And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on November 28, 2014, 06:56:07 PM
X-Wings are gay and stupid looking.

Bet you're a flying solar panel fan, aren't you?  Mitsubishi TIEs.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2014, 10:30:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 28, 2014, 06:56:07 PM
X-Wings are gay and stupid looking.

Bet you're a flying solar panel fan, aren't you?  Mitsubishi TIEs.

Those are stupid too.

Super Star Destroyer

Go big or suck a fat baby dick.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

So I happened to get a Black Friday coupon from B+N, and this is my Criterion sale "haul":

1)Yojimbo + Sanjuro box set (replacing the one my dad cannily picked when I said he could have any individual Criterion box, and the target of the 30% off coupon); along with
2)Mystery Train (my Christmas present to my dad for this year, in addition to any other box he chooses from my stacks)

What a drag. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

In the ongoing feature series, "great movies I somehow never watched:" L.A. Confidential. Started watching it just to peek in just before bed, but then watched the whole damn thing till 2am.

Excellent movie. I especially liked the arc of the three main characters, going from insufferable jerks to heroes you root for. Very tight script with little to no padding. I knew that L.A. Noire took more than just a bit of inspiration from this movie, but I had many memory flashbacks with the movie's characters and locations. :lol:

For some reason young Russell Crowe with his buzzcut and suit reminded me of Shia LaBoef, if the beef could act.

8.75/10.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I like Shia.  I wish nerds (not necessarily you, but in general) were more embracing of change, and we could've had a Mutt Williams trilogy.  A 1950s greaser archaeologist fighting commies and super-scientists and aliens and maybe, if you're good, Argentinian Nazis?  What's not to like?  That poor devil. :(

But yeah, LA Confidential is fucking rad.  I don't know why I don't own it, I should.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2014, 01:28:16 AM
For some reason young Russell Crowe with his buzzcut and suit reminded me of Shia LaBoef, if the beef could act.

That's fucking bizarre dude.

Quote8.75/10.

And you gave Edge of Tomorrow a 7.5

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 28, 2014, 02:34:50 AM
Legolas wasn't even in the Hobbit.  That is one of the changes they made just to bring Orlando Bloom back and tie it in/exploit from the FotR films.
In theory he could have been, but the character wasn't created yet.  The Wood Elf King from The Hobbit is his father after all.  I'm not a big fan of the changes Jackson has thrown in in larger quantities with each subsequent film.  From the ghost army at the Pelennor Fields to the breaking of the company of the dwarves before they reach Erebor to the silly Smaug chase they seem to be popping up more and more often.  That being said, I still own every one of the extended editions and will be seeing the last film opening night and purchasing the Extended Edition of that as well.  One of the things that I did really enjoy is the addition of the White Council/Necromancer of Dol Guldur scenes he's threaded into the story.  I think you could have made an excellent pair of 3ish hour movies out of the material he has, but by extending it out, it has become too filled with fluff.  We'll see how the extended edition of Five Armies is before I give a final judgment.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

The second hobbit film killed it for me.
I'll watch the 3rd when it pops up on netflix or wherever but I won't be seeking it out.

I've started watching a drama called Lillehammer. It is a rather great American-Norwegian affair.
Is it a Lillehammer accent thing that people sound Swedish? I can't remember people in Norwegian films I've seen before being so understandable.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I've enjoyed the Hobbit films thus far. Probably more than the LOTR, due to lower expectations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2014, 01:29:34 AM
I like Shia.  I wish nerds (not necessarily you, but in general) were more embracing of change, and we could've had a Mutt Williams trilogy.  A 1950s greaser archaeologist fighting commies and super-scientists and aliens and maybe, if you're good, Argentinian Nazis?  What's not to like?  That poor devil. :(
Agreed.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Battle LA: bland and clichéd alien invasion flick. There are worse (hello Battleship), but much better too.

Now that I think of it, The Edge of Tomorrow might be the best "big scale" alien invasion flick that I have seen.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2014, 01:28:16 AM
In the ongoing feature series, "great movies I somehow never watched:" L.A. Confidential. Started watching it just to peek in just before bed, but then watched the whole damn thing till 2am.

Excellent movie. I especially liked the arc of the three main characters, going from insufferable jerks to heroes you root for. Very tight script with little to no padding. I knew that L.A. Noire took more than just a bit of inspiration from this movie, but I had many memory flashbacks with the movie's characters and locations. :lol:

8.75/10.

It's about goddamned time you saw it. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 29, 2014, 01:29:34 AM

Yeah, I like him, if only because he's been consistently more tolerable than other Generation Assburger's Flavors of the Months (Tobey Maguire, Elijah Wood, etc).

Eddie Teach

The Transformers movies are dumb.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?