News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2015, 03:39:03 AM
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ticket-sales-breakdown-gender-average-age-1201625277/

Quote'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Tickets Bought Mostly By Older Men

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" shattered ticket sales records earlier this week.

According to theater marketing data firm Movio Media, men, with an average age of 34, were the ones who succumbed most to the force.

Movio found that 70% of ticker-buyers were males between 18 and 49 years of age, with an average age of 34. They consist of regular movie-goers, who patronize theaters once a month in groups (buying an average of 2.3 tickets per transaction). They also spend 2.6 times more at the box office than the typical moviegoer, and 67% of them catch movies within the release week, most on opening night. The majority are also drawn to tentpoles such as "Jurassic World" and "Avengers: Age of Ultron."

The "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" trailer, released during halftime of the "Monday Night Football" game, sparked the newfound fervor. It drew 112 million views in 24 hours.

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" opens Dec. 18.

So Older Men = 34? :yeahright:

For the purposes of movie marketing and demographics, once you leave teen age behind yes, you're getting into old man territory.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2015, 05:17:22 AM
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ticket-sales-breakdown-gender-average-age-1201625277/

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" shattered ticket sales records earlier this week.

According to theater marketing data firm Movio Media, men, with an average age of 34, were the ones who succumbed most to the force.

Movio found that 70% of ticker-buyers were males between 18 and 49 years of age, with an average age of 34. They consist of regular movie-goers, who patronize theaters once a month in groups (buying an average of 2.3 tickets per transaction). They also spend 2.6 times more at the box office than the typical moviegoer, and 67% of them catch movies within the release week, most on opening night. The majority are also drawn to tentpoles such as "Jurassic World" and "Avengers: Age of Ultron."

The "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" trailer, released during halftime of the "Monday Night Football" game, sparked the newfound fervor. It drew 112 million views in 24 hours.

For the purposes of movie marketing and demographics, once you leave teen age behind yes, you're getting into old man territory.

So once you've actually entered the years where you have significant disposable income?

Though I did see mentions that general trends are that 25-39 year old movie going demo has been shrinking year over year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I used to watch a film in theatres every week when I was in my 20s. Now, not so much, and I consume much more on-demand. Not sure if it's either age or a general switch in film consumption habits, though.

Syt

With the ticket prices of new releases being almost the same as the price of a blu ray movies only draw me in if I feel they may gain from the large screen (i.e. action flicks). I'm not sure if I would still go and watch comedies or dramas at the theater anymore, unless they come with great cinematography. I'd much rather watch them at home where I don't have to worry about chatty assholes or someone eating chips.

I used to go a lot in the 90s, but these days - not so much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2015, 05:22:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2015, 05:17:22 AM

So once you've actually entered the years where you have significant disposable income?

Though I did see mentions that general trends are that 25-39 year old movie going demo has been shrinking year over year.

More money but less spare time.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2015, 05:32:45 AM
I used to watch a film in theatres every week when I was in my 20s. Now, not so much, and I consume much more on-demand. Not sure if it's either age or a general switch in film consumption habits, though.

I'd say my moving watching in theater has generally declined because of what Syt mentioned - rising prices (relative to the cost to buy when it comes out to own) make it not really worth it to go regularly to the movies. With the ease of watching things at home (no longer stuck with just renting videos at Blockbuster), I've little reason to see things when they first come out at the theater unless it is something I'm really interested in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Syt

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2015, 07:15:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2015, 05:44:48 AM
someone eating chips.

Is that common in Germany/Austria? :unsure:

Most theaters sell nachos with cheese or salsa. Which are also referred to as chips here. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

We would call the those chips too. I guess while I know they sell them, not sure if I have seen someone eating them in the theater. Popcorn is the main noisy thing.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2015, 07:14:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2015, 05:32:45 AM

I'd say my moving watching in theater has generally declined because of what Syt mentioned - rising prices (relative to the cost to buy when it comes out to own) make it not really worth it to go regularly to the movies. With the ease of watching things at home (no longer stuck with just renting videos at Blockbuster), I've little reason to see things when they first come out at the theater unless it is something I'm really interested in.

Yeah, unless there's something I really want to see when it comes out, there's always plenty of relatively recent stuff I can buy or watch on demand.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I admit that one of the main reasons I'll see the midnight premiere of Star Wars is so that I don't have to worry about accidentally reading spoilers somewhere. :P

#firstworldnerdproblems
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Archy on October 27, 2015, 01:43:04 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 26, 2015, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 26, 2015, 03:47:44 PM
I saw a collection of Farmer Al Falfa cartoons from the 1920s and 1930s.  They're similar to the Felix the Cat and Disney Cartoons from the era; though with a more sparse animation.  Today, if he's remembered for anything, it's for having the first sound cartoon, "Dinner Time," about two months before "Steamboat Willie."  It wasn't a hit though, and Farmer Al Falfa faded from memory.

Thanks, for that Sav.

Believe it or not, I recall seeing some of those angry farmer cartoons on tv when I was a small child. :age  :blush:

They were still showing a lot of keystone cops, Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and silent classics back then. Along with a fair amount of Stan and Laurel.
I remember these also. Today's youth is missing out. They were still shown in the late eighties over here. I guess since it was cheap schedule filling because of no copyright

That's interesting, I had never heard of Farmer Al Falfa outside trivia about the first sound cartoon.  The only pre-Disney/Fleischer/Warner Brothers cartoons that I've seen in any number are Felix the Cat, and the various Windsor McKay cartoons.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Since the coming of age of the VCR in the mid-80s, movie-going has increasingly been more of a social activity rather than just being about seeing a movie.  Before then, if you wanted to see a movie, you needed to see it in a theater, because there was no way to know when or if you'd see it on TV.  Now, you know it's going to be out on DVD within a couple of months or so, so there's no reason to see it in the theater unless you're going with a group of friends or you're on a date.  By the time you're 30, it's increasingly difficult to get together with a group of friends, and most people are married and not dating anymore, so yeah, in movie-going terms, an average age of 34 would be an older audience.

crazy canuck

Lots of older folks go to the movies too.  I am just entering the demographic of no longer having much responsibility regarding children and so Mrs. CC and I now have time to go see movies again. When we went to see the Martian last weekend the crowd in the theatre was predominantly our age and older.