News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2014, 10:06:18 PM
Three movies, all way to long.  I remember when the studios would get into big fights with the directors and try to cut thing out.  I guess now days they don't give a shit.  I guess Jackson's vision was one 12 hour movie and they talked him down to making three four hour ones.

What studios want nowadays is to string out franchises as much as possible. See, for instance, the recent ridiculous tendency of even splitting the final installment of a franchise into two different movies, like in Hunger Games or Twilight.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2014, 09:54:57 PM
I haven't seen any of the new Hobbit movies, and granted I am old and decrepit and haven't read the book since junior high so my memory may not be what it used to be, but when I see these commercials--how many movies is it now? Three? Five?--I simply don't recall Legolas atop a battle moose. I mean, I think I would've remembered that.

Three.  They are all completely indulgent and over the top nonsense.  And they are glorious.  I can't wait.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2014, 04:55:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 27, 2014, 10:06:18 PM
Three movies, all way to long.  I remember when the studios would get into big fights with the directors and try to cut thing out.  I guess now days they don't give a shit.  I guess Jackson's vision was one 12 hour movie and they talked him down to making three four hour ones.

What studios want nowadays is to string out franchises as much as possible. See, for instance, the recent ridiculous tendency of even splitting the final installment of a franchise into two different movies, like in Hunger Games or Twilight.

It made sense when they did it for Harry Potter.  But it worked for that series so now everybody is doing it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

I disagree totally on the Hobbit.

I've only seen the first film, which I loved. I don't generally get on with Tolkien and I only read LotR last year. But I enjoyed those films a lot and I really like the way the Hobbit is fleshing out and explaining that background.

For people who really like Tolkien and know those other stories or how it all fits together, it may be really tedious and I generally prefer shorter films. But I think if you're someone, like me, who enjoyed LotR as films and didn't object to their length then you'll enjoy it.

Oddly enough the bits that had me rolling my eyes were actually in the book and quite faithfully adapted :lol:

Having said all that for some reason I can't sit in a dark comfy room for three hours without needing the toilet twice and going to sleep, so I will wait until they're on Netflix and I can comfortably pause.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2014, 05:16:57 PM
But I think if you're someone, like me, who enjoyed LotR as films and didn't object to their length then you'll enjoy it.

Indeed I am totally gaga for them.  I will get the extended editions for them just like I did for the LotR films.  Those ridiculous scenes in the Lonely Mountain in the last film were just amazing.  I cannot wait for December 17th.

lustindarkness

If they do the big battle scene right, which I really really hope they do, it will be an epic scene.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

They certainly should have the budget for it after the first two.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2014, 05:40:21 PMThey certainly should have the budget for it after the first two.

AFAIK they filmed all three movies back to back, which is much cheaper than doing three separate shootings. It's the same thing they did for LotR.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2014, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2014, 05:16:57 PM
But I think if you're someone, like me, who enjoyed LotR as films and didn't object to their length then you'll enjoy it.

Indeed I am totally gaga for them.  I will get the extended editions for them just like I did for the LotR films.  Those ridiculous scenes in the Lonely Mountain in the last film were just amazing.  I cannot wait for December 17th.
+1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Well, I'm going to wager J.J. Abrams can't destroy any more of my childhood than George Lucas could, so there's that.

X-Wings on the deck gave me a 60 Seconds Over Tokyo boner.

Edit:  Make that 30 Seconds, but I would've turned around for another pass.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2014, 06:32:58 PM
Well, I'm going to wager J.J. Abrams can't destroy any more of my childhood than George Lucas could, so there's that.

X-Wings on the deck gave me a 60 Seconds Over Tokyo boner.

Edit:  Make that 30 Seconds, but I would've turned around for another pass.

Yeah, that's my favorite moment of the trailer as well.

11B4V

X-Wings are gay and stupid looking.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 28, 2014, 07:50:02 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 28, 2014, 06:56:07 PM
X-Wings are gay and stupid looking.

No, u are. Gaylord.

Fuck your science faketion

bitch ass

Ed Anger

Ugh, new Cattlecar Galactica. Blerg.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive