And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Drakken on December 18, 2014, 09:04:29 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 08:27:53 AM
To be frank, fictional or not Göth remains one of the most chilling performances of Nazi evil ever put to screen, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be in these lists just because it's based on a real person.

In fact, Senor Spielbergo has admitted that he heavily toned down Goeth's violence and sadism in Schindler's List to make him almost human. Had he put 10% of what the real Goeth had done in real life no one would have believed him, he would have been accused of making a cartoonishly monstrous Nazi.

Fiennes was so good a choice, it was reported a Schindler survivor who was visiting the set saw him in SS uniform and really thought he was Amon Goeth. She got so scared, she began to get panickly and shake uncontrollably, so Fiennes and the rest of the crew had to calmly reassure her he was really just an actor.

Interesting how they had to tone down what Goeth actually did and what he was like.

Also an amazing story about the movie set and the visitor.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on December 18, 2014, 10:58:30 AM
Lusti

http://kinemalogue.blogspot.com/2014/11/we-are-of-bajor.html?m=1

Ha! Good timing too. If it takes me more than 15 minutes to read all your crap you suck.  :D Thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 18, 2014, 11:00:56 AM
Lusti

Ha! Good timing too. If it takes me more than 15 minutes to read all your crap you suck.  :D Thank you.

I read it in less than 15 mins but because I skimmed and skipped like crazy. You suck as a movie reviewer and your opinions in movies suck even more, but we love you the same. Thanks for linking me.  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 08:27:53 AM
To be frank, fictional or not Göth remains one of the most chilling performances of Nazi evil ever put to screen, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be in these lists just because it's based on a real person.

While that is a good one, Conspiracy remains the most evil non fiction nazis in my book.

QuoteSo to begin. We have a storage problem in Germany, with these Jews.

Adolf Eichmann: Now, last summer Reichsführer Himmler asked me to visit a camp up in Upper Silesia, called Auschwitz, which is very well isolated, and close to significant rail access. And we are turning that camp into a major center, solid structures (and here's where your Jewish labor comes into play, Herr Neumann, the Jews haul the bricks and they build the buildings themselves). And when the structures are complete, we expect to be able to process 2500... an hour. Not a day, an hour.

Heydrich: And those numbers look a lot better.

Luther: 2500 an hour?

Hofmann: 2500?

Adolf Eichmann: At 24 hours a day, that is 60,000.

Kritzinger: 60,000 each day...

Adolf Eichmann: That's 21,900,000 Jews a year, if ever there were that many.

Heydrich: And we are also constructing the means of disposal, which will obviously depend upon the process of combustion.

Adolf Eichmann: Yes, it'll be industrial in nature: large commercial gas-fed ovens, no residue to speak of.

Müller: 60,000 Jews every day go up in smoke.

Heydrich: We can achieve that. Imagine.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Replace "Jew" with "lawyer" and suddenly everyone is OK with it. People.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Conspiracy is indeed an outstanding film. How close do the dialogues resemble the actual minutes? It's chilling how they go about the "jewish problem" as if they were just taking care of a bunch of broken machinery. Tucci and Brannagh are amazing in it; Brannagh's jovial yet intimidating Heydrich is an all-time great portrayal, in my opinion.

celedhring

Lusti

It's a good review and I agree with many of your points.

Nolan has this glaring defect as a filmmaker, in my opinion, where plot developments and character emotions are fiercely subordinated to his vision, and he couldn't care less if they don't make any iota of sense.

Syt

Guardians of the Galaxy honest trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyJqGtP-wU

"What are you gonna do? Watch DC?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2014, 02:45:39 PM
Conspiracy is indeed an outstanding film. How close do the dialogues resemble the actual minutes? It's chilling how they go about the "jewish problem" as if they were just taking care of a bunch of broken machinery. Tucci and Brannagh are amazing in it; Brannagh's jovial yet intimidating Heydrich is an all-time great portrayal, in my opinion.

IMDB says:

QuoteSince detailed records of the Wannsee Conference did not survive World War II, minor details of the film (such as the seating arrangement at the conference table, what was actually served for lunch, and who was wearing a uniform compared to who wasn't) were totally up to the guess of the film's producers and not based on any historical evidence.

The producers and writer did have access to more primary material than it might seem at first. During his trial in Israel, Adolf Eichmann provided many details about the subject of the film, even down to specific conversations, the general tone of the meeting, and other details. In particular, it's worth noting that a good bit of the dialog in the movie is lifted verbatim from relevant memos and speeches by Nazi officials that were preserved, are part of the historical record, and cited by numerous sources. Many specific locutions used by the men in the film can be found as cited, for instance, in Gitta Sereny's book "Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth" as well as other sources. The single-page, neutered summary of the meeting that survived in the files of the German Foreign Office is far from the only primary source used by the film-makers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.