Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 17, 2015, 04:44:49 AM
Well, in this case you should start from the best Laserdisc editions.  :nerd:

I paid $6 for the tapes. :P

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 10:51:57 AM
http://www.geek.com/news/paramount-hasbro-building-shared-universe-with-g-i-joe-m-a-s-k-and-more-1642233/

QuoteHasbro and Paramount have big plans to bring the former's huge library of toy properties to the big screen, all in the same universe. Put out in partnership with Hasbro's Allspark Pictures, the new universe will revolve around the following five properties: GI Joe, MASK, Rom, Micronauts, and Visionairies.

Like Marvel Studios and Universal Monsters before it, the idea is to create a full universe with interconnecting stories and characters that will, in theory, make for a more robust movie-going experience. The toy company and the studio successfully worked together to make four Transformers movies and two GI Joe films that made mountains of money. Transformers is currently being developed into its own series of films.

If you're not familiar with these lesser known franchises, here are some basics. MASK features a group of experts wearing high-tech helmets driving transforming cars to fight the evil members of VENOM (basically making it a perfect synthesis of Transformers and GI Joe), Rom revolves around a spacefaring cyborg, the Microverse takes center stage in Micronauts, and Visionaries is a fantasy-based line revolving around hologram-adorned toys. How these disparate lines will come together remains to be seen.

This isn't the first time the idea of mixing these toy lines has come about. MASK leader Matt Trakker made his way into the GI Joe line of action figures back in 2008 and in 2011, Hasbro released a New York Comic Con exclusive called Hasbro Unite that featured quick hit new takes on a variety of properties including MASK, Micronauts and even featured a quick reference to GI Joe.

Well, good luck with that. A friend had all the MASK toys (GI Joe didn't exist in Germany, IIRC), and the ROM Space Knight comic was pretty good if Linkara's retrospective is to be believed.

The obvious crossover here was GI Joe + Transformers, but I guess there's no chance of making a move out of MASK or Rom (I have some Rom comics and they were quite good) unless they attach them to a more known IP.

I loved the MASK cartoon when I was a kid.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 17, 2015, 11:14:22 AM

Did you get the pan and scan ones, à la Ed?  :P

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 17, 2015, 01:52:36 PM
Did you get the pan and scan ones, à la Ed?  :P

I don't know.  The set I got were released in 1991, I think.  I figured for $6 it was worth a chance.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 17, 2015, 10:51:57 AM
http://www.geek.com/news/paramount-hasbro-building-shared-universe-with-g-i-joe-m-a-s-k-and-more-1642233/

QuoteHasbro and Paramount have big plans to bring the former's huge library of toy properties to the big screen, all in the same universe. Put out in partnership with Hasbro's Allspark Pictures, the new universe will revolve around the following five properties: GI Joe, MASK, Rom, Micronauts, and Visionairies.

Like Marvel Studios and Universal Monsters before it, the idea is to create a full universe with interconnecting stories and characters that will, in theory, make for a more robust movie-going experience. The toy company and the studio successfully worked together to make four Transformers movies and two GI Joe films that made mountains of money. Transformers is currently being developed into its own series of films.

If you're not familiar with these lesser known franchises, here are some basics. MASK features a group of experts wearing high-tech helmets driving transforming cars to fight the evil members of VENOM (basically making it a perfect synthesis of Transformers and GI Joe), Rom revolves around a spacefaring cyborg, the Microverse takes center stage in Micronauts, and Visionaries is a fantasy-based line revolving around hologram-adorned toys. How these disparate lines will come together remains to be seen.

This isn't the first time the idea of mixing these toy lines has come about. MASK leader Matt Trakker made his way into the GI Joe line of action figures back in 2008 and in 2011, Hasbro released a New York Comic Con exclusive called Hasbro Unite that featured quick hit new takes on a variety of properties including MASK, Micronauts and even featured a quick reference to GI Joe.

Well, good luck with that. A friend had all the MASK toys (GI Joe didn't exist in Germany, IIRC), and the ROM Space Knight comic was pretty good if Linkara's retrospective is to be believed.
GI Joe and Mask, I remember, the others, not a clue.  I'm likely too old.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Rom the Space Knight was the backup feature in the Spanish Transformer comic-books, which I treasured when I was a child. That's the reason I know the character, really. The stories were a pretty unique mix of sci-fi, sword lazers and sorcery, and the traditional superhero comic.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 17, 2015, 11:14:22 AM

Well, good luck then!

lustindarkness

She put on the shirt I was going to wear!  :mad:

But it sure looks better on her. :wub:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

SW Force Awakens: Is The Good, it felt like Star Wars.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 17, 2015, 05:41:06 PM

SO they let you in topless?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on December 17, 2015, 11:03:49 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 17, 2015, 05:41:06 PM

SO they let you in topless?

He wore the metal bikini instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

"That Debbie's a busy girl."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Jurassic World- Well that was lame.
██████
██████
██████