And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 06, 2015, 03:43:31 PM
Gymkata (1985)

Solid B+ or even A- on the so-bad-it's good scale.

My recollection is that it was just so-bad-it's-bad, not so-bad-it's-good.

Capetan Mihali

R.I.P. Chantal Akerman.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on October 07, 2015, 07:56:41 AM
Personally I think "Der letzte Mann" and "Nosferatu" are much better films are much better films than "Sunrise," but I doubt you'll like either of them.

I think there's a solid chance I could enjoy The Last Laugh.

Does The Passion of Joan of Arc count?  I watched that yesterday, and would agree that it's a great picture.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Caaught the Martian yesterday.
Enjoyable film, not sure what Malthus the nitpicking lawyer was going on about.
Beyond film seeing trailers has me excited for Revenant which says something as I detest DiCaprio.
And Ron Howard's Moby Dick true story....doesn't look compelling at all, of course I'm rooting for the Whale over the dumbass Humans so maybe just me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2015, 08:28:01 AMnitpicking lawyer

This post brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Dept.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2015, 08:28:01 AM

That's because your grasp of nuance is as good as your spellchecking.  :P

[/nitpick]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

5am on my iPhone so shaddup

katmai

And don't ever confuse me and Ide who wouldn't know nuance if it bit him on the ass.

Liep

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2015, 08:49:25 AM
And don't ever confuse me and Ide who wouldn't know nuance if it bit him on the ass.

That's not very nuanced.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Flash season premiere was awesome.  :cool:

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on October 08, 2015, 08:28:01 AM
Beyond film seeing trailers has me excited for Revenant which says something as I detest DiCaprio.

Do you detest DiCaprio because your mind is that of a sixteen year old boy trapped in 1997?

The Revenant is probably the most exciting thing still waiting in 2015, moreso than In the Heart of the Sea, which I'm looking forward to.

For some reason I'm just blocking Star Wars.  Probably because I don't want to wade into the hype, and don't want to be hyped.  Hell, it could be a disaster: Abrams' didn't do too well with the other big nerd franchise.

QuoteAnd Ron Howard's Moby Dick true story....doesn't look compelling at all, of course I'm rooting for the Whale over the dumbass Humans so maybe just me.

Goddamnit katmai, you can't just steal everybody's joke. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

No I don't like DiCaprio as have heard from friends how much of a douche he is.

Savonarola

Paths to Paradise (1925)

Betty Compson stars in this jewel heist film; but the real star is the ever dapper and ever unflappable Raymond Griffith.  The plot concerns a wealthy man with an enormous diamond that he intends to give his daughter as a wedding present.  Compson and Griffith plot against one another at first, and then work together to steal the diamond.  I saw it as yet another awful Televista print, but it was still funny thanks to Griffith's work.  His plays his role as something of a cross between William Powell and Buster Keaton.

Compson would go on to have a career in the Talkies; Griffith did not.  He had strained his vocal chords as a young child and couldn't manage anything above a whisper.  Prior to becoming an actor he was a mime.  After the introduction of sound he became a producer; but he did have a role in "All Quiet on the Western Front" as the French soldier who gets bayoneted.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 08, 2015, 08:16:25 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 07, 2015, 07:56:41 AM
Personally I think "Der letzte Mann" and "Nosferatu" are much better films are much better films than "Sunrise," but I doubt you'll like either of them.

I think there's a solid chance I could enjoy The Last Laugh.

Does The Passion of Joan of Arc count?  I watched that yesterday, and would agree that it's a great picture.

No, I don't think that counts.  Did you see the Criterion Version with the "Voices of Light" soundtrack?  I saw that performed live with Richard Einhorn conducting.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

The one on Hulu is the one with no music, since apparent that's what Dreyer preferred.  It's surprisingly effective without one, although I've heard good things about the Einhorn score.

I think it counts.  That set is weird.*  Rober Ebert thought it counts. :P

*And hilarious, insofar as Dreyer used his French financiers' money to build a more-or-less functional castle that you basically never see. :D
Kinemalogue