News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Saw the Mad Max trailer and thought it looked retarded.

Syt

That's because you hate fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I stand second to no man in my love and admiration of fun.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2015, 09:53:19 AM
The first two are allright harmless children films. I think their modesty actually makes them more successful than some of the ones that come after them, which often crumble under the weight of their ambitions. I agree with Ide that aesthetically and directorially they are the most uninteresting, though.
It's too harmless. Harry Potter's in the great tradition of English children's literature about orphans neglected to the point of abuse by their guardians. It's much too light-hearted and skips past the suburban heartlessness of the Dursleys who are just Roald Dahlian grotesques without the body horror.

It's another thing which makes me think people forget how much fun getting scared is when you're a kid.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2015, 06:41:43 AM
Prisoner of Azkaban is the best film. That you failed to note Imelda Staunton's performance makes me distrust all your other opinions on the series.

Interesting that none are lower than a C (the first two definitely are).

I should've mentioned Staunton, since I did like her quite a bit.  She's not my very favorite part of Phoenix, but Phoenix is my favorite movie, so take what you will from that.

QuoteIt's too harmless.

Long.  You mean it's too long.

QuoteIt's another thing which makes me think people forget how much fun getting scared is when you're a kid.

I thought Chamber of Secrets would've been cooler if those kids had died, and if Tom had bled from gaping wounds when Harry destroyed his diary, instead of just dying in CGI lightshow effects.  Impossible, of course--it was a PG-rated flick in 2002 (or '03?), and we've declined a great deal since the days of Poltergeist and Temple of Doom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2015, 03:28:45 PM
It's too harmless. Harry Potter's in the great tradition of English children's literature about orphans neglected to the point of abuse by their guardians. It's much too light-hearted and skips past the suburban heartlessness of the Dursleys who are just Roald Dahlian grotesques without the body horror.

The Dursleys aren't hugely important in the books either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

They're too important in the movies.  Like five of the fucking things begin with exactly the same scene, because they never learn, because they get their memories wiped.  Every moment with them past the first one is horrible, and they're dumb, needless obstacles in the first one, too, whose motivations to be an obstacle to Harry don't make the slightest degree of sense even if you take into account they're too stupid to recognize they're facing dangerous superhumans who want the boy.  They don't like this kid, you see, and he's being offered free boarding school, and they still get to cash his social services check.  Cha-fucking-ching, fat man!  Like thirty minutes of Sorceror's Stone is bound up in this near-padding.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2015, 03:31:37 PM
Long.  You mean it's too long.
That too. Far too much about all the fun of Hogwarts.

QuoteI thought Chamber of Secrets would've been cooler if those kids had died, and if Tom had bled from gaping wounds when Harry destroyed his diary, instead of just dying in CGI lightshow effects.  Impossible, of course--it was a PG-rated flick in 2002 (or '03?), and we've declined a great deal since the days of Poltergeist and Temple of Doom.
I'm still annoyed at the Dark Materials film fucking up. Again a series of booked I loved as a kid [spoiler]in which a corrupt powerful 'Church' severs children from their souls in the name of science.[/spoiler]

But a better example would be The Witches. I'm still scared thinking back to that film. And I loved it.

QuoteThe Dursleys aren't hugely important in the books either.
They are in the first couple. But they're awful people in the books. They're just comic in the films. A gross waste of Richard Griffiths.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Btw, S, do British people really say "Brilliant" fifty times a day and "Bloody hell" at least a dozen, like they do in the Potter movies?
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2015, 03:51:47 PM
Btw, S, do British people really say "Brilliant" fifty times a day and "Bloody hell" at least a dozen, like they do in the Potter movies?
Yes. It's a very grating country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

The most frightening British children's film of all time remains Watership Down.

A cute animated film about little bunnies in the buccolic English countryside, with watercolour hand-painted backgrounds - and totally horrifying.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2015, 03:54:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2015, 03:51:47 PM
Yes. It's a very grating country.

:D :console:
Kinemalogue