And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2014, 06:25:40 PM
The Hunt. A.

[spoiler]Almost gave a B because redemption. Luckily it didn't cop out.[/spoiler]
"I don't understand why he doesn't just *eat* the townspeoeple"----my subconscious the entirety of that movie. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2014, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 05:19:13 PM
Heard on NPR that Colbert is replacing Letterman.

Might as well.  Letterman jumped the shark sometime during the Dubya administration.

And Colbert is stale.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

I loved Letterman during his/my heyday of the mid 80s to mid 90s. Trouble is, not only did he start to suck (seriously, he stopped doing really wacky things like throwing watermelons off a rooftop or the "Let me see your pictures" routine or having that actress come out in  towel, or the guy in the bear suit, or whatshisname playing the guy who lived beneath the seats.)

but also, I guess as I got older, my interest in pop culture faded, so more often than not I had no interest whatsoever in  his guests, most of whom I wouldn't recognize from anything.

Colbert. Be intersting to see if he can pull it off without his Colbert persona, which is really his shtick. Might be a bit like, and i'm dating myself here, Kiss without the makeup.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I don't understand the interest in late night TV.  It takes doing something a lot more interesting than watching TV to keep me up that late.

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 18, 2014, 05:54:26 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2014, 05:35:55 PM
I like Letterman better than Leno.

There seems to be a fairly strong split on the Leno-Letterman preference. I wonder what specifically it is that make people feel strongly one way or the other.

Leno at his best is probably better than Letterman at his best, but Leno was also at or near his best a lot less than Letterman.  I think the main problem with Leno is that he started really playing it safe after he got the Tonight Show gig.

lustindarkness

I never found Jay to be funny.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

The host of The Tonight Show is not supposed to be all that funny.  His job is to make his guests look good.

Letterman, on the other hand, uses his guests as straight men.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 18, 2014, 07:11:59 PM
I don't understand the interest in late night TV.  It takes doing something a lot more interesting than watching TV to keep me up that late.

Well I'm no longer 25 either, so that's the other thing, I'm not up much after 10.

That said there are PVRs
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Nowadays you can just find the best bits on youtube the next day or several months later.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

The only one I watch is Craig (RIP soon) but I Tivo it, so what time it airs is immaterial to me.  That goes for all TV.

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on December 18, 2014, 08:19:02 PM

Well I'm no longer 25 either, so that's the other thing, I'm not up much after 10.

That said there are PVRs

Damn old man. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I'm in bed right now. RAWR
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Bull Durham. Kinda lame. Boring as a baseball film, even worse as a romantic film, and a catcher that hit that well would have spent more than 21 days in the majors.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 19, 2014, 02:29:39 AM
Bull Durham. Kinda lame. Boring as a baseball film, even worse as a romantic film, and a catcher that hit that well would have spent more than 21 days in the majors.

You suck.

Eddie Teach

Costner wasn't bad in it, it just wasn't that good a movie.