And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2015, 01:15:34 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2015, 09:05:37 PM
don't what me, what sequel are you talking about?

I'll what you all I want. 

I thought there was a sequel to Sucker Punch which went straight to DVD, and that's certainly what Celery suggested with his comment about "the last one."

I believe he is talking about the girls stories in the movie as there hasn't been a sequel to the film thankfully.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

I wasn't talking about the sequel (if there's one). In the last fantasy you see how the events in the train mimic their struggle with the cook in "real life", and the decisions they make in the fantasy mimic the decisions they make in the kitchen ([spoiler]one of the girls sacrifices herself to save the others[/spoiler]). That's the only fantasy where they do that and that's the one that works best, because there's an anchor that relates the fantasy to reality. The others are just visual orgasms for the sake of themselves, as fun as they are.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2015, 01:56:40 AM
I wasn't talking about the sequel (if there's one). In the last fantasy you see how the events in the train mimic their struggle with the cook in "real life", and the decisions they make in the fantasy mimic the decisions they make in the kitchen ([spoiler]one of the girls sacrifices herself to save the others[/spoiler]). That's the only fantasy where they do that and that's the one that works best, because there's an anchor that relates the fantasy to reality. The others are just visual orgasms for the sake of themselves, as fun as they are.

you get clues everywhere that it's all happenning for real, that the events are mirrored and you get confirmation in the final scenes.  As I said, you have to pay attention.  It's subtle. And it's easy to get distracted ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

It's not done in a good or satisfying way, imho. The idea is good, the execution is lacking. I would have much preferred to see how the dragons, the zombie Germans, etc... were reflections of real problems they have to surmount in real life, how they have to work together, etc... and we saw that happening in the real world in parallel with the fantasy (which is how they do it in the train fantasy, which I think it's the best).

Same with the whole brothel fantasy, too. We never see enough of the asylum and how they are treated there to understand why she imagines the whole thing as a brothel where the girls are sexually exploited.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2015, 02:10:19 AM
Same with the whole brothel fantasy, too. We never see enough of the asylum and how they are treated there to understand why she imagines the whole thing as a brothel where the girls are sexually exploited.
I feel it's there in the extended cut:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=746855

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2015, 10:56:39 AM

That's an interesting website.

Reminds me of the extensive cuts made to Leon: The Professional, which made the "International version" nearly a different movie.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1342

Amusing note: the cuts were made in part because of the uncomfortable sexual tension between the characters (a 12 year old girl and a 40-something hired killer). However, the longer version makes it absolutely clear the adult guy was not pursuing anything of the sort - which is left ambiguous in the cut version! For example, in the longer version, the girl propositions the guy, who gently turns her down; she nonetheless insists that, at least, they sleep in the same bed; he agrees to this reluctantly. This scene was cut, so what the audience sees is two waking up in the same bed - leaving audiences wondering WTF?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

I don't think I saw the US cut of the movie, only the international one.  I guess censorship can be more than silly sometimes :P

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2015, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2015, 10:56:39 AM

That's an interesting website.

Reminds me of the extensive cuts made to Leon: The Professional, which made the "International version" nearly a different movie.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1342

Amusing note: the cuts were made in part because of the uncomfortable sexual tension between the characters (a 12 year old girl and a 40-something hired killer). However, the longer version makes it absolutely clear the adult guy was not pursuing anything of the sort - which is left ambiguous in the cut version! For example, in the longer version, the girl propositions the guy, who gently turns her down; she nonetheless insists that, at least, they sleep in the same bed; he agrees to this reluctantly. This scene was cut, so what the audience sees is two waking up in the same bed - leaving audiences wondering WTF?

Censorship is usually dumb.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2015, 02:21:29 PM
I don't think I saw the US cut of the movie, only the international one.  I guess censorship can be more than silly sometimes :P

Heh, I was discussing this movie the other week with a friend who had only seen the "US version".

The question of whether the two main characters actually had sexual relations came up, and she said 'well, maybe, because you see them wake up in bed together'. I said 'yeah, but that was totally platonic'. From there, we figured out we were watching different versions of the movie.  :D

Another reason for the cuts in this movie was to remove all the stuff about the 12 year old girl helping the hit man to kill people. Though even in the long version she doesn't actually kill anyone herself, she definitely helps him kill, by convincing victims to open their doors. I guess they wanted to make her out as being more innocent. In the long version, it is part of the plot that the two sort of exchange roles - she's far more determined and vicious than him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Mr Brooks. Kevin Costner plays a serial killer that is blackmailed by Dane Cook into taking him along for a murder, while Demi Moore is hot on his trail. It also stars William Hurt as Costner character's "dark side".  It is surprisingly decent. [spoiler]Dane Cook dies in a suitably gruesome way[/spoiler].

celedhring

Empire magazine's 500 greatest films of all time checklist:

http://www.listchallenges.com/empire-magazines-500-greatest-films-of-all-time

I have seen 422/500. Some of the picks are really questionable though. The Star Wars prequels  :bleeding: Transformers :bleeding: :bleeding:

Eddie Teach

That was a slog. Seen 344/500.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

235. Plenty of head scratchers in the list.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

375. Wrong Psycho in the list, IMHO. Phantom Menace? Fucking nonsense.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt