News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Started watching a new series called The Aliens- it seems to be aimed at being a replacement for Misfits. Basically District 9 crossed with Snatch in a TV series. Aliens crash landed some years ago and are now kept in a ghetto. They're pretty much human looking though different sound frequencies hurt them to humans and their hair is a ultra powerful narcotic when smoked.
Replacement werewolf guy from being human is border security guard, very racist against the "morks" (lol). Until he discovers he is half alien,  despite that being in possible.
Together with a weird closeted gay alien who has a thing for him and a very interesting looking black chick alien  (I think she's hot....maybe. but in that rira fukushima not quite human way) he gets involved with the alien criminal underworld.
Pretty good so far. I'm two episodes in.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2016, 02:02:22 AM
Started watching a new series called The Aliens- it seems to be aimed at being a replacement for Misfits. Basically District 9 crossed with Snatch in a TV series. Aliens crash landed some years ago and are now kept in a ghetto. They're pretty much human looking though different sound frequencies hurt them to humans and their hair is a ultra powerful narcotic when smoked.
Replacement werewolf guy from being human is border security guard, very racist against the "morks" (lol). Until he discovers he is half alien,  despite that being in possible.
Together with a weird closeted gay alien who has a thing for him and a very interesting looking black chick alien  (I think she's hot....maybe. but in that rira fukushima not quite human way) he gets involved with the alien criminal underworld.

Yeah, that setup sounds a lot like a District 9 ripoff. Loved Misfits myself, might check it out if it makes it over here.

viper37

Anybody watched "Underground"?  It's apparently very good.  It's about slaves plotting to escape their plantation and join the railroad up to Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

L'Avare (The Miser) (1980)

Moliere's comedy is brought to the big screen in this filmed version of the play.  The production values are such that maybe it should have been kept on the small screen; but Louis de Funès gives a manic energy to Harpagon that it works pretty well.  I just finished reading a couple of plays by Plautus and Terrence and it struck me how similar this play was in spirit to those writers.  (To be fair some of Shakespeare's early comedies also fit in with those playwrights, in fact "Comedy of Errors" is derived from a couple plays by Plautus.)

Question to the francophones (or francophiles): is the rapid delivery of lines typical of l'ancienne comedie; or is that an affectation for this film?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2016, 02:18:48 AM
Lol, I'd love to see Sav's take on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxAlJq94-b8&feature=player_embedded

http://pictorial.jezebel.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-all-american-catchphrase-free-1729621311

I'm not going to slog all the way through a Jezebel.com article; CNN is about the limit of my pain threshold for journalism.  That being said "I'm free, I'm white and I'm 21" was indeed a popular catch phrase in movies of the 30s.  It demonstrated that the speaker was a strong, independent, modern woman unchained from the patriarchal attitudes of the previous generation.

Edit:  Sort of like using the phrase "Mansplaining" would be today.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2016, 03:04:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2016, 02:02:22 AM

Yeah, that setup sounds a lot like a District 9 ripoff. Loved Misfits myself, might check it out if it makes it over here.

District 9?  The original rip-off is from Alien Nation.  :mad:

Josquius

Kramer Vs. Kramer- For obvious reasons this is become ever more of a rarity. Great old films that I have somehow never seen. Despite the plot outline sounding thoroughly dull its actually a very very good film
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Rush. The story of the rivalry between James Hunt and Nikki Lauda. Cars, women, larger than life personalities and some pretty fine filmmaking to showcase them all. I liked it quite a bit. Highly recommendable even if you don't give a damn about car racing - and I don't.

Admiral Yi

I've run into a brick wall in Deadwood.  It feels like Mrs. Breaking Bad has been washing that dead kid's body for a week.  While staring stoically at the Olyphant.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on April 04, 2016, 06:12:40 AM
I cried my eyes out over last night's "Shameless" episode.
It kind of sticks with me.

Beautifully unexpected crush-all-your-hopes surprise ending.

Eddie Teach

Star Wars 7. Solid film.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Breakfast at Tiffany's (had not seen it before)

I teared up at the cat scene.  Long time since I've done that with a film.  :cry:

Eddie Teach

I think I remember the film.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I had never seen the end of Matrix Revolutions until now.  Seen the Nip getting ginzued a billion times, but I've always given up when Keanu comes face to face with the Windows God Emperor.

What a retarded and pointless ending.  Jeez.  That last fight scene just went on and on and on.