Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 04:10:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2016, 01:24:00 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 09:47:14 AM
"Come and See" isn't screened often because of how brutal it is. That's hurt his chances of becoming a well-known film, even within the nosy film nerd world.

I thought it was reasonably well known among film nerds. Not, obviously, among the general public though. As you say, too brutal.

It isn't. Yes, many will recognize the name, but few will have seen it. For starters it didn't make the viewing list of the course I took in Eastern European cinema, and I am sure a reason for that is how brutal it is.

Interesting. It seems to come up reasonably regularly among history nerds though (as in 'the best movie to actually depict the insanity of the Nazi war in the East vs. civilians? Probably Come and See').

Maybe it is better known by them than by film nerds.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2016, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 04:10:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 20, 2016, 01:24:00 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2016, 09:47:14 AM
"Come and See" isn't screened often because of how brutal it is. That's hurt his chances of becoming a well-known film, even within the nosy film nerd world.

I thought it was reasonably well known among film nerds. Not, obviously, among the general public though. As you say, too brutal.

It isn't. Yes, many will recognize the name, but few will have seen it. For starters it didn't make the viewing list of the course I took in Eastern European cinema, and I am sure a reason for that is how brutal it is.

Interesting. It seems to come up reasonably regularly among history nerds though (as in 'the best movie to actually depict the insanity of the Nazi war in the East vs. civilians? Probably Come and See').

Maybe it is better known by them than by film nerds.  ;)

One thing I have noticed over the years; film nerds are usually squeamish :p

celedhring

Seen the first ep of Daredevil season 2. What a blast to finally see[spoiler] Frank Fucking Castle[/spoiler] in a TV show/film that's actually good. Really looking forward the rest of the season.

Capetan Mihali

Hmm, never even heard of "Come And See," though I'm very ignorant on Eastern Bloc cinema, besides the early Soviet experimental films ("Man With A Movie Camera"!) and some of the later Czech and Polish work.  Planning on checking it out tonight.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

A moral case study, from the TV show "Billions:"

Our protagonist/villain was a partner in some kind of financial company headquartered in the Twin Towers.  He was out of the office when the planes hit.  He saw the first plane hit and started shorting airline and hotel stocks in European markets (he was betting their stock prices would fall).  He made a great deal of money doing this.  All the other people in his company died.  The brother of the woman he ended up marrying was a fireman who died.

Did he do a terrible thing?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2016, 11:10:33 PM

Our protagonist/villain was a partner in some kind of financial company headquartered in the Twin Towers.  He was out of the office when the planes hit.  He saw the first plane hit and started shorting airline and hotel stocks in European markets (he was betting their stock prices would fall).  He made a great deal of money doing this.  All the other people in his company died.  The brother of the woman he ended up marrying was a fireman who died.

he saw an opportunity, he took it.
However, let's look at how realistic that was in 2001.  Specifically that 11 of September 2001.
The attacks happenned before the stock exchange opened and they remained closed until the 17th of September.

Now, other stock exchanges would have remained opened, in all likelyhood.  However, New York was the biggest stock market at the time and most airline&hotel companies of the world were listed there.
I also doubt foreign companies took that big a hit on their home stock exchange.
And then, you have the logistic problem.  He needs access to a computer that has all his financial information.  This is 2001, you can't do it with a phone.  If he was in another branch of his company, that's possible, but I suspect most occidental stock exchanges had airline stocks frozen very soon, so, shorting would not have made a millionaire, unless he found some Russian or Chinese airline/hotel stock he could shortsell.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Anyone catch Letterkenny yet?  It's a CraveTV original.  I saw the first episode and found it entertaining.  I'll probably try to track down the rest.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Well for starters as a fictional show this probably never happened in real life.  For starters the NYSE never opened on September 11th - the attacks occurred before the opening bell - and remained open until September 17th (yes, I had to google for the exact days).  I can't recall if the Euro markets did, but given how the 9/11 attacks were broadcast worldwide within minutes the opportunity to make the trades you suggest would be available only for a handful of minutes.  The Euro markets did drop like a stone on 9/11.

But assuming the hypothetical... you say he was "out of the office".  I think it depends what his alternatives were.  Did he have any other reasonable alternatives?  Could he have spent his time warning colleagues not to come to work that day, and did he know that they weren't yet at work (or likely weren't)?  They yes, putting his personal gain in front of the safety of others is terrible.

But otherwise... if he was otherwise just twiddling his thumbs... then there is nothing immoral about seeing a business opportunity.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Did he do it as a private individual or as part of the company (I don't know how significant it is for the situation that he was a partner)? Taking the day off for private gain may not be totally kosher. If he did it as work then it's just "the show must go on" and OK.

The above doesn't include the marriage. That one is of course not terrible (by the informaion presented).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

See what I did there? Not in the Tower? Kosher? Yeah.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Weird, I thought the character was supposed to be Irish, but it looks like you're right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I don't think what he did was morally terrible, but being the kind of person who thinks "Hey, how can I make some cash from this?" at that particular moment in time and under those circumstances probably indicates that you are rather likely a fucking asshole.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

He was in the area at the time: Yeah. He's a psychopath.
He just saw it on TV: Not so bad. Nothing he could do to help afterall so seems fairly rational.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2016, 03:35:06 PM
He just saw it on TV: Not so bad. Nothing he could do to help afterall so seems fairly rational.

Even seeing it on TV, he knows his "friends" and co-workers are potentially in serious danger, right?

There is this incredible event going on, which is going to change the world. Further, you are personally invested in it in that it is happening right were you work.

Whether you can help or not, if you are the kind of human being whose mind immediately goes to "How can I make some cash from this?" you are probably an asshole.

Now, I've only seen one or two episodes of the show, but I think that is exactly the kind of person they are trying to create here - he is, at the very least, an asshole.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 03:39:00 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2016, 03:35:06 PM

Even seeing it on TV, he knows his "friends" and co-workers are potentially in serious danger, right?

There is this incredible event going on, which is going to change the world. Further, you are personally invested in it in that it is happening right were you work.

Whether you can help or not, if you are the kind of human being whose mind immediately goes to "How can I make some cash from this?" you are probably an asshole.

Now, I've only seen one or two episodes of the show, but I think that is exactly the kind of person they are trying to create here - he is, at the very least, an asshole.
He's a trader.
He's probably an ass hole anyway :p
██████
██████
██████