News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/international-film-critics-vote-mad-819271?facebook_20150901

QuoteInternational Film Critics Vote 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Year's Best Film

Director George Miller's apocalyptic action film beat out more arthouse titles including Jafar Panahi's 'Taxi' and Laszlo Nemes' 'Son of Saul.'

George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road is the surprise choice for best film of the year, as chosen by the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI).

The apocalyptic action drama, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May, stars Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy. It's the sequel to Miller's Mad Max trilogy, which starred Mel Gibson.

Miller beat out three other finalists for the best film honor: Laszlo Nemes' Son of Saul, Hou Hsiao-Hsien's The Assassin and Jafar Panahi's Taxi. The 2015 best film award was selected from among films that premiered after July 1, 2014. 493 FIPRESCI members – all international film critics -- voted for the award.

"You could have knocked me over with a feather!," said Miller in a statement. "It's lovely to have this great cohort of critics acknowledge our collective labours in this way."

Miller will receive the FIPRESCI Grand Prix at the San Sebastian Film Festival on Sept. 18, where Mad Max: Fury Road will also get a special gala screening.

Since its creation in 1999, the FIPRESCI Grand Prix has been awarded to such directors as Michael Haneke, Paul Thomas Anderson, Jean-Luc Godard and Pedro Almodovar.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Wow, winning the FIPRESCI prize is no small beans. It's one of the biggest prizes in the snotty critic arena.

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 28, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2015, 03:42:00 PM
Judge Dredd on the telly  :w00t:

It's the Stallone one   :cry:

:huh: is the new one worth seeing?
It's incredible

Watched it. Much better than I expected, even after languish had praised it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

lustindarkness

Could it be possible Fury Road wins an Oscar?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 02, 2015, 11:40:21 AM

Is it possible?  Sure.

Will it?  No.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 02, 2015, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

Is it possible?  Sure.

Will it?  No.

Why not? :mad:

When was the last time an out-and-out action movie won best picture?

I'm looking at the list now.  hmm, I guess it can happen.  LOTR: Return of the King was a genre movie, and Gladiator was an action movie.  Both a decade ago, but still.

Guess it'll depend on what the fall Oscar bait movies bring.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2015, 11:54:35 AM

Is it possible?  Sure.

Will it?  No.

I'm looking at the list now.  hmm, I guess it can happen.  LOTR: Return of the King was a genre movie, and Gladiator was an action movie.  Both a decade ago, but still.

He said an Oscar, not necessarily Best Picture. :P

If it doesn't win at the very least a bunch of technical awards I'll be dissapointed.

crazy canuck

Is it possible?  Sure.

Will it?  No.

I would think it is an obvious choice for a visual effects Oscar, a strong contender for cinematography and perhaps director.  From what I have read the limited use of CGI made this movie very technically difficult to create.  I would be surprised if the people responsible are not recognized in some way.  Especially for such a big hit both with critics and the box office.

The Larch

In nominations alone it should be a shoe in for Picture, Director, Actress (or supporting actress, however they categorize it) for Charlize Theron, Supporting Actor for Nicholas Hoult, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Editing and Visual Effects. And maybe also a bunch of technical stuff I can't even tell apart.

Ideologue

For production design and costume design?  I would be willing to lay money on that.  Possibly some other technical awards (I think it may get a cinematography nomination).  Best picture, best director?  No win, mayyyybe a nomination.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on September 02, 2015, 12:06:27 PM
In nominations alone it should be a shoe in for Picture, Director, Actress (or supporting actress, however they categorize it) for Charlize Theron

And that's why whenever you see photos of Linda Hamilton, she's always holding two gold statutes. :P

Seriously, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

We can hope for a Best Picture nomination. :( Yeah, it will win a few of the other awards, if not, we riot. :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on September 02, 2015, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2015, 11:54:35 AM

Is it possible?  Sure.

Will it?  No.

He said an Oscar, not necessarily Best Picture. :P

If it doesn't win at the very least a bunch of technical awards I'll be dissapointed.

Fair enough. -_-

There are some websites that make rough predictions for the Oscars even this early.  Fury Road is listed as a possible contender for many awards, including Best Picture, though none seem to rank it's chances very high.

Eddie Teach

Mad Max would make a good, albeit highly unorthodox Best Picture, but it certainly doesn't deserve any acting awards. (Not that the acting was bad, just the characters don't have enough depth).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?