News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 30, 2014, 11:03:16 AM
I just turned it off about 15 minutes into it.

It was like a car wreck.  I just couldn't look away, no matter how bad it got.  At some point I want to watch it again so I can write a comic insult review.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 30, 2014, 09:32:53 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2014, 09:03:49 AM
So I watched both Red Dawns and  Pain & Gain in the last few days.
New Red Dawn is watchable,  old one was good, but I remember it been better.  Pain & Gain was good.

I may go watch Fury tonight with my son,  should I?   :hmm:

The new Red Dawn wanted to make me start throwing shit at the screen because of the utterly unrealistic bullshit. :P

That applies to half of the movies now a days.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2014, 11:32:28 AM
Under the Skin. WTF did I just watch?  :huh:

I guess the thinking was something like. what if we take the movie Species and turn it into a pretentious art house film? Course, being the pretentious art house film that it is, it's rather hard to follow and probably doesn't resemble Species much at all(besides the obvious, alien chick seducing and killing earth men).

Oh, and at one point the alien seduces the elephant man.  :wacko:

Scarlett Johansson really has made some odd choices lately.

Yeah that was a WTF movie. On the plus side she's naked in it and shows her bits for a bit.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

One's better off just googling her bits than watching this film though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 30, 2014, 09:32:53 AM
The new Red Dawn wanted to make me start throwing shit at the screen because of the utterly unrealistic bullshit. :P
because the first one was so realistic? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2014, 12:28:36 PM
One's better off just googling her bits than watching this film though.

Get a subscription to Mr. Skin?  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Listen and understand. Hollywood is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until everything you love is dead.

http://www.avclub.com/article/terminator-genisys-will-have-terminator-whos-progr-211175
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2014, 12:58:48 PM
because the first one was so realistic? ;)

Realism is a continuum, not a binary distinction. :P

viper37

PG-13?  They can't be serious!
Wasn't Robocop enough for them??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Other than the PG-13 part, which is a shame but unavoidable, the premise sounds pretty decent, and avoids retreading the other four.  It's not fundamentally incapable of being good, like Salvation arguably was.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

'Restrepo' - a must see documentary?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2014, 07:07:07 PM
'Restrepo' - a must see documentary?

Wouldn't say must-see, but I enjoyed it.  Pretty fucked up situation, all around.

Meanwhile, I watched Nightcrawler tonight.  Stars Jake Gylalalalalahallajihad as an amazingly-creepy late-night camera-jockey recording all the bleedy, leady stuff that LA audiences apparently love.  The score was excellent, acting excellent, sense of dread pretty terrifying and the entire atmosphere of the movie was enough to get me to think about watching it again in theaters.  9.5/10 or B+, whichever.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Captain Phillips. Very intense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.