Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2014, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 10:02:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2014, 04:15:45 AM
Speaking of unemployment, Ide, are you unemployed too right now?

Nope, but I don't get paid enough for anyone to love me.  Thus the effect is similar. :(

Hi FB.  Hope you're well, old buddy.

Oh well. Anyway, I was going to suggest that you and Sheilbh, as unemployed bearded men in their twenties, do what my boyfriend did.

I'm 32.

He needs to check his gay, young privilege.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Ideologue

Sheilbh, re: TDKR: exactly.

I still gave it a B+ on formal review because I like superheroes punching. :sadblush:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Batman is not technically a superhero genre. It's more film noir with gadgets. :P

Ideologue

Sure, and Man of Steel was a journalistic thriller.
Kinemalogue

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2014, 11:42:56 AM
Batman is not technically a superhero genre. It's more film noir with gadgets. :P

Yeah, and Poison Ivy was a femme fatale  :rolleyes:

Martinus

To me a superhero needs to have superhuman abilities. Batman heroes and villains simply use technology.

Similarly, in Watchmen only Dr Manhattan was a superhero.

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on December 03, 2014, 07:17:39 AM
Paddington the Bear was one of my childhood favourites, so I'd still go and watch it. Alone. I'd probably not wear a duster and a hat and sit among the children, though.  :hmm:

I liked paddington, but always preferred Rupert
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

I always found British children films very weird. Most of them felt like Downton Abbey with animals.

Norgy

You're thinking of "The Wind in the Willows", Marty. A proper little gentleman's story. Don't forget, Winnie the Pooh is originally a British childrens' book, too.

Surely, the Teletubbies gave off no such vibe. If any, it was "We have written a childrens' show on mushrooms and acid, and we're so happy about, we popped a few Es as well".

"Postman Pat" was more about the working class finding their place and getting on with doing their job. Same with "Bob the Builder", except he probably didn't get his last contract, due to "Janósz the Builder" underbidding him, so he's now "Bob the UKIP member".

Josquius

I've been watching Farscape.
Soooooo many bottle episodes.
But enjoyable
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2014, 10:36:56 AM
You just liked Heinz Field getting blown up. :P

Sure, but Heinz Ward didn't.  Asshole gets away with everything.

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on December 03, 2014, 12:42:48 PM
You're thinking of "The Wind in the Willows", Marty. A proper little gentleman's story. Don't forget, Winnie the Pooh is originally a British childrens' book, too.

Surely, the Teletubbies gave off no such vibe. If any, it was "We have written a childrens' show on mushrooms and acid, and we're so happy about, we popped a few Es as well".

"Postman Pat" was more about the working class finding their place and getting on with doing their job. Same with "Bob the Builder", except he probably didn't get his last contract, due to "Janósz the Builder" underbidding him, so he's now "Bob the UKIP member".

Wind in the Willows is awesome. The name of Pink Floyd's debut album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, is the name of the more metaphysical chapter in that book.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

I remember when I was young--9, 10, something like that--my grandmother gave me a collection of Paddington the Bear's books.  The only thing I can remember is how fucking boring they were.

MadImmortalMan

My wife watched Muppets Take Manhattan last night.

Quote from: Mrs. MIM
Miss Piggy is an entitled bitch and a stalker. Kermit should not marry her.

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers