News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: frunk on December 08, 2014, 11:32:21 AM
Only the original for me.  Last Crusade is ok, Temple is awful.  It, along with Jedi, is the start of Lucas indulging in his worst impulses.

I thought Spielberg had the conn for the Indy movies.

lustindarkness

I like them all, you people are way too bored.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on December 08, 2014, 11:51:33 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2014, 11:36:06 AM
I just can't get past how annoying I find the woman in Temple of Doom.

Apparently, Spielberg didn't mind the actress' annoyingly whiny voice - he married her.  :lol:

I married Karen Allen. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 08, 2014, 11:53:10 AM
I thought Spielberg had the conn for the Indy movies.

Script by Lucas.  The script is the problem in Temple.  It's well directed, and (apart from Capshaw) well acted.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 11:48:46 AM
Money is being ridiculous again. :(

Temple is an adventure in the best tradition of Kiplingesque globetrotting and swashbuckling action, mysterious and exotic in subcontinent romanticism.

Crusade relies on cookie cutter bad guys, subpar CGI, a hurried plot with no time for development or urgency, unnecessary slapstick comedy that devalues Indy's persona, reduces the very support characters that gave Raiders depth--Sallah and Brodie--to shallow comedic sidekicks while apeing previously successful sequences with shittier versions.  Rats instead of bugs!  A slow ass tank instead of trucks!

It's a fucking embarrassment to the franchise.  It's Superman III and IV rolled up together in a sandwich of stupid. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 11:46:08 AM
I understand that Spielbergs goal with Raiders was gritty realism, but he just wanted to loosen up a bit in the sequels.

With Last Crusade, he wanted to cash in on the same schtick that made Star Trek IV: The Voyage To A Wider Audience so successful.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 12:10:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 11:46:08 AM
I understand that Spielbergs goal with Raiders was gritty realism, but he just wanted to loosen up a bit in the sequels.

With Last Crusade, he wanted to cash in on the same schtick that made Star Trek IV: The Voyage To A Wider Audience so successful.

I was being super sarcastic.

Crusade's great. You'd just outgrown it. You were, what, 30 when it came out?

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Crusade's always been my favourite. I think because it was the first Indy film I saw and it was wonderful.
Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

So, what about Crystal Skull?

:popcorn:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 08, 2014, 12:29:54 PM

I queued 4 hours at the Ziegfield to see it on opening day. I should've known better.

Sheilbh

I didn't hate it as much as everyone else did.

It annoyed me though because I basically thought everything about it was fine. Except for the main plot which was about fucking alien skulls :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 10:57:26 AM
That's enough out of you Last Crusade fanboi fags.

It's very mediocre. Though I think it's a toss up between Crusade and Temple. Temple would win if it weren't for the Goonie and Screamie McScreampants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2014, 12:33:00 PM

I queued 4 hours at the Ziegfield to see it on opening day. I should've known better.

:nelson:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Saw the Grand Budapest Hotel over the weekend.  What a great movie.  I hope it did well at the box office so more movies like it will be made.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

It annoyed me though because I basically thought everything about it was fine. Except for the main plot which was about fucking alien skulls :bleeding:

I didn't hate it as much as everyone else did.

I didn't mind that, to be honest. Another judeo-christian artifact would have been sort of overkill, so the whole Von Däniken angle was kinda cool. But I admit that I'm sucker for flicks with aliens in them.

The thing that grated me the most is the fact that once they go to the temple, Indy does absolutely nothing, nothing. We have an entire third act where Indiana Jones - the quintessential adventure hero - just stays in the sidelines while others solve the puzzles and the commie bitch kills herself*. At least in Crusade it's him who beats the puzzles and then the Nazi kills himself.

*Which is a trite trope already. It was cool in Raiders, but they have gone to that well too many times in the saga.