shit.

I imagine the good guys win somehow and our hero hooks up with the babe.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Watched a bit of The Pathfinder the other night.  Viking kid gets (captured/rescued?) by Indians and raised as one of their own.  Battles Vikings a la Dances with Smurfs when they show back up.

They wrecked it for me by depicting the Vikings as invincible mounted troll knights swinging ball and chains.  There could have a been a reasonable movie if they had stayed away from all the stupid Warhammer shit.

I imagine the good guys win somehow and our hero hooks up with the babe.

You could check out the Oscar-nominated Norwegian 1987 original. It might be slightly better. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2016, 09:06:35 PM
Knocked out the first two episodes of The Girlfriend Experience.  Interesting;  typical sanitary Soderbergh direction, a springboard from his movie with Sasha Grey a few years ago; but this Christie/Chelsea strikes me as dangerous. 
Much different than the professional GFE's I have known, but Chelsea operates at a much higher altitude, the kind that never had to worry about getting bailed out.

Had absolutely no idea that was Lisa Marie's daughter.  Holy shit, the King's granddaughter.

Well that's a frisky little show.

Josquius

Anyone still watching The Americans?
It used to be great...but I just can't get into it now.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 10, 2016, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 08, 2016, 11:07:46 AM
L'Avare (The Miser) (1980)

Moliere's comedy is brought to the big screen in this filmed version of the play.  The production values are such that maybe it should have been kept on the small screen; but Louis de Funès gives a manic energy to Harpagon that it works pretty well.  I just finished reading a couple of plays by Plautus and Terrence and it struck me how similar this play was in spirit to those writers.  (To be fair some of Shakespeare's early comedies also fit in with those playwrights, in fact "Comedy of Errors" is derived from a couple plays by Plautus.)

Question to the francophones (or francophiles): is the rapid delivery of lines typical of l'ancienne comedie; or is that an affectation for this film?

Louis de Funès is well known for his rapid delivery. I have not watched l'Avare in years though. French wiki says cuts to the original text were extremely limited, maybe that explains it as well.

Thanks, it was robably due to Louis de Funès more than a directorial choice then.  I could understand some of what the other actors were saying; but whenever he was around it was well beyond my ability.

It was strange to hear characters playing brother and sister vousvoyer one another; but (almost) exclusive use of the formal second person happened in 17th century English as well.  We just never got out of the habit.   :bowler:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock