News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2014, 09:11:39 PM
I didn't care for Big Hero 6. I don't think the kids did either.

I was thinking of taking Timmy to see it.  He's been wanting to go see a movie, it's the newest Disney movie, I thought it would be a fit.

Suitable / enjoyable for a 4 year old?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
21 Things in Interstellar That Don't Make Sense.

I will still watch it once it's out on blu ray, to form my own opinion, though chances are that at that point it'll be positive surprise.
That article loses on point 1, for one simple reason: most beer is not made out of wheat, but barley. Also, you can make perfectly serviceable crap American lager mostly from corn. It'll be fucking awful (chicha), but if you juice it with other fermentables, it's technically drinkable.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Berkut

I didn't want to read Malthus spoliers, but what is it about Interstellar that is so bad without ruining the movie?

I was looking forward to going and seeing this... :(

Wait - Ide, have you seen it? Do you think it is completely terrible?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2014, 04:50:00 PM

He gave it a B+, so there's really no telling.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Aww, the Downton Abbey's season is over.  :bowler:

Barrister

I didn't want to read Malthus spoliers, but what is it about Interstellar that is so bad without ruining the movie?

I was looking forward to going and seeing this... :(

I gather the complaint is it gets some basic science kind of wrong and/or a somewhat unbelievable plot.

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2014, 04:51:35 PM

He gave it a B+, so there's really no telling.  :P

Damn. I was hoping he hated it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

A sci-fi movie that gets science wrong.   :o
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on November 12, 2014, 05:32:37 PM
A sci-fi movie that gets science wrong.   :o

Well if it was aiming for 2001, then it shouldn't get basic science wrong...

I still want to see it, but not sure if it'd be worth the hassle of getting a babysitter for...

Josquius

Railway Man- Kind of an odd film. Starts looking like some kind of romantic movie but then there's some shocking shift to a Japanese POW camp movie...except the entire synopsis of the film is thats what it is about so...not so shocking.
I wonder how he got the woman at the start by being a boring guy. hmm...
Yes. That is the question I take away from it. The POW and meeting his ex-torturer stuff, i.e. the main point of the film, just feels rushed.
The romance should have been kept to the side and the focus kept more on subsequent meetings and friendship building with the evil Japanese guy.

Beneath Hill 60- A WW1 film that doesn't suck and doesn't feel the need to moan about teh ev0l British or any of that sort of thing. A rarity.
Its not the best thing ever but it was an enjoyable little film.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

They should make a WWI tank movie.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 06:15:12 PM
They should make a WWI tank movie.

Yeah right, and next you will propose to have Brad Pitt as lead. :yeahright:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

It is surprising that Interstellar got the science wrong since they had a scientist as an executive producer and advisor to make sure that didnt happen.

This short article seems to suggest that it might be the audience that didnt get the science rather than the other way around.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/10/neil-degrasse-tyson-interstellar-science/

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

You know what would be great?  WWII tankette movie.  It would be like Saving Private Ryan meets Waiting for Godot.  An Italian crew of two drives their tankette forward until they roll it into a ditch.  The rest of the movie would be them smoking cigarettes and trying to surrender to who ever happens by.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017