News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

You seen every movie ever made before you were born?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 07:51:51 PM
You seen every movie ever made before you were born?

I make a point to see the good ones, yes.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Money's made a point to see the good ones between when he was born and when he was nineteen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

We had time to kill watching HBO when we was faking being sick and staying home from school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 01, 2014, 06:19:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2014, 04:39:58 PM
Snowpiercer. Really stupid, and not in a good way.

I've seen multiple posters comment on how stupid it is, and I have a question:  if you knew the basic premise going in, either from the trailer or the description, couldn't you figure out it was going to be just that stupid?

While the premise is silly, that's not a deal maker.  The way they explore the premise makes it dumb.  A criticism of the class system, fair enough.  But only like 4 people actually do any work so the class system doesn't make a lick of sense.  In in act of rebellion they bring down this bizarre social system by killing the last people in the world.  The two surviving people see a polar bear (in the Ural mountains!), so they aren't likely to last more then an hour.  The end.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2014, 08:46:11 PM
While the premise is silly, that's not a deal maker.  The way they explore the premise makes it dumb.  A criticism of the class system, fair enough.  But only like 4 people actually do any work so the class system doesn't make a lick of sense.  In in act of rebellion they bring down this bizarre social system by killing the last people in the world.  The two surviving people see a polar bear (in the Ural mountains!), so they aren't likely to last more then an hour.  The end.

So the polar bear wins in the end?  Maybe it's worth seeing after all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 08:06:49 PM
Money's made a point to see the good ones between when he was born and when he was nineteen.

Usually movie reviewers that think they're clever cover the basics first.

Sheilbh

Amazon picked up Ripper Street! :w00t:

Two episodes into the third series and I still like it a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2014, 09:36:57 PM
Amazon picked up Ripper Street! :w00t:

Two episodes into the third series and I still like it a lot.
Too bad it hasn't hit the US yet... :ph34r: :pirate
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 01, 2014, 09:12:16 PM
A suggestion for you Ide

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120155/remembering-hiroshima-mon-amour-manny-farber-and-stanley-kauffmann

It's pretty imperative I see it at some point, as well as Black Orpheus and The 400 Blows, as Thomson mentions in his write-up.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 01, 2014, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 08:06:49 PM

Usually movie reviewers that think they're clever cover the basics first.

There are probably two thousand movies, maybe five thousand, that constitute "the basics"--only a fraction of which you or I have ever seen.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

I don't think you'll like 400 Blows to be honest.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 01, 2014, 09:57:17 PM
There are probably two thousand movies, maybe five thousand, that constitute "the basics"--only a fraction of which you or I have ever seen.

But see, you're precisely the kind of ferocious knucklehead who will wax philosophical on a director like Spielberg, using flowery language and too many comma splices without seeing his entire body of work.  That's just slovenly. 
If he were still alive, Roger Ebert would just shake what was left of his head at you.

Ideologue

I've seen Duel.  Do I need to see Always?  I very much doubt it.

Anyway, so what?  Truly exhaustive research is impossible.  I wax philosophical about W.C. Menzies, and I've only seen three (or five, depending on your definition) of his dozenish (or two dozenish) pictures. In fairness, many are unavailable to us today, but even if they weren't, and I'd seen every last one, all I could then comment upon was the films themselves: the production histories would remain largely opaque except in cases like Gone With the Wind and Things to Come.  And even those histories are obscure.  You ask too much.

P.S. Roger Ebert hadn't had a real job in like three decades by the point he'd become a truly expert film historian, which is--after all--rather distinct from "film critic."
Kinemalogue