News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 08, 2014, 12:42:21 PM
Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel over the weekend.  What a great movie.  I hope it did well at the box office so more movies like it will be made.

It made a killing for this kind of film. Heck, I'm not that big a fan of Wes Anderson and even I liked it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2014, 12:34:00 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on December 08, 2014, 12:29:54 PM
So, what about Crystal Skull?

:popcorn:
I didn't hate it as much as everyone else did.

It annoyed me though because I basically thought everything about it was fine. Except for the main plot which was about fucking alien skulls :bleeding:

I loved everything about Skull except the precise staging of the fridge scene for maximum ludicrousness, and the gelded sensibilities when it came to violence, and the misuse of the freedom CGI provides. Is it the wrakest? Of couse. But was its reception also born partly of an existing animus toward Lucas, based on the terrible sprequel trilogy? I think that hypothesis has merit.

Oh, not to mention the animus towatd The Beef carried over from.Transformers. He's great in Skull. It's not his fault those other movies suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

It annoyed me though because I basically thought everything about it was fine. Except for the main plot which was about fucking alien skulls :bleeding:

It was a good effort, it had some moments.  A distant 3rd behind Temple, but still better than Last Crusade.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 12:49:38 PM
Oh, not to mention the animus towatd The Beef carried over from.Transformers. He's great in Skull. It's not his fault those other movies suck.
Agreed.

I think you're right. Lots of people went into the film wanting/expecting to hate it and him.
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
Crusade relies on cookie cutter bad guys, subpar CGI, a hurried plot with no time for development or urgency, unnecessary slapstick comedy that devalues Indy's persona, reduces the very support characters that gave Raiders depth--Sallah and Brodie--to shallow comedic sidekicks while apeing previously successful sequences with shittier versions.  Rats instead of bugs!  A slow ass tank instead of trucks!

It's a fucking embarrassment to the franchise.  It's Superman III and IV rolled up together in a sandwich of stupid.

Temple relies on cookie cutter bad guys, subpar horror, a hurried plot with no time for development or urgency, unnecessary slapstick action sequences that devalue Indy's persona, reduces the two supporting characters in the movie to shallow comedic sidekicks while apeing previously successful sequences with shittier versions.  Bugs instead of snakes!  A mine cart rollercoaster instead of trucks!

It's a fucking embarrassment to the franchise.  It's Episodes II and III rolled up together in a sandwich of stupid.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 12:54:45 PM

It was a good effort, it had some moments.  A distant 3rd behind Temple, but still better than Last Crusade.
Crusade has the best dialog in the entire series. Stoppard wrote entire scenes. 

"Do you remember the last time we had a drink together?  I had a milkshake."

I'm not going to lie-Last Crusade might be my favorite movie.  I've still probably seen it more than any other movie, and probably not accidental that I eventually developed my Eastern Christendom fetish.  Heck there's even a reference to the Armenian Genocide. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on December 08, 2014, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
Crusade relies on cookie cutter bad guys, subpar CGI, a hurried plot with no time for development or urgency, unnecessary slapstick comedy that devalues Indy's persona, reduces the very support characters that gave Raiders depth--Sallah and Brodie--to shallow comedic sidekicks while apeing previously successful sequences with shittier versions.  Rats instead of bugs!  A slow ass tank instead of trucks!

It's a fucking embarrassment to the franchise.  It's Superman III and IV rolled up together in a sandwich of stupid.

Temple relies on cookie cutter bad guys, subpar horror, a hurried plot with no time for development or urgency, unnecessary slapstick action sequences that devalue Indy's persona, reduces the two supporting characters in the movie to shallow comedic sidekicks while apeing previously successful sequences with shittier versions.  Bugs instead of snakes!  A mine cart rollercoaster instead of trucks!

It's a fucking embarrassment to the franchise.  It's Episodes II and III rolled up together in a sandwich of stupid.

You fail at grumbler doctrine.  It's an acquired art, not one you can simply dive into.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on December 08, 2014, 01:00:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2014, 12:28:30 PM
Crusade's always been my favourite. I think because it was the first Indy film I saw and it was wonderful.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FALAFALLFAILLAFLAILFAILIAILFIALFAIFLFAIL

Ideologue

I guess CDM gives Crusade a B.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, the other thing I appreciated about Skull.is that (kinda by design, kinda by accident) it handles aging well. Contrast the lip service given in Skyfall and The Dark Knight Rises. Sure, it's partly an artifact (lol) of Ford's checked-out performance, but it works.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2014, 12:48:54 PM
Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel over the weekend.  What a great movie.  I hope it did well at the box office so more movies like it will be made.

It made a killing for this kind of film. Heck, I'm not that big a fan of Wes Anderson and even I liked it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was indeed awesome. One of the few movies I've seen twice in the theatres during its initial run - saw it with some friends, then insisted my wife see it also (she loved it).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2014, 01:20:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2014, 12:48:54 PM

The Grand Budapest Hotel was indeed awesome. One of the few movies I've seen twice in the theatres during its initial run - saw it with some friends, then insisted my wife see it also (she loved it).

I am now wishing I saw it in the theatres.  Some of those scenes would have been great up on the big screen.

Syt

Agreed that Skulls is not as awful as people claim. Soviets make for decent villains. Its major misstep is the CGI jungle chase (the monkeys! :bleeing: ), but I guess a stupid looking CGI set piece can't be avoided with Lucas these days.

Also, it's introducing two characters (Oxley and Mack) that you're supposed to care about, but they get too little screen time for that. It would have been awesome to have Jones Sr. instead of Oxley (I think it was originally intended that way?), and maybe replace Mack with Sallah (or Short Round?) to raise the impact of the betrayal for the fans. Hell, with Shortie you could even go and cast a completely new actor and have a quasi-buddy or rival thing with Mutt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

You had me until this point.  The franchise has been a constant downward slide; each subsequent movie is worse than the previous one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 08, 2014, 02:20:08 PM

You had me until this point.  The franchise has been a constant downward slide; each subsequent movie is worse than the previous one.

The Beouf did good, Cate Blanchett had a hot haircut and accent, and what better baddies to replace Nazis than 1950's Cold War Soviets.  Still beats chasing a tank at 9mph.