Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2016, 05:32:50 PM
I just binge-watched the entire first season of "BoJack Horseman".  :huh:

2nd season is also very binge-worthy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Drakken on January 10, 2016, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2016, 04:24:44 PM
Also watched Conspiracy, a reconstruction of the Wannsee conference. Pretty good too, although it really wasn't much of a conference.

Well yes, it was a conference, as in a bunch of VIPs gathering together to exchange ideas, network, and coordinate. It's just that it was policy already decided above their heads. They were only there to work on the details, and even that the SS already had decided the means and was running the show.

I didn't buy Branagh as Heydrich. Yes, you could feel the ice-cool sociopathic charisma of the guy, and Branagh is a terrific actor. They just don't look alike, and it was distracting.

Neither did I buy the feeble attempts to depict Stuckart and Kritzinger as the "good guys" and the sole voices of reason among this madness. I understand we needed people to relate atus, to speak our own disgust at the whole situation. Yet Stuckart's opposition was not based on moral grounds, but because it was bypassing all the "work" he had done in legally distinguishing a "Jew" from a "Non-Jew" in the Nuremberg Laws. He supported the forced sterilization of people with Jewish heritage, rather than exterminating them; hardly a heroic stance.

Kritzinger's so-called vocal opposition during the conference was never substantially corrobated by evidence. We know he tried to resign his post soon afterwards (it was repeatedly denied) and we know he expressed he was ashamed during his testimony at the Nuremberg Trials. However, the real reasons behind this dissidence are still unknown to this day.

Perhaps it's because these two roles were given to Colin Firth and David Threlfall, who usually play sympathetic characters.

I don't know about them being presented as "good guys". It seemed they were surprised/angry at being sidelined, but not too morally outraged and hardly voices of reason.

celedhring

I think it was great/chilling - from a horror perspective - how their objections were mostly utilitarian and not moral in nature.

I like that film a lot.

celedhring

Hollywood scrapping the bottom of the idea barrel...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-emoji-movie-opens-in-cinemas-in-august-2017-2015-12

It's the cinematic event of the decade, and now it has a release date: "The Emoji Movie" will open in cinemas on August 11, 2017.

The film is the work of Sony Pictures Animation, Variety reports, and details about the plot are still thin on the ground — beyond the fact it will feature the smiley faces and icons made ubiquitous by smartphones.

Josquius

That Netflix offers different shows in different countries due to outdated licensing rules is something I get.
But when they have the same shows though don't have a variety of subtitles? Just wtf.
Accidentally used swiss Netflix today. No english or Italian subtitles to be seen. Some shows only in German :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2016, 12:51:27 PM
That Netflix offers different shows in different countries due to outdated licensing rules is something I get.
But when they have the same shows though don't have a variety of subtitles? Just wtf.
Accidentally used swiss Netflix today. No english or Italian subtitles to be seen. Some shows only in German :bleeding:

A licensing issue too. Somebody else must hold the rights to the English/Italian version.

We need some sprucing up of the rules at the European level, but it's not easy.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2016, 12:51:27 PM

A licensing issue too. Somebody else must hold the rights to the English/Italian version.

We need some sprucing up of the rules at the European level, but it's not easy.
Makes sense for dubs though if you buy dvds usually they have subtitles for a bunch of languages. It really seems bizzare that there would be so much red tape over a bit of text.
I'd be very curious to know the details and if Netflix are giving a fuck- from my observations working abroad is only going to become more common.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's easier to do in domestic releases of movies, those rights are rarely broken up and studios have distribution arms encompassing all of the European market. You essentially sell the same DVD (with some packaging changes) throughout most of Europe since it includes several dubs and subtitles.

The problem with TV content (and that includes films that are shown in TV as opposed to DVD/BR) is that the rights are usually sold piecemeal for different languages and countries, since broadcasters are national in nature. Selling the rights for a particular language is also pretty common. That creates those borders that a supra-national company like Netflix has to contend with.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2016, 10:47:59 AM
I think it was great/chilling - from a horror perspective - how their objections were mostly utilitarian and not moral in nature.

I like that film a lot.

Actually the most shocking thing for me was the ending, seeing how many of them were not found guilty or otherwise evaded justice.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2016, 10:07:29 AM
Time After Time. HG Wells invents a time machine and chases Jack the Ripper into the future. It's actually not bad.  :sleep:

Continuing, and most likely ending, my series on time travel and San Francisco- Star Trek IV.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

This Simpson's 80s couch gag makes me want to play Vice City again.  :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

"Push it to the limit!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 05:14:52 PM

"Push it to the limit!"

Since the Simpsons debuted in December 1989, hasn't the show already made an 80s couch gag? :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2016, 05:14:52 PM

"Push it to the limit!"

:lol:

Awesome.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Saw parts of some future caveman/mutant movie starring Sean Bean.  He was also in that Jodie Foster hijacking movie I mentioned.  Does he do a lot of B movies?

celedhring

It's an official poster  :lol: