And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
Plus the business guy isn't a British jackass.

When the migration of the European center of banking from London to Berlin is finally completed, you won't have British jackasses to worry about, just mild-mannered-yet-somehow-still-threatening German jackasses.

Germans don't scare me. They don't take a shit without 5 forms filled out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 06:32:14 PM
I have no idea why critics went nuts over it. Good production design, but even as an actioner, this is the year of several awesome superhero flicks and The Raid 2.
And John Wick.  JOHN WICK, goddamn it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 10:35:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
Plus the business guy isn't a British jackass.

When the migration of the European center of banking from London to Berlin is finally completed, you won't have British jackasses to worry about, just mild-mannered-yet-somehow-still-threatening German jackasses.

Germans don't scare me. They don't take a shit without 5 forms filled out.

Except for when it's sex related.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on December 03, 2014, 10:36:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 06:32:14 PM
I have no idea why critics went nuts over it. Good production design, but even as an actioner, this is the year of several awesome superhero flicks and The Raid 2.
And John Wick.  JOHN WICK, goddamn it.

OK, OK.  I haven't seen it yet. :sadblush:  Plus, John Wick hadn't come out yet when Snowpiercer came to the States, whereas I think X-Men: DOFP had and I'm certain Raid 2 had.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Act of Valor - every time it's on TV I get glued to that stupid film; it's brainless jingoism, but the action scenes are really well shot. The Jewish financier that funds muslim terrorists is got to be one of the wrongest characters in recent memory too  :D

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 03, 2014, 05:29:59 PM
Ide, if it makes you feel any better, I really enjoyed John Carter and in my opinion it is a great film.
I agree, an absolutely fantastic spectacle. The marketing for it was criminally incompetent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2014, 05:57:05 AM
Ide, if it makes you feel any better, I really enjoyed John Carter and in my opinion it is a great film.
I agree, an absolutely fantastic spectacle. The marketing for it was criminally incompetent.

What marketing? <_<
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 04, 2014, 09:16:44 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 04, 2014, 05:57:05 AM

What marketing? <_<
Exactly!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Not promoting it was the most ethical course of action.

Eddie Teach

Saw the first couple episodes of Longmire. It's well-made, but I don't really care for procedural dramas that spend so much time on things that won't affect future episodes in the slightest. And the parts that will matter to the series as a whole tend to be the soapier bits, like the sheriff's daughter dating the deputy who's running against him. A good cop show needs to be able to stretch the main case out over the season IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

QuoteJames Bond has returned. Twenty-five months after "Skyfall" debuted, director Sam Mendes announced the title and cast of the 24th Bond film during a press conference at Pinewood Studios in England on Thursday. The next 007 adventure, "Spectre," will arrive in theaters on Nov. 6, 2015.

"Those of you have some knowledge of the Bond franchise and the legend of Bond will probably have some idea of what that refers to, but I couldn't possibly comment," Mendes said of the title, a dog whistle for fans. In the Bond films, SPECTRE stands for "Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion"; Ernst Stavro Blofeld is the organization's leader.

Daniel Craig will star again as James Bond, with help from new cast members Christoph Waltz, Andrew Scott, Dave Bautista, Lea Seydoux and Monica Bellucci. Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Rory Kinnear and Naomie Harris will reprise their "Skyfall" roles. Mendes, of course, returns to direct.

Waltz was first attached to "Spectre" back in mid-November. It's rumored that he's set to play Blofeld in the new film, but that was not announced on Thursday. Instead, producers said Waltz will play a man named Oberhauser. The Daily Mail had previously reported that Oberhauser was the "son of the late Hans Oberhauser, a ski instructor who acted as a father figure to Bond." Former Bond star Roger Moore wasn't buying the subterfuge:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

How is that a dog whistle? :P

Anyway, should be a lot more enjoyable than Skyfall. I hope they follow the Coens' lead and hire Bruno Delbonnel to replace Roger Deakins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on December 04, 2014, 12:32:06 PM
How is that a dog whistle? :P

Anyway, should be a lot more enjoyable than Skyfall. I hope they follow the Coens' lead and hire Bruno Delbonnel to replace Roger Deakins.

Do you want a shit movie. What has Delbonnel really done?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I really don't get people's love for Skyfall. It was a bit underwhelming; certainly better than Quantuum, but that's faint praise.

The revenge against M plot didn't do it for me. You want a "personal" villain, fine, but make it about Bond, not a goddamn supporting character.