And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2014, 05:12:39 PM
Marvel sold off its flag ship???  :blink:

Marvel sold off the cinema (and some other associated ones, like merchandising stuff) rights of several of its flagship characters (X Men, Spiderman, FF) in the 90s, when it was in a dire financial situation. Nowadays the movies based on those characters are done with no input from Marvel Studios, like the Avengers ones.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on November 11, 2014, 05:02:46 PM
Binge watching

Hell on Wheels.

They shouldn't have killed off [spoiler]Elam[/spoiler].
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 11, 2014, 03:17:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 10, 2014, 11:27:59 PM
It seems that Jonathan Nolan has been signed by HBO to adapt the original three Foundation books for TV.

I foresee a drab colored series with sterile environments and stone faced monologuing characters spouting trailer quotes.

That doesn't seem like the most obvious series to choose for TV.

The books skip ahead by hundreds of years at a time. They'd have to have a new cast each season or something.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 11, 2014, 05:17:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2014, 05:12:39 PM
Marvel sold off its flag ship???  :blink:

Marvel sold off the cinema (and some other associated ones, like merchandising stuff) rights of several of its flagship characters (X Men, Spiderman, FF) in the 90s, when it was in a dire financial situation. Nowadays the movies based on those characters are done with no input from Marvel Studios, like the Avengers ones.

Ronald Perelman used Marvel to back a bunch of junk bonds to buy other companies, which ended putting Marvel in Chapter 11. The joys of capitalism.

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2014, 04:28:36 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2014, 03:39:05 AM
I just don't "get" the Nolans. They have many fans and their movies make a lot of money, but they completely fail to engage me on an emotional level, and I often find their works dour and pretentious. Dark Knight is a bit of an exemption, because of the Joker who brings in an anarchic/emotional element.

Again, as they have a large following, I presume the fault lies with me (though I guess I now know how people feel who just can't stand any Tarantino movie).

I dunno.  I wish I could generalize.  I wanted to say "It was Jon's fault!" but he wasn't there for Batman Begins (Chris' worst), and he was there for The Prestige (Chris' best).  I wanted to say Chris is better when he's working off an established story, but Begins is based on a specific Batman comic (sort of) and Inception isn't based on anything (well, except the Matrix :P ).

That said, I don't think any of his movies are bad, although Goddamn does Batman Begins come real close.

I think the overarching thing about the Nolans is how loud and bullying they are with emotionalism, not that they lack it.  Everything has got to be super on-the-nose.  That turns some people off, and some people like it.  I usually like it, though it can get too abrasive, as it does in Interstellar.
When I went to school with Jonah, he was very self-assured emotionally, and not afraid to be manipulative. His writing technique was in its infancy, but everyone in the class knew that he and Mike Birbiglia would be the people coming out of the class with a career. The rest of us, we're just shlubs with famous classmates.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

I didn't care for Big Hero 6. I don't think the kids did either.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2014, 12:20:41 PM
http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/doctor-doom-changed-to-antisocial-blogger-in-fantastic-four-movie-1609156/

QuoteThere hasn't been much news about the new Fantastic Four movie — the only big news we really know is that Johnny Storm will be played by Michael B. Jordan, and thus has been race-swapped, which is fine because Jordan is pretty good at that whole acting thing. Toby Kebbell will be playing Doctor Doom in the upcoming film, but it has been revealed in an interview with the actor that the Fantastic Four's nemesis will be undergoing a much more drastic makeover than the Human Torch.

First off, his name is a little more believable in the real world — he's now Victor Domashev, as opposed to the corny Victor von Doom. Domashev is employed as a "very anti-social" programmer, but on blogging sites, his internet persona is "Doom." So, we can probably assume that somewhere along the way, Domashev is going to transform into his online persona. Considering he's an anti-social programmer, it's probably also safe to assume that he's no longer the leader of fictional country Latveria. We wouldn't be too surprised if the movie named his blog something related to the comic villain's home country.

:bleeding:
There aren't enough bleeding eyes for that. If you have so much contempt for the source material why even bother?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2014, 09:18:25 PM
http://www.geek.com/geek-cetera/doctor-doom-changed-to-antisocial-blogger-in-fantastic-four-movie-1609156/

QuoteThere hasn't been much news about the new Fantastic Four movie — the only big news we really know is that Johnny Storm will be played by Michael B. Jordan, and thus has been race-swapped, which is fine because Jordan is pretty good at that whole acting thing. Toby Kebbell will be playing Doctor Doom in the upcoming film, but it has been revealed in an interview with the actor that the Fantastic Four's nemesis will be undergoing a much more drastic makeover than the Human Torch.

First off, his name is a little more believable in the real world — he's now Victor Domashev, as opposed to the corny Victor von Doom. Domashev is employed as a "very anti-social" programmer, but on blogging sites, his internet persona is "Doom." So, we can probably assume that somewhere along the way, Domashev is going to transform into his online persona. Considering he's an anti-social programmer, it's probably also safe to assume that he's no longer the leader of fictional country Latveria. We wouldn't be too surprised if the movie named his blog something related to the comic villain's home country.

There aren't enough bleeding eyes for that. If you have so much contempt for the source material why even bother?

So, how about that Mandarin, huh?

In other words, because sometimes, even when it's horribly misjudged, it works. <_<

Quote from: ScipWhen I went to school with Jonah, he was very self-assured emotionally, and not afraid to be manipulative. His writing technique was in its infancy, but everyone in the class knew that he and Mike Birbiglia would be the people coming out of the class with a career. The rest of us, we're just shlubs with famous classmates.

:unsure:

Small world, I guess.  I didn't know that about you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2014, 09:47:52 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2014, 09:18:25 PM

So, how about that Mandarin, huh?

In other words, because sometimes, even when it's horribly misjudged, it works. <_<

The Mandarian is not on the same iconic level of Doom, nor does Doom have the same handicap of being based on a racist caricature. In a post Guardians of the Galaxy world, you think they wouldn't be afraid to go nuts with the material.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I dunno, you could make a pretty strong argument that a part-Frankenstein, part-Dracula, part-Ceausescu Gypsy scientist-wizard might invoke a few negative stereotypes.

Not that I'm not agreeing with you.  There's no reason not to use a proper Victor von Doom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: C+

Seemed more to serve as a set-up for the next one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Fury, very good veterans day movie after participating in today's parade.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2014, 02:10:31 AM
The Criterion sale just started and I'm flat busted. :(

:console:
It's one month long and there are two per year.

Ideologue

Yeah, but I'll be broke till December, probably.  I might be able to swing a few things.

Possibly for the best anyway, though, or I might've blind-bought the original Insomnia.  What a drag that movie is after rewatching the Nolan one.
Kinemalogue