And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

A new Star Wars trailer for the Japanese market, still no Luke

https://youtu.be/SdAUiyeJMFQ
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Love that shot of the TIE fighters against the sun.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2015, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2015, 08:50:23 PM
As long as it's not actually WRITTEN by lawyers, might be good.

My first post-school work was proofreading legal documents....God...

Then you didn't read stuff written by good lawyers. Good legal drafting and writing is clear (and persuasive, if persuading is its goal), by definition.  :) It may not be entertaining, of course, because there is only so much entertainment one can wring out of a contract to supply reinforced concrete (or whatever).  ;)

Legal writing tends to suffer because, in the area of contract drafting, lazy drafters attempt to recycle precedents, both to save time and because they fear they may be missing something important if they don't. I can't count the number of times an in-house client has come to me with some elaborate 30 page agreement full of pointless boilerplate, and I have advised them that, for what they actually need to accomplish, drafting up a simple letter agreement that actually spells out what needs doing in clear, simple terms. The "art" lies in spotting the actual risks and how to avoid them - those complex, indecipherable contracts often create risks.

See....I dozed off midway through that last paragraph :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Too bad today's lawyers and lawmakers can't take lessons from the drafters of the London Naval Treaties.

celedhring

Blood Diamond. One of those films that tries to be important before trying to be good. There's some pretty compelling visuals and directing in here, and it's certainly better that some other entries in the "Africa is a fucked up place" oscarbait subgenre that became so popular in the 2000s. But the plot is very contrived and I actually don't think it conveys anything clearly. They seem to throw a bunch of (worthy) causes into the pot, from child soldiers, to blood diamonds, to refugees used as slave labor, to war profiteering... but nothing really meshes together.

Admiral Yi

I could watch Jennifer Connelly reading a phone book for two hours.

celedhring

Sadly hers is actually not that important a character in the movie. She's in it for less than an hour.

Admiral Yi

My theory about Blood Diamond is Leo couldn't quite get the Boer accent down so they had to rewrite his back story to be a Rhodesian who moved to South Africa.

celedhring

His accent sounded really weird to me, but I'll be damned if I ever met or heard a white Zimbabwean.

Admiral Yi

There was one at my American school in Korea for a year.  Sounded kind of like a Kiwi.

mongers

'Interstellar' there's a point part way through where they're discussing what to do, that's when I started to consider shooting myself in the foot.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

If you shoot your foot off, you'll have a hard time getting up to change the channel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I am rewatching "Yes Minister". This show has not aged at all. Really top notch.

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2015, 11:54:40 PM
'Interstellar' there's a point part way through where they're discussing what to do, that's when I started to consider shooting myself in the foot.

I once knew a guy who shot himself in the foot.  :pinch:

My advice, if you choose to go that route, is to use a small caliber and try to miss any bones.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock