News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

I certainly hope so.:) At worst, they'll have to wait for Lucas to die. I don't think the heirs would be against some additional royalties.

Syt

Think of Disney what you will, but they've been pretty good at monetizing franchises.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I the Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions! thread truly spoiler free?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Tomorrowland - woah, what an annoying film. I always loved how Brad Bird was able to distill his big ideas into fun and emotional stories, but here everything that happens here is so contrived, stiff, and preachy. Every character seems to spew some inspirational motto - or repress another character that spews an inspirational motto - every minute. A textbook case where the theme becomes so overbearing that chokes a movie to death.

Josephus

By my count we got, what ,three threads on Star Wars now?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2015, 06:45:20 PM
By my count we got, what ,three threads on Star Wars now?

Languish is dying.  Only three thread and we are very close to opening day. :(

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on December 07, 2015, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2015, 05:10:11 PM
Blancanieves.

Spanish adaptation of Snow White set in 1920s Andalucía, where Snow White is the daughter of a famous bullfighter, who was tricked into marrying a scheming arriviste after he was left paraplegic by a bull during a corrida. After running off from the evil stepmother, Snow White is taken by a travelling dwarf bullfighter troupe, and ends up becoming a bullfighter herself.

The film is shot as a 1920s silent, with a flamenco soundtrack, and plays like a Spanish-themed distant cousin of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. If you are into bizarrely artsy stuff, it's a fantastic film.

Yes Sav, that means you.

How did I get this reputation?  :unsure:

;)

I've put it in my Netflix queue.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I thought it was enjoyable, though maybe it tried a little too hard to be arty.  As for the ending, I think Jay Ward did it better in this Fractured Fairy Tale.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on December 16, 2015, 04:11:32 PM
Tomorrowland - woah, what an annoying film. I always loved how Brad Bird was able to distill his big ideas into fun and emotional stories, but here everything that happens here is so contrived, stiff, and preachy. Every character seems to spew some inspirational motto - or repress another character that spews an inspirational motto - every minute. A textbook case where the theme becomes so overbearing that chokes a movie to death.

Heh, yeah, it's hard for me to hate on a film which actually portrays technology in a positive light, but that one had issues.  I thought Raffey Cassidy did a good job as Athena; but it's too bad her talents were wasted on such a dumb movie.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 03:41:47 PM
I certainly hope so.:) At worst, they'll have to wait for Lucas to die. I don't think the heirs would be against some additional royalties.

Why?  Lucas can do fuck-all now that the Mouse owns everything.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 16, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
Well, I am not that desperate since I know someone who has the DVDs with some old laserdisc masters recycled and badly transferred on DVD (not anamorphically enhanced), offered by Lucas as a bonus.
These DVDs are expensive now on the second hand market. The best laserdisc editions are still expensive as well.

Enjoy watching VHS tapes on a huge flat-screen. :)

I'm planning to do my own transfers, with whatever signal processing and enhancement I can manage.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
I would be surprised if Disney wasn't working on a bluray release of the original theatrical versions (yeah, I know, Lucas supposedly destroyed the originals). They must know there's a lot of money in it for them.

There are so many copies out there that doesn't matter surely. It's just a matter of spending the money to digitally remastering them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
I would be surprised if Disney wasn't working on a bluray release of the original theatrical versions (yeah, I know, Lucas supposedly destroyed the originals). They must know there's a lot of money in it for them.
I don't think he destroyed it.  But they said, in the DVD commentaries, that there was damage to the originals and they were such in a bad state that it was the last time they could do anything with it.

Anyway, there are only 3 problematic scenes: Han firing not firing 1st, Jabba the Hutt and "Nooo" in ep 6.  The Stromtroopers look a little ridiculous on the beasts, but it is acceptable.

But, if you change this, you totally ruin the best episode of Justified.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Already the Star Wars spoilers are coming. I think I have to turn off the internet for a few days. I don't know how I'm gonna trade.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers