News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

You know, you made me look it up, and certainly horror westerns are a nonexistent genre. I guess it isn't surprising, given that the intersection between horror audiences and the (meagre) western audiences must be around 2-3 people.

The film comes out in April on DVD over here, will see if it gets added somewhere for rental.

Darth Wagtaros

There was an HBO movie, James Earl Jones was in it.  Came out years ago. Western Horror.  Ghosts and such.  Maybe it was Showtime.
PDH!

lustindarkness

Priest (2011/12?) was kinda of a post apocalyptic horror western IIRC.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Larch

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2016, 11:10:19 PM
WINNER! Best original score: Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight
I read that it's his first Oscar, which is really surprising as he is one of the very few composers of film music that I actually know.

His work for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or Once Upon A Time in the West wasn't even nominated.  :huh:

Josquius

Why no Shameless this week? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on February 29, 2016, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2016, 11:54:32 PM
Watched Bone Tomahawk last night on Amazon Prime.  Now there's a genre I wasn't aware existed--a Horror Western.  Great film.

8 bone neck-whistles out of 10.
There's a Tremor movie set in the old West as well as a vampire flick From Dusk 'til Dawn. ;)

Those aren't Westerns.   ;)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on February 29, 2016, 11:55:58 AM
(meagre) western audiences

Westerns are still great, it's just modern audiences like variety in our adventure movie settings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on February 29, 2016, 12:56:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2016, 11:10:19 PM
WINNER! Best original score: Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight
I read that it's his first Oscar, which is really surprising as he is one of the very few composers of film music that I actually know.

His work for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or Once Upon A Time in the West wasn't even nominated.  :huh:

He had received a honorific one a few years ago, this is the first one he receives from a nomination. Regarding his lack of awards, bear in mind that Spaghetti Westerns were considered B-movies and not prestigious back in their day, the critical re-evaluation that made them the classics that they are now took place later than their time.

It was said that his work for Once Upon a Time in America was a shoe-in for the award back in 1984, but the producer didn't file the paperwork on time for it to be considered.  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 01:03:42 PM

Westerns are still great, it's just modern audiences like variety in our adventure movie settings.

I like westerns, but very few get made every year.

celedhring

Heh, I just learnt that a friend of mine actually has the Spanish rights to Bone Tomahawk. He's handling the release over here.

I'll ask for a review BR  :sleep:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on February 29, 2016, 12:59:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 29, 2016, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2016, 11:54:32 PM
Watched Bone Tomahawk last night on Amazon Prime.  Now there's a genre I wasn't aware existed--a Horror Western.  Great film.

8 bone neck-whistles out of 10.
There's a Tremor movie set in the old West as well as a vampire flick From Dusk 'til Dawn. ;)

Those aren't Westerns.   ;)
bah.  They have six shooters, horses and they dress like cowboys.  Close 'nuff for me! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 29, 2016, 01:03:42 PM

that's why the studios have 600 super heroes movies lined up for the next 5 years
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

They don't have nearly that many.

And of course, superhero stuff doesn't all use the same setting. For instance, Guardians of the Galaxy is set on other planets. Captain America & Agent Carter are set in the 1940s. The Wolverine movies are set at various times in the past. Even the modern day superhero movies are all over the globe. As are the not-quite-superhero fare like Mission Impossible and Die Hard sequels.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?