News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on December 03, 2014, 04:15:45 AM
Speaking of unemployment, Ide, are you unemployed too right now?

Nope, but I don't get paid enough for anyone to love me.  Thus the effect is similar. :(

Hi FB.  Hope you're well, old buddy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Fireblade

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 10:02:11 AM

Nope, but I don't get paid enough for anyone to love me.  Thus the effect is similar. :(

Hi Ide :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on December 03, 2014, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 01:16:10 AM
Is it okay for a, say, mid-twenties bearded unemployed man to go on his own to watch the Paddington the Bear film at the cinema?

Asking for me :(

There's no way you are in your mid 20s, surely? I met you 12 years ago and you weren't in your early teens...
Mid to late? Probably veering closer to late, but I don't like to admit that :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

So I finally watched The Dark Knight Rises.

That's a film with issues <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

What issues?  Someone else in the thread (Ide?) said something similar, but I don't recall any glaring issues.  Certainly not at the level of The Dark Knight, but still a good movie.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: Gups on December 03, 2014, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 01:16:10 AM
Is it okay for a, say, mid-twenties bearded unemployed man to go on his own to watch the Paddington the Bear film at the cinema?

Asking for me :(

There's no way you are in your mid 20s, surely? I met you 12 years ago and you weren't in your early teens...
Mid to late? Probably veering closer to late, but I don't like to admit that :P

So you were 15/16 when Me & Marty met you in Clapham with my baby son (now nearly 13 and 5'10")? Blimey.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Also, what were your issues with Fallen Skies 11B?  I'm not very far into the series yet, but I like it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 03, 2014, 10:22:28 AM
What issues?  Someone else in the thread (Ide?) said something similar, but I don't recall any glaring issues.  Certainly not at the level of The Dark Knight, but still a good movie.

Theme issues, not plot issues, you cold, logical, beautiful engineer. :)

Also, yes, it has serious plot issues.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

People overthunk it.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:34:11 AM

People overthunk it.

Actually, I think Nolan is the one that did.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2014, 10:34:11 AM

People overthunk it.

You just liked Heinz Field getting blown up. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Speaking of which, anyone watching Gotham? I was skeptical at first, but by now the series has grown on me. Also, some of the characters that I initially thought I'd hate [spoiler]such as Penguin, or both mafia bosses, or Bullock[/spoiler] are turning out quite interesting.

Sheilbh

It felt very disjointed and episodic. As I was watching it I thought it felt more like binge-watching TV than working together.

It was really bad with time. There were parts of the film that really, really dragged. On the other hand there where bits of the film were I don't think you care or understand the characters because not enough time's been spent with them. Again it reminded me of TV, if you've just sat down and watched The Dark Knight you might be affected by the first half an hour with Alfred and Bruce. But if you haven't I don't think you're made to care about that. The relationships with women in the film are hilarious and rapid which is rather disconcerting and also makes some moments in the film feel a bit ridiculous, because you've not really seen enough to explain them. And an age is spent explaining in various ways that Wayne is still mourning or caught on his old lover. How he's not really interested in the world or moving on, when once he's met his Tate it takes some very light flirting in the rain and they're shagging on a rug.

I think bits of it weren't terribly focused. It really annoyed me for example that they started with stuff about how Gotham and Wayne have changed since the Dark Knight, which I think would've been interesting and made you care more (especially with the Alfred-Bruce bits). As it was it was just used as a clunking great plot point about how old and falling apart Wayne is, which then doesn't seem to go anywhere. (Edit: From memory he's in a bad way physically but still okay at doing lots of things like abseiling and dancing, then he gets the thing on his leg and he's fine and able to take on 90% of Bane's army - that he's all beat up and too old for this shit is never really mentioned again despite him being in a hole for a while.)

I felt the same about Bane's Gotham. It was introduced but then rather than making you care about the characters or understand them it's just the next link in the plot. Similarly here was barely any sense of danger about the city despite the fact that most of the time we were watching we were following insurgent police officers. All too often I found we'd jump to the conclusion not the bit before hand (something trivial like Gordon-Levitt's character sending a message down to the other cops). It made all of them feel superhero-y rather than the scary, paranoid, breaking down city that I think you're meant to feel with, for example, the court scenes. Of course these guys accomplish all of this, every time because despite having no police service and being ruled by violent mercenaries there's no sense of danger on Gotham's preternaturally clean and empty streets. We have this revolutionary Gotham but then it's of no use except as the next link in the plot.

Those were my main issues. I quite like Bane (though the re-dubbed comprehensible Bane sounds very re-dubbed which is a bit annoying). I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's role. I was a big fan of Selina Kyle too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 03, 2014, 10:02:11 AM

Oh well. Anyway, I was going to suggest that you and Sheilbh, as unemployed bearded men in their twenties, do what my boyfriend did.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?