News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Generic action trailer looks generic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Good episode of The Affair and good episode of Homeland.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 14, 2015, 01:40:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2015, 01:36:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 13, 2015, 08:30:02 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2015, 01:39:38 PM

Had completely forgotten they were making an Independence Day sequel  :bleeding:

^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

And man, does President Whitmore look like a wreck.

Probably lost 20-30 million American citizens under his watch.

I was a bit worried that I'd finally grown up after finding the Star Wars and the latest Batman vs. Superman trailers terrible. I confirm after watching that trailer, that I have not. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2015, 01:35:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 13, 2015, 08:14:55 PM
Bit the bullet and watched a couple more eps of Rebels, which happened to be much better. Will probably end up watching the rest now.

The highlights so far have been end of season 1 and the double feature starting season 2. The rest of season 2 so far has been "ok."

I was a bit taken aback when the entire plot of one of the first episodes revolved around the crazy hijinks while they bought some fruit at a spaceport. I almost quit on the show after that one. The following episodes have been proper Star Wars stories, even if with a kiddie slant.

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on December 13, 2015, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2015, 08:02:41 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 13, 2015, 07:23:54 PM
That about sums it up.  Pretty heavy on the political undertones(well, not that under, really) too: "commercialization of space is evil", "Hawaii should be independent, even if that means being run by monarchist wannabes in muscle shirts".

My first thought was that it was a Bradley Cooper Cameron Crowe self financed vanity project.
This would be more accurate.

It wasn't self financed, though. Quite the con he pulled on Sony for that one.

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 14, 2015, 04:42:09 AM

Had completely forgotten they were making an Independence Day sequel  :bleeding:

^_^

I was a bit worried that I'd finally grown up after finding the Star Wars and the latest Batman vs. Superman trailers terrible. I confirm after watching that trailer, that I have not. :)

I have the same feeling. You can add all the terrible Marvel movies too, but this one actually has my interest for some reason. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

It's going to be terrible. I hope that the aliens have installed a better antivirus this time.

Eddie Teach

I will be hugely disappointed if Star Wars and B vs S aren't better than ID2. There is a low ceiling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I will say that I appreciate that they try to portray the mid-term effects of the events of the first movie, like mankind adapting alien tech. Though it remains to be seen how far it will go with that, and how much will be a repeat of the first movie, with better special effects and loads of self-referential humor. I think it's a decent premise, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2015, 06:14:32 AM
I will say that I appreciate that they try to portray the mid-term effects of the events of the first movie, like mankind adapting alien tech. Though it remains to be seen how far it will go with that, and how much will be a repeat of the first movie, with better special effects and loads of self-referential humor. I think it's a decent premise, though.

I'm pretty sure that the movie will be crap, just like the first one, but I must admit that the technological part is a very nice touch.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on December 14, 2015, 04:42:45 AM
Bit the bullet and watched a couple more eps of Rebels, which happened to be much better. Will probably end up watching the rest now.

The highlights so far have been end of season 1 and the double feature starting season 2. The rest of season 2 so far has been "ok."

I was a bit taken aback when the entire plot of one of the first episodes revolved around the crazy hijinks while they bought some fruit at a spaceport. I almost quit on the show after that one. The following episodes have been proper Star Wars stories, even if with a kiddie slant.
The girl rebel looks lame with that helmet on. 
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 14, 2015, 09:27:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 14, 2015, 04:42:45 AM

The girl rebel looks lame with that helmet on.

Otaku Boba Fett Chick, you mean? Yeah.

Barrister

^_^

You think the Star Wars trailer looks terrible, but like the ID trailer?  :wacko:

Anyways for the Timmies in the crowd, there's a alt-history / marketing website that sets out the alternate history of the world since ID4.

http://www.warof1996.com/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Well, it does look like Justin Lin has turned Star Trek into another installment of The Fast and the Furious, with aliens and starships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=92&v=XRVD32rnzOw

Syt

I'll give them that it may be something more akin to the series - start with a mystery, explore it, overcome it. But I guess they figure shit out by half way point, and the rest is explosions and chase scenes.
—Stephen Jay Gould