News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'Mystery Road' - Australian crime thriller - an indigenous detective is forced to work on his own to find the killers of a teenage girl.

Excellent film; Australia makes a good setting for a western.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Saw The Visit.

Thought the "twist" was obvious, but that didn't deter from it being a nice, creepy movie. Had one real scare moment too!
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

FTWD season 1 finale, they sure cranked it up to 10. :thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2015, 10:06:22 PM

Pretty good overall.

[spoiler]I didn't like the bit about the soldier following them to hospital. I think that was only put in to vindicate Salazar, since he's apparently one of the crew we're going to be rooting for. I think he fell into barbarism way too easily and quickly. And besides torturing the soldier, he's responsible for unleashing the horde of zombies that took down the compound- the morality of which the show didn't deal with at all. Remember who else has used that tactic...[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

I'm following The Brink nice political comedy.
:D

Ideologue

On the TV front, I've caught up (been pressed into catching up, really) with You're The Worst, the romantic comedy program about cartoonishly fucked-up people, one of whom is British.  It's pretty good.  Stupid long-form storytelling; even if you only kind of like it at first, if you at least like it a little bit, eventually you get accustomed to it and starting for-real enjoying it.  7/10?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Watched the season finale of Rick and Morty.  Kinda ended on a downer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

With season 3 finally on Netflix I have now started watching House of Cards. Is it a problem if I find all main characters despicable? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2015, 02:51:36 AM
With season 3 finally on Netflix I have now started watching House of Cards. Is it a problem if I find all main characters despicable? :unsure:

It would be a bigger problem if you didn't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I do have a hankering for ribs now, though. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Saw The Martian. Very pretty evocation of Mars, very interesting Robinson Crusoe-like survival story, but the drama lacked - you never really got the feeling that the lead guy was really frightened, unhappy or even upset all that much about being stranded on Mars and facing near certain death. If he doesn't care all that much, why should we?

One tiny niggling point: much is made about how all the music he had to listen to was crappy disco left behind by the captain. This struck me as needlessly ludicrous - he's shown with laptops galore. Even my iPhone has hundreds if not thousands of hours of music on it - how could six or seven people, on a years-long mission, not have all the music ever made stored somewhere?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2015, 11:20:40 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2015, 10:06:22 PM

Pretty good overall.

[spoiler]I didn't like the bit about the soldier following them to hospital. I think that was only put in to vindicate Salazar, since he's apparently one of the crew we're going to be rooting for. I think he fell into barbarism way too easily and quickly. And besides torturing the soldier, he's responsible for unleashing the horde of zombies that took down the compound- the morality of which the show didn't deal with at all. Remember who else has used that tactic...[/spoiler]

His whole behavior was border line psychopath.

[spoiler]Even if hates the soldiers, they had the zombies trapped in a stadium, for the safety of the resident.  Not only does he lead them to the base so they will kill all personnel, military and others, but also all patients will die.  And just before he did it, he left the gates open at their community, making sure there'd be nothing left to go back to.  He kinda made sure the people would die or leave, but that was a psychopatic thing to do[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Malthus - each astronaut had his or her own data stick for use on the surface, only filled with what they were interested in.  The protagonist IIRC lost his own so had use the ones left behind by the others. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson