News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I'm doing a Jean Reno film today, anyway. :P

I think Leon would be a good addition to the schedule, actually. :)  I should get to it before the end of August.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2015, 09:48:45 AM

I think Leon would be a good addition to the schedule, actually. :)  I should get to it before the end of August.

That would be awesome - just be sure to review the longer cut. As I'm sure you already know, the version originally released in the US was nearly half an hour shorter - a significantly different movie.

Anyway, which Reno film are you doing?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 02, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2015, 09:48:45 AM

That would be awesome - just be sure to review the longer cut. As I'm sure you already know, the version originally released in the US was nearly half an hour shorter - a significantly different movie.

Anyway, which Reno film are you doing?

Mission: Impossible, no less! :w00t:  Love these fucking movies.  Well, three of them, anyway.

And thanks for the comment. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Mission: Impossible is so good.  I think I'll rewatch it before going to MI5.

katmai

They get better farther from De Palma directing the first.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Yeah, that's true. After the vertical drop in quality in MI2, they have gotten progressively better.

It's a real pity John Woo never got a good American film going. I guess his unhinged style didn't suit the more controlled environment of Western storytelling. Face/Off is probably his most entertaining Hollywood film just due to how utterly deranged and over the top it is.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on August 03, 2015, 03:35:21 AM
Yeah, that's true. After the vertical drop in quality in MI2, they have gotten progressively better.

It's a real pity John Woo never got a good American film going. I guess his unhinged style didn't suit the more controlled environment of Western storytelling. Face/Off is probably his most entertaining Hollywood film just due to how utterly deranged and over the top it is.

I recall liking Face/Off less than Broken Arrow, but I like Broken Arrow a real awful lot, to the extent I'm probably literally its biggest fan, given I've never heard anyone else even say something nice about it.

I've never gotten a chance to watch Paycheck.

M:I 2 is no Broken Arrow.  The more I think about M:I 2, the less I like it.

The BDP M:I is definitely the best, though. :)
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Paycheck isn't *terrible* but it isn't too great either. Its main crime is the fact that it looks nothing like a John Woo film; you could have put some random hack behind the camera and you would've got the same movie, which seems a bit of a waste.

It's mostly the usual Hollywood sci-fier where they take an intriguing premise but waste it by turning the film into an ordinary action vehicle.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 01:01:03 PM
the characters do evolve, in contrast to TNG where they are always basically the same.
There's character evolution then there's show evolution. This is the latter. The evolution isn't natural (though there is some of that too), its a change of direction with them.
Rom becomes less Quark 2 and more a lovable idiot. Bashir becomes less the young go-getter and instead a super genius,
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on August 03, 2015, 10:36:15 AM

The BDP M:I is definitely the best, though. :)

Were you ever dropped on your head as a child?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Did you have a bad experience with a split diopter?
Kinemalogue

celedhring

I haven't seen MI5, but I agree that so far De Palma's entry is clearly the best of the lot.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2015, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 01:01:03 PM
the characters do evolve, in contrast to TNG where they are always basically the same.
There's character evolution then there's show evolution. This is the latter. The evolution isn't natural (though there is some of that too), its a change of direction with them.
Rom becomes less Quark 2 and more a lovable idiot. Bashir becomes less the young go-getter and instead a super genius,
but there are events pushing them in these direction.  In TNG, no matter what happens, Picard and Riker always stay the same.  THere's a reboot after every episode.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 03, 2015, 02:21:23 AM
Mission: Impossible, no less! :w00t:  Love these fucking movies.  Well, three of them, anyway.

And thanks for the comment. :hug:

Heh no prob. Watership Down is an awesomely bizzare movie in some ways - I was a kid when it came out, and it was (awkwardly) marketed to the kiddie crowd - you can just see some studeo exec scratching his head over this movie and thinking 'well, it's about talking rabbits, so it must be for kids, right?". Lord knows how many youngsters were permanently traumatized by their parents taking 'em to see this.  :lol:

I know you get a lot of flack for your movie reviews, but I for one admire them - even when I don't agree with 'em. I like your attention to details and passion for what you do.

In fact, I find 'em inspiring. I'd like to write one of two of my own in the same style, if I find the time.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Russian Ark.

This film is best known for being shot in one continuous take. While that is certainly a bit of technical bravura, it's a bit like painting with your hands tied together. The finished product isn't improved by it. If anything, the opposite. Watching this film, I was frequently wishing he would just stop moving the camera for a minute.

The film is shot from the POV of a ghost in the Hermitage in St Petersburg. He is generally a passive observer and frequently appears invisible to the people he encounters. His companion and guide of sorts is the spirit of a snooty 19th century Frenchman. They are able to move around in time and see events happening in the palace over the centuries, from Peter the Great to Nicholas II to modern day museum-goers.

It is a visual spectacle- magnificent artwork, architecture, and period costumes abound. What plot there is tends to revolve around the Frenchman. He denigrates Russian art and the narrator defends it. He harasses passers-by. He gets too close to the objects on display and gets shooed by museum guards. His antics make this better than just spending an hour and a half in the museum yourself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?