News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2015, 08:04:21 AM
Did the Warcraft movie trailer get posted? It looks terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc

It looks like a WoW cinematic, but with real actors playing the human characters. All the rest is bad CGI.
Looks nice to me :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2015, 12:37:18 PM
What's the least terrible videogame film? (I'm not sure the term "best" applies here). Prince of Persia? The first Tomb Raider flick? Silent Hill? I'd say those three are on par with your run-of-the-mill dumb summer blockbuster/horror flick.

Silent Hill is actually decent.  I thought the first Resident Evil was worth a shit, too, but just barely.  They're all pretty dumb.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

Resident Evil.  Silent Hill sucked. 
PDH!

celedhring

Silent Hill. Resident Evil sucked.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
I didn't hate it either.

And you liked to claim you have taste. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 07, 2015, 12:04:32 PM
Speaking of Star Wars.

Saw the "new" trilogy on sale at HMV so decided to pick it up on Blu Ray. Haven't watched any of them  since their theatrical release.

So 16 year old girl manning the counter asks me if I'm "excited" about the new movie. And I sez "yes...was 12 when the original came out, looking forward to this."

So then, I ask her "have you seen any of them."

And she says "No not yet. But I got my tickets for the movie. I'm so excited."

Which I didn't get. But I guess this new Star Wars is going to be the "hot item" sort of like a Justin Beiber concert. Sort of the "in thing to do for teens?"

Well, yes. Have you been to a ToysRUs lately?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Uncle Tom's Cabin (1927)

This is an unusual telling of the story.  The director Harry Pollard was a southerner, and wanted to tell the "True" story of the south.  Consequently the film presents a romanticized version of the antebellum south, but at the same time depicting the evils of slavery.  It didn't convince southerners, and the film was a bomb on release.

The story takes some liberties with the novel (at least I don't remember the Civil War occurring in the book... :unsure:) In any event there's three things any adaption of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" should be judged upon.

1.)  The crossing of the river:  In this version it was spectacular.  I had no idea there were water falls on the Ohio River near Cincinnati.

2.)  The death of Little Eva:  thicker is better and they laid it on pretty thick.  :cry:

3.)  Whipping:  In this department the film really delivers.  I doubt that even if CdM were director of the film it would contain more whipping.  :thumbsup:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2015, 08:04:21 AM
Did the Warcraft movie trailer get posted? It looks terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc

It looks like a WoW cinematic, but with real actors playing the human characters. All the rest is bad CGI.
I'm not expecting much, but I still want to see it.  I have fond memories of the Warcraft franchise dating back to a summer vacation as a kid when I got Orcs vs. Humans up through WoW today.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tonitrus

Starcraft would make for a much better film, even if it just adapted the basic plot from the original game.

Razgovory

You know, the Valve guys have put on pretty funny shorts with their Team Fortress characters.  I think there is a potential to make something longer that wouldn't be bad.  They are insanely violent and absurd, but they work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2015, 10:46:19 AM
There's never been a movie based on a video game that was worth a damn. 

Why is that though? You'd think at least one would be an exception to the general rule.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

"The Good Lie."  Pretty engaging story about Sudanese refugees coming to the States.

Reese Witherspoon is put to good use as the trampy employment agency employee who befriends them.

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 08, 2015, 01:25:00 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2015, 10:46:19 AM
There's never been a movie based on a video game that was worth a damn. 

Why is that though? You'd think at least one would be an exception to the general rule.

I'd say that it's the same story as in superhero flicks (except Superman) before the X-Men movies in the 2000s showed you could make millions if you treated the subject seriously. Before the X-Men movies all superhero material was treated as B-movie material, with terrible budgets (and in turn terrible writers and directors), looking to make a quick buck with nerds that didn't know any better. The same has happened with videogame movies.

Thanks to the Tomb Raider flicks, videogame movies sort of earned the chance of getting out of the B-movie hole, so now you have stuff like Prince of Persia, Silent Hill, and the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie - which has a lot of great talent attached to it. Warcraft is pretty expensive too. You show Hollywood you can make money for them, and they will give you money.

Now, I don't think Hollywood really believes in the genre yet, it still carries a big stigma and big budget videogame flicks haven't been too successful besides the first Tomb Raider. But they see the billions in the videogame industry and want a piece of that cake.

Scipio

The Assassin's Creed short film was pretty good.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt