TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: 11B4V on October 29, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2014, 10:22:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 29, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
I just read that there'd be 27 new superhero movies in the next few years. WTF. Hollywood really doesn't do cash cows half hearted.

I blame the comic book retards.  Grow the fuck up, people.

There are waaaaaay more cinema goers watching those films that comic book nerds buying the comics themselves. Superheroes have become mainstream, deal with it.

That may be true, but the decline in quality has started.

That's why the last Captain America and the Guardians of the Galaxy films have been amongst the best received ones so far, right?  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on October 29, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
That may be true, but the decline in quality has started.

Yeah, it started with Superman 3.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2014, 09:32:31 PM
Maybe the lesson should be don't make surprise visits to meet up with people you don't really know. <_<
It's generally a good advice for anyone, not just gays. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Its a shame all these superhero films are happening now. I would have absolutely loved them when I was a kid. I used to long for a decent modern spiderman film. X-men would have blown my mind.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Boyhood. I liked it a lot. However, I didn't care much for the kid's story - only kids' stuff happens to him and a lot of it gets glossed over because the film wants to encompass so much. It was the characters of his two biological parents the ones who grabbed me. The mother has a pretty gripping story,[spoiler] and when the boy leaves for college and she starts to cry, realizing she'd now be alone, I was genuinely moved. The father also has a great arc, we see him mature from irresponsible white trash to a father that can teach and give advice to his son, all by seeing just a few weekends that they spend together. Brilliant.[/spoiler]

celedhring

Coherence. A micro-budget sci-fi flick shot entirely in a single location, about a comet that passes near Earth causing several paranormal shit while a group of friends with a lot of secrets get together for a dinner.

The flick has a pretty good concept and setup; sadly it soon gets lost in trying to out-Primer Primer with confusing alternate reality plot mechanics. Towards the end, the film gets a better sense of what story is trying to tell, but it's a bit too little too late. Sadly, it's compelling enough to make me think this could have been a great film if it focused on the more character-driven side of the story instead of the plot fireworks, and that it sort of wastes its potential.

Josephus

Agree with what you said. I enjoyed it but it could have been better.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

So I watched both Red Dawns and  Pain & Gain in the last few days.
New Red Dawn is watchable,  old one was good, but I remember it been better.  Pain & Gain was good.

I may go watch Fury tonight with my son,  should I?   :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2014, 09:03:49 AM
New Red Dawn is watchable,  old one was good, but I remember it been better.  Pain & Gain was good.

Uh, how old is your son? It's pretty gruesome.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

17 next month,  he watches all the gruesome stuff I won't.

He watched Saving Private Ryan before he was 10, maybe 8.

Yes,  I have twisted my son LOL.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The new Red Dawn wanted to make me start throwing shit at the screen because of the utterly unrealistic bullshit. :P

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2014, 09:16:46 AM
17 next month,  he watches all the gruesome stuff I won't.

He watched Saving Private Ryan before he was 10, maybe 8.

Yes,  I have twisted my son LOL.

He'll enjoy it, then.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 30, 2014, 09:32:53 AM

The new Red Dawn wanted to make me start throwing shit at the screen because of the utterly unrealistic bullshit. :P

I just turned it off about 15 minutes into it.

Eddie Teach

Under the Skin. WTF did I just watch?  :huh:

I guess the thinking was something like. what if we take the movie Species and turn it into a pretentious art house film? Course, being the pretentious art house film that it is, it's rather hard to follow and probably doesn't resemble Species much at all(besides the obvious, alien chick seducing and killing earth men).

Oh, and at one point the alien seduces the elephant man.  :wacko:

Scarlett Johansson really has made some odd choices lately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2014, 11:32:28 AM
Scarlett Johansson really has made some odd choices lately.

I really wish she'd hurry the fuck up and make me one of them.