News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Wherever Netflix lands, Amazon Prime is sure to follow.  Can't let Netflix have all the money, that would make Jeffe Bezos hurt.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2014, 08:24:53 AM
It appears with the arrival of Netflix, Amazon now also decided to offer their streaming services in Austria.

It appears there's two options:
- Amazon Prime (with free premium delivery, a free ebook for lending per month, and limitless streaming from Prime instant video): EUR 49.-/year
- just the streaming from Prime instant video for EUR 7.99/month, or EUR 95.88/year
:hmm:

Bezos business model is not about making instant money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2014, 08:24:53 AM
It appears with the arrival of Netflix, Amazon now also decided to offer their streaming services in Austria.

It appears there's two options:
- Amazon Prime (with free premium delivery, a free ebook for lending per month, and limitless streaming from Prime instant video): EUR 49.-/year
- just the streaming from Prime instant video for EUR 7.99/month, or EUR 95.88/year
:hmm:
I had the same when Amazon took over Lovefilm. I had a Lovefilm acount at £7.99 a month or could get an Amazon Prime account at, I think, £75 a year which had the same plus the extras.

I got Prime and promptly ended up buying probably a couple of hundred quids worth of books over the next three months because they'd arrive the next day :blush: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

In Germany, next day delivery was pretty much the norm with Amazon; living near a major city (Hamburg) didn't hurt, either.

In Austria it's often two business days minimum - if the item comes from the dispatch center in Linz, and not from Germany or further away). :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2014, 10:23:42 AM
In Germany, next day delivery was pretty much the norm with Amazon; living near a major city (Hamburg) didn't hurt, either.

In Austria it's often two business days minimum - if the item comes from the dispatch center in Linz, and not from Germany or further away). :(
Yeah. In London the free option was normally 2-4 working days I think and they'd normally be earlier rather than later. But knowing it'd be here the next day, even on a Sunday was behind an excessive amount of shopping on my part. They're clever :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

2 day shipping is negated when they won't leave tge packages and you have to go to the UPS hub.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2014, 10:13:22 AM
Bezos business model is not about making money.

FYPFY.

Amazon needs to realize they can't build a sustainable business exclusively on loss leaders.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 26, 2014, 11:12:50 AM

FYPFY.

Amazon needs to realize they can't build a sustainable business exclusively on loss leaders.

Realize? Why? He's played the stock market investors into them giving him boat loads of money for almost no returns. He's getting richer while spending other peoples money. This is the perfect game.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 26, 2014, 10:31:29 AMeven on a Sunday

I wish. We don't even get deliveries/mail on Saturdays in Austria. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2014, 11:24:41 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 26, 2014, 11:12:50 AM

FYPFY.

Realize? Why? He's played the stock market investors into them giving him boat loads of money for almost no returns. He's getting richer while spending other peoples money. This is the perfect game.

Meanwhile, I got X-Men: DOFP for $10. All hail Bevos!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2014, 11:24:41 AM

The stock is down 17% this year and drops every time there is a whiff of further negative profits.  Investors are wising up and realizing Amazon is not the place to park their money if none of these bug ideas turn into profit.  If they have a lackluster holiday season earnings-wise I think they are going to be in a world of hurt.  Over three years they have more than doubled revenue while seeing their EPS drop by almost 80%.  They currently sit at a $0.98/share loss on the year, meaning they need to double their holiday performance from last year just to break even.

Grey Fox

or not spend money for a quarter.

It's all smoke & mirrors.

celedhring

Amazon's gross margin is pretty fine. They will have profits whenever they want to.

Ideologue

I can start saving money whenever I want to.
Kinemalogue

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on November 26, 2014, 12:12:47 PM
Amazon's gross margin is pretty fine. They will have profits whenever they want to. when they've destroyed all the competition