News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

You guys have your thread for TWD.   I made sure to start one so I wouldn't accidently read anything about it before I could watch the show since I can't use my tv for another week.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 01:43:21 PM
You guys have your thread for TWD.   I made sure to start one so I wouldn't accidently read anything about it before I could watch the show since I can't use my tv for another week.  :P

Tabitha dies. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 01:43:21 PM

Hehe, sorry. I forgot about the TWD thread.   :Embarrass:

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2015, 10:05:33 AM
But seriously though...where is Ide?

;)

Ide has abandoned us before.  I hope he'll be back, but I also hope things have worked out for him in Pittsburgh, and he's found better things to do than hang out with us. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

About Cloud Atlas, I thought it was a mess. I think the way the filmmakers disassembled the book's original structure in order to create a traditional film structure and manufacture climaxes and payoffs actually made the film more confusing and less satisfying than the book.

The Whachowskis also have the subtlety of an elephant stampede, although they aren't helped by the massive amplitude of the story they have to tell here. Even with a 3 hour running time a lot of parts feel rushed.

However, as it usually happens with failed adaptations of great material, it still merits watching.

celedhring

BBC has ordered a His Dark Materials series. I haven't seen the Nicole Kidman movie, but I read the books and I thought they had some quite intriguing ideas. Will watch.

Josquius

I saw the film, it seemed decent, I wonder how it'll work on a TV budget.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2015, 11:14:31 AM
About Cloud Atlas, I thought it was a mess. I think the way the filmmakers disassembled the book's original structure in order to create a traditional film structure and manufacture climaxes and payoffs actually made the film more confusing and less satisfying than the book.

The Whachowskis also have the subtlety of an elephant stampede, although they aren't helped by the massive amplitude of the story they have to tell here. Even with a 3 hour running time a lot of parts feel rushed.

However, as it usually happens with failed adaptations of great material, it still merits watching.

Interesting; I came away relatively positive from the adaptation, though I haven't rewatched since. My movie impressions are here if you want to compare notes: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,4507.msg686609/topicseen.html#msg686609
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I felt that discarding the book structure cheapened the film and made it confusing. The reason, for example, than the far future story gets its ending changed is because they all have now to finish with the same tone.

The plot-hopping was too distracting; the stories can't breathe, and the film goes so much out of its way to show the parallels between them (with montages, false climaxes, etc...) that they feel forced. I understand that in order to be able to raise 100 million for this thing they had to turn a script with a conventional structure, but a lot gets lost. [spoiler]In the book, I loved how the future stories are such a downer, yet the book ends in the past, with a character learning "the lesson" and rejecting hatred and depredation when he turns abolitionist - as if it was a rejection of what we've seen will happen in the future. Meaning that we have a second chance, and that there's still hope for the world. [/spoiler] This is lost with the new structure.

Admiral Yi

I thought the Korean accents were awful.

Savonarola

The Champions of Justice (1971)

Five years ago Blue Demon and his friends turned Black Hand over to Interpol.  He escaped and now he seeks revenge.  He has,at his disposal, a limitless supply of muscle cars, a gang of masked midget with super strength, a dozen kidnapped beauty queens that he's both frozen and mind controlled.  Can Los campeones justicieros triumph over such villainy?  [spoiler]¡SI SE PUEDE![/spoiler]  :ph34r:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I don't think you should use the reflexive there, since it's de facto passive voice. :nerd:

Eddie Teach

I think Fargo has finally managed to do what The Killing, American Horror Story, and True Detective all failed to do- come up with a completely new storyline and characters that are just as compelling as the first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2015, 01:17:22 PM
I felt that discarding the book structure cheapened the film and made it confusing. The reason, for example, than the far future story gets its ending changed is because they all have now to finish with the same tone.

The plot-hopping was too distracting; the stories can't breathe, and the film goes so much out of its way to show the parallels between them (with montages, false climaxes, etc...) that they feel forced. I understand that in order to be able to raise 100 million for this thing they had to turn a script with a conventional structure, but a lot gets lost. [spoiler]In the book, I loved how the future stories are such a downer, yet the book ends in the past, with a character learning "the lesson" and rejecting hatred and depredation when he turns abolitionist - as if it was a rejection of what we've seen will happen in the future. Meaning that we have a second chance, and that there's still hope for the world. [/spoiler] This is lost with the new structure.

Fair points. The movie is definitely not as well measured and far more hectic than the original material.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Remember a few years ago, I believe it was the Onion, they made a joke about "the popular Iron Man trailer being adapted into a movie".  I laughed.  I guess many of you did too.

Guess what?  Now we have the trailer for the trailer...
http://pix-geeks.com/warcraft-bande-annonce-15-secondes/
(bottom of the page for the video)
15 seconds of footage that ends with "Watch the worldwide trailer debut Friday".

:rolleyes:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.