News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 17, 2015, 03:08:48 AM
Already the Star Wars spoilers are coming. I think I have to turn off the internet for a few days. I don't know how I'm gonna trade.

Yeah, I was just reading a random tech article, and the dudes in the comments section were talking about Star Wars, with mild spoilers. It's gonna be impossible.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2015, 01:10:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
I would be surprised if Disney wasn't working on a bluray release of the original theatrical versions (yeah, I know, Lucas supposedly destroyed the originals). They must know there's a lot of money in it for them.
I don't think he destroyed it.  But they said, in the DVD commentaries, that there was damage to the originals and they were such in a bad state that it was the last time they could do anything with it.

Anyway, there are only 3 problematic scenes: Han firing not firing 1st, Jabba the Hutt and "Nooo" in ep 6.  The Stromtroopers look a little ridiculous on the beasts, but it is acceptable.

But, if you change this, you totally ruin the best episode of Justified.  :P

Who cares about Jabba, I'd much rather get rid of that ghastly musical number they added to the beginning of Return of the Jedi.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Re: Jabba in Ep 4. Besides how bad it looks in that scene, it destroys the reveal of the character in Return of the Jedi. What's the best place to finally see an infamous crime lord: in his luxurious secluded palace, or creeping around in a dirty spaceport hangar?

Also, a small change that always pissed me off is how they erased the "You're lucky you don't taste well" quip by Luke, in Empire Strikes Back, after the swamp monster spits R2-D2. What's the point of that?

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2015, 04:02:46 AM
Re: Jabba in Ep 4. Besides how bad it looks in that scene, it destroys the reveal of the character in Return of the Jedi. What's the best place to finally see an infamous crime lord: in his luxurious secluded palace, or creeping around in a dirty spaceport hangar?

Yeah, a redub of the scene and making the original Jabba stand in a henchman would have worked better.

And I liked Lapti Nek and Yub Nub better as songs in the movie.

Another line change I hated was in ESB, when after the duel Vader, seemingly steaming just says, "Bring my shuttle." You can tell that he's angry and exhausted. "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" isn't nearly as poignant.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 04:12:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2015, 04:02:46 AM

Yeah, a redub of the scene and making the original Jabba stand in a henchman would have worked better.

And I liked Lapti Nek and Yub Nub better as songs in the movie.

Another line change I hated was in ESB, when after the duel Vader, seemingly steaming just says, "Bring my shuttle." You can tell that he's angry and exhausted. "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" isn't nearly as poignant.

Yeah, Vader sounds so frustrated in the old version (which is natural, since Luke just slipped off his hands), while so business-like in the altered one. I mean, it's a small change, but it beggars belief how they seemed to fuck up everything they touched when they redid the old movies.

The only thing I sort of like is that the sound mix is improved in a lot of places.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 16, 2015, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
Well, I am not that desperate since I know someone who has the DVDs with some old laserdisc masters recycled and badly transferred on DVD (not anamorphically enhanced), offered by Lucas as a bonus.
These DVDs are expensive now on the second hand market. The best laserdisc editions are still expensive as well.

Enjoy watching VHS tapes on a huge flat-screen. :)

I'm planning to do my own transfers, with whatever signal processing and enhancement I can manage.

Well, in this case you should start from the best Laserdisc editions.  :nerd:

Liep

I hadn't heard before that Disney rejected a Lucas written script for Episode VII. Thank God for that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Btw, trailers before Ep. VII: Batman v Superman, Big Friendly Giant, Independence Day, and another one I forget (not Star Trek). Independence Day looked cooler on the big screen than on YouTube, BvS still looks shit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

I find audio on VHS holds up really well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. It was ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

celedhring

I would be surprised if Disney wasn't working on a bluray release of the original theatrical versions (yeah, I know, Lucas supposedly destroyed the originals). They must know there's a lot of money in it for them.

Does Disney have the distribution rights for the old flicks? Didn't Fox keep those?

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2015, 10:29:59 AM

Does Disney have the distribution rights for the old flicks? Didn't Fox keep those?

Good question. :hmm:

It was weird, at any rate, to watch a Star Wars flick without 20th Century Fox fanfare.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2015, 10:29:59 AM

Good question. :hmm:

It was weird, at any rate, to watch a Star Wars flick without 20th Century Fox fanfare.

From wookieepedia

QuoteDespite The Walt Disney Company's 2012 purchase of Lucasfilm Ltd. and the release rights to all future Star Wars films, Fox still retains original distribution rights to Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope "in perpetuity" in all media worldwide. Fox also retains theatrical, nontheatrical, and home video rights worldwide for the franchise's five subsequent films through May 2020, at which time ownership will transfer to Disney. This complex relationship between Fox and Disney, particularly in regards to Fox's perpetual rights to Episode IV, creates an obstacle for any future boxed set comprising all nine films.[1]

So looks like 2020 is the date where we might see a new edition, if they can get an agreement for Ep IV.

Syt

http://www.geek.com/news/paramount-hasbro-building-shared-universe-with-g-i-joe-m-a-s-k-and-more-1642233/

QuoteHasbro and Paramount have big plans to bring the former's huge library of toy properties to the big screen, all in the same universe. Put out in partnership with Hasbro's Allspark Pictures, the new universe will revolve around the following five properties: GI Joe, MASK, Rom, Micronauts, and Visionairies.

Like Marvel Studios and Universal Monsters before it, the idea is to create a full universe with interconnecting stories and characters that will, in theory, make for a more robust movie-going experience. The toy company and the studio successfully worked together to make four Transformers movies and two GI Joe films that made mountains of money. Transformers is currently being developed into its own series of films.

If you're not familiar with these lesser known franchises, here are some basics. MASK features a group of experts wearing high-tech helmets driving transforming cars to fight the evil members of VENOM (basically making it a perfect synthesis of Transformers and GI Joe), Rom revolves around a spacefaring cyborg, the Microverse takes center stage in Micronauts, and Visionaries is a fantasy-based line revolving around hologram-adorned toys. How these disparate lines will come together remains to be seen.

This isn't the first time the idea of mixing these toy lines has come about. MASK leader Matt Trakker made his way into the GI Joe line of action figures back in 2008 and in 2011, Hasbro released a New York Comic Con exclusive called Hasbro Unite that featured quick hit new takes on a variety of properties including MASK, Micronauts and even featured a quick reference to GI Joe.

Well, good luck with that. A friend had all the MASK toys (GI Joe didn't exist in Germany, IIRC), and the ROM Space Knight comic was pretty good if Linkara's retrospective is to be believed.
—Stephen Jay Gould