News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Again, that's small theaters in the area, not sure about the multiplexes in the cities.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 06:11:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2015, 04:56:30 AM
Just read a news article about movie theaters in Schleswig-Holstein. There's 66 theaters, but a lot of them are struggling. Many of them consider not showing any future Disney movies, including the new Avengers flick. Disney has raised the share small theaters have to from 47.7% to 53% of the ticket sales. The theaters claim that they're barely profitable as it is, and that they just can't afford to pay a higher rate. So it might be that in future the blockbusters will only be shown in the bigger cities (Kiel, maybe Lübeck, Flensburg, Neumünster) which in turn might kill many theaters in the countryside.

That's a good deal, over here distributors can carry up to 60% for big movies. And I believe it's similar in the US.

When i worked at multiplex in so cal it was based on sliding scale that for debut weekends could be as little at 20-30% of ticket sales was kept by theater, hence a big reason mark up on concessions items. The amount the theater would keep in ticket % would increase each week, which was why some films would run for 8-12 weeks in our 12 plex as those last few weeks it was i think around 40-50% of sales is what the studio were getting.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 03:10:47 AM
DS9 was cancelled after just one season in Spain and never aired again. Never released on DVD. Every trekkie I know tells me it's the best modern Trek series and I feel robbed.
Can't get some DVDs from Mexico or Argentina?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

I'm absolutely not going to watch a Spanish-American dub. I guess I could buy the English DVDs off amazon UK.

Iormlund

Sheilbh

Twins of Evil.

Not Hammer's finest hour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2015, 07:33:44 AM
DS9 was cancelled after just one season in Spain and never aired again. Never released on DVD. Every trekkie I know tells me it's the best modern Trek series and I feel robbed.

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 07:57:18 AM
I'm absolutely not going to watch a Spanish-American dub. I guess I could buy the English DVDs off amazon UK.

Never?
You did not try very hard and/or are not used to "imports", at the very least.  :P
http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_3?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A599379031%2Ck%3Adeep+space+nine%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2755415031&keywords=deep+space+nine&ie=UTF8&qid=1429456593&rnid=2755414031
Espacio Profundo Nueve FTW!

As for Spanish American dubs or Castilian dubs both suck, even Latin American imports would have the original track. Maybe they suck harder but that's not the point.

Josquius

Totally? Not even shown on satellite TV?
I can't remember it or Voyager having much of a presence on free to air TV after the first series or two in the UK either, they continued all the time on Sky however.

I would live to hear the Latin American klingons and ferengi.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 19, 2015, 10:21:18 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2015, 07:33:44 AM

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 07:57:18 AM

Never?
You did not try very hard and/or are not used to "imports", at the very least.  :P
http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_3?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A599379031%2Ck%3Adeep+space+nine%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2755415031&keywords=deep+space+nine&ie=UTF8&qid=1429456593&rnid=2755414031
Espacio Profundo Nueve FTW!

As for Spanish American dubs or Castilian dubs both suck, even Latin American imports would have the original track. Maybe they suck harder but that's not the point.

That was launched less than a year ago, to be honest I hadn't checked in a while.

I tend to binge watch stuff with mates that don't speak English, so I can't do imports.

celedhring

And apparently we're still without a full DVD release of Babylon 5 either. At least that one was on the telly a few times.

Sheilbh

Exodus. It's no Ten Commandments.

Or Prince of Egypt.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 03:47:50 PM
I tend to binge watch stuff with mates that don't speak English, so I can't do imports.

Slumming it, eh?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2015, 05:55:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2015, 03:47:50 PM

Slumming it, eh?

Nah, not really. I don't share my apartment with anybody and I live in the hip part of town. I just usually meet with mates on weekends and binge watch stuff with a few beers. Kind of thing we've done since we were in college and we just refuse to grow out of. Since we are all in the business we can pretend we're doing research.

Admiral Yi

I wasn't being 100% serious Celery.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."