Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You had *the* hots for him. :nerd:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

celedhring

John Wick. This movie should be awful, yet it's awesome.

Eddie Teach

Time After Time. HG Wells invents a time machine and chases Jack the Ripper into the future. It's actually not bad.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Sucker Punch. OK, but not as good as Bitch Slap. Could do without the Björk music. Rocket is hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

American Horror Story....once again, good start, wonderful premise, just fizzles out midway through. Started to lose it around eps. 6 or 7. Will make it to the final episode, though, unlike some previous seasons.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2016, 10:07:29 AM
Time After Time. HG Wells invents a time machine and chases Jack the Ripper into the future. It's actually not bad.  :sleep:

Yeah, it's not bad, I have the dvd someone. One could certainly watch it again, as I have.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Finally saw Das Leben der Anderen. It's very very good.

Also watched Conspiracy, a reconstruction of the Wannsee conference. Pretty good too, although it really wasn't much of a conference.

Admiral Yi

Fury Road is in rotation on HBO for those who haven't seen or those who want another look.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2016, 04:32:04 PM
Fury Road is in rotation on HBO for those who haven't seen or those who want another look.
What about those of us who own the 3D blu ray?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Keep seeing ads for the Batman vs Superman, still looks like ass.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

I just binge-watched the entire first season of "BoJack Horseman".  :huh:

Drakken

Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2016, 04:24:44 PM
Also watched Conspiracy, a reconstruction of the Wannsee conference. Pretty good too, although it really wasn't much of a conference.

Well yes, it was a conference, as in a bunch of VIPs gathering together to exchange ideas, network, and coordinate. It's just that it was policy already decided above their heads. They were only there to work on the details, and even that the SS already had decided the means and was running the show.

I didn't buy Branagh as Heydrich. Yes, you could feel the ice-cool sociopathic charisma of the guy, and Branagh is a terrific actor. They just don't look alike, and it was distracting.

Neither did I buy the feeble attempts to depict Stuckart and Kritzinger as the "good guys" and the sole voices of reason among this madness. I understand we needed people to relate atus, to speak our own disgust at the whole situation. Yet Stuckart's opposition was not based on moral grounds, but because it was bypassing all the "work" he had done in legally distinguishing a "Jew" from a "Non-Jew" in the Nuremberg Laws. He supported the forced sterilization of people with Jewish heritage, rather than exterminating them; hardly a heroic stance.

Kritzinger's so-called vocal opposition during the conference was never substantially corrobated by evidence. We know he tried to resign his post soon afterwards (it was repeatedly denied) and we know he expressed he was ashamed during his testimony at the Nuremberg Trials. However, the real reasons behind this dissidence are still unknown to this day.

Perhaps it's because these two roles were given to Colin Firth and David Threlfall, who usually play sympathetic characters.

Sophie Scholl

I just endured The Hateful 8.  Is there a director more taken with themselves and over indulgent than Tarantino now?  Damn. 2/7.5
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."