News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Not a big fan of the books. Liked 1 and 2 well enough, but quit around volume 3, because it kept meandering and Martin didn't seem to have any plan where he was going with all of this.

With the TV series I have some hope that he'll tighten things and get to a close somehow, even if he doesn't finish the books because a cheeto gets lodged in his main artery in two or three years. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 01:16:10 AM
Is it okay for a, say, mid-twenties bearded unemployed man to go on his own to watch the Paddington the Bear film at the cinema?

Asking for me :(

Just tell yourself "IF I had kids I'd be using them as an excuse to go watch it" and bite the bullet. That's what I'll be doing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2014, 04:26:56 AM
Not a big fan of the books. Liked 1 and 2 well enough, but quit around volume 3, because it kept meandering and Martin didn't seem to have any plan where he was going with all of this.

With the TV series I have some hope that he'll tighten things and get to a close somehow, even if he doesn't finish the books because a cheeto gets lodged in his main artery in two or three years. :P

If you thought that on book 3 better not follow to book 4 and beyond. :lol: I don't know at which point you quit but book 3 is probably the most action packed rollercoaster-y one, mostly during the second half of it, and it doesn't really meander, which is not what can be said about books 4 and 5.

A friend o mine couldn't get into the books either and didn't even finish the 1st one, but absolutely loves the show. It vastly improves things in many ways. You'll enjoy it.

Duque de Bragança

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2014, 01:07:04 PM
Stephen Colbert's take on the Ep. 7 light saber hand guard controversy:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/umsrnb/lightsaber-controversy

:lol: :nerd:

I had to watch Colbert to realise what the beef with the trailer is (I just thought originally the trailer was actually a parody, with the R2D2 ball and the black stormtrooper - turns out it was legit). I hate nerds.

celedhring

I decided to stick with Homeland, and the last two episodes have been great. It took its sweet time to get to some place interesting, but I must watch until the end now.

However, the feeling I get from the series is that the US should nuke Pakistan back to the stone age and forget about that place until the end of times. Which I'm not sure is the kind of message they are aiming for  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2014, 05:07:40 AM

If you thought that on book 3 better not follow to book 4 and beyond. :lol: I don't know at which point you quit but book 3 is probably the most action packed rollercoaster-y one, mostly during the second half of it, and it doesn't really meander, which is not what can be said about books 4 and 5.

A friend o mine couldn't get into the books either and didn't even finish the 1st one, but absolutely loves the show. It vastly improves things in many ways. You'll enjoy it.

I think it was one or two hundred pages into book three. I think I quit when he called Brienne "homely" the third time on two pages and couldn't take it anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2014, 05:16:27 AM

I think it was one or two hundred pages into book three. I think I quit when he called Brienne "homely" the third time on two pages and couldn't take it anymore.

Well, the second half of book 3 is an absolute nail biter all along, so if you want to pick it up again you won't be dissapointed if you are able to get over Martin's sometimes extra flowery prose.  ;)

Martinus

To be honest, I stopped reading the books when the show came out and I consider the show to be superior. So I wouldn't bother with the books anymore. Especially as it is likely that the show will finish the story faster than the books. :P

Eddie Teach

I don't think there's been more than one book that's come out in that span. I borrowed my sister's copy. :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Aye, the Game of Thrones series is an exemplary adaptation. Somehow they've made the 3 first books better, and they were pretty great to begin with, so I'm confident they'll manage to "fix" the mess that comes afterwards.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2014, 06:07:31 AM
Aye, the Game of Thrones series is an exemplary adaptation.

Agreed.  Writers for the show really worked some magic.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2014, 05:15:46 AM
I decided to stick with Homeland, and the last two episodes have been great. It took its sweet time to get to some place interesting, but I must watch until the end now.

However, the feeling I get from the series is that the US should nuke Pakistan back to the stone age and forget about that place until the end of times. Which I'm not sure is the kind of message they are aiming for  :lol:

Agreed. Got off to a slow start. It's almost finished now, just as it gets good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 03, 2014, 01:16:10 AM
Is it okay for a, say, mid-twenties bearded unemployed man to go on his own to watch the Paddington the Bear film at the cinema?

Asking for me :(
No, he should invite a London-based on-line friend who secretly wants to see it too  :bowler:

frunk

I'm in that boat.  Couldn't even finish the first book, but love the tv show.