News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Daredevil hasn't made it to Spain yet. I'm dying to see it.

Habbaku

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 18, 2015, 04:24:30 PM
Speaking of crazy good, I can't believe I waited so long to watch Daredevil.  I see why the second season was authorized a mere 11 days after Netflix put the first one up.

I really like that the writers are avoiding many of the tired network drama tropes.  In particular, the scene where [spoiler]Wesley has kidnapped Karen and is trying to intimidate her into taking the heat off Fisk.  They do the whole "woman gets the bad's gun" thing, then she actually plugs him six times in the chest instead of doing the tired, stupid thing where she gets disarmed.[/spoiler]  My wife was yelling at the TV during that scene and couldn't believe they didn't play that weak trope.

That scene was so perfect precisely because of that. 
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Yeah, daredevil is quite good like that. The hero actually gets bashed up too.

Quote from: celedhring on August 18, 2015, 04:03:59 PM
Periodic reminder that The Americans is crazily good. Just catching up on the last season.
It wasn't as good as the prior ones I thought but still very watchable.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Habbaku on August 18, 2015, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2015, 02:22:29 PM
I'm looking forward to Dawn of the Walking Dead (which would have been a better title, IMO). I think there may be a lot less zombies in this, so some may be disappointed.

A real drama that just happens to be set in a zombie filled world could be amazing.

That's pretty much what vanilla Walking Dead has become for the most part.

lustindarkness

I'm looking forward to both.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Flight World War 2- a film by The Assylum, the famed mockbuster studio...but I'm not sure what film it is ripping off.
It sounded like it had a good synopsis. A plane gets sent back in time to WW2. Wonderful. Will we see a badly acted Churchill?
It sucked. Entire thing is set on the plane as it flies over 1940 France trying to avoid attacks by German jet fighters and surface to air missiles.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2015, 01:11:26 PM
Flight World War 2- a film by The Assylum, the famed mockbuster studio...but I'm not sure what film it is ripping off.
It sounded like it had a good synopsis. A plane gets sent back in time to WW2. Wonderful. Will we see a badly acted Churchill?
It sucked. Entire thing is set on the plane as it flies over 1940 France trying to avoid attacks by German jet fighters and surface to air missiles.

I always wish somebody went and did a version of The Final Countdown were the Nimitz carrier actually goes and tries to win the war single-handedly. Talk about an unfulfilled premise.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2015, 01:18:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2015, 01:11:26 PM

I always wish somebody went and did a version of The Final Countdown were the Nimitz carrier actually goes and tries to win the war single-handedly. Talk about an unfulfilled premise.

Agreed on that.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2015, 01:18:31 PM

The Japanese did it, for land warfare that is, with G.I Samurai a.k.a Timeslip (Sengoku Jieitai in the latin Japanese transcription).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083050

11B4V

Fury Road; B- Should have developed the dialog and background better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on August 19, 2015, 03:25:15 PM
Fury Road; B- Should have developed the dialog and background better.
:banned:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

11b4v hates fun. And not just the band.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I Kissed a Girl (Toute première fois)

I'm down for a good rom com of a gay guy that falls head over heels for a straight girl, but this feels like the set up of the scenario was of most interest to the writers and then they didn't really know what to do after that. Also could do with the standard criticism of more "show and less tell."  Gay guy's straight friend (Franck Gastambide) definitely stole the show.

French male cover of I Kissed A Girl was a nice touch in the credits. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2015, 05:35:26 PM
11b4v hates fun. And not just the band.
Worthy of the franchise, but more story and dialog would have been a plus. Presently the movie was a small fallout side quest.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on August 17, 2015, 05:35:26 PM
Let's use the list in another way. Which is the highest ranking movie that you have not watched?

#36 Andrei Rublev

So yeah, finally saw Alien. I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, but it was quite well done.

Also saw Open Range, a solid Western but nothing special. And Ex Machina. [spoiler]Not sure why the robot girl left the tester trapped in the house.  :hmm:[/spoiler] It was ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?