Good morning, Worm your honor.
The crown will plainly show
The prisoner who now stands before you
Was caught red-handed showing feelings
Showing feelings of an almost human nature;
This will not do.
Call the schoolmaster!

Why we quoting the Wall?

Quote from: IdeSo, what is it like not to have human feelings?  Do you have other kinds of emotions, or is it just a machinelike emptiness?  Is it better, worse; are such comparisons even applicable?  I wonder.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

It seems my favorite character on Arrow is [spoiler]dead                   [/spoiler]. I had been waiting for this for some time but writers and the [spoiler]on true ship armed with cannon[/spoiler] will out in the end. [spoiler]Sarah was the fun Canary, now we'll get a moody whiny Canary.[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Been watching the first eps of Leftovers. It's certainly a bit slow, but intriguing. Too intriguing perhaps, I hope we don't have another Lost in the making.

The crazy smoker cult is certainly funny.

Savonarola

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

After having seen more of early German cinema (most notably Lubitsch's "The Doll") the sets didn't seem so innovative this time through.  Of course Lubitsch used his sets to create a fairy tale setting and Wiene used his to create a nightmare; but the off-kilter set design did already exist in German cinema.

Still a wonderful nightmare of a film.  I learned that the beginning and end of the film were added in order to tone down the film; similar to the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Caligari is just fantastic. Regarding the sets, I love how even lightning and shadows are painted on them.

Have you seen Genuine, the film Wiene directed after Caligari? It has a pretty similar design, although it's certainly not as brilliant. But it is a pretty entertaining and colorful dark fantasy.

Ideologue

Phantom of the Opera was better. The shadows were shadows.

I like The Doll. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

You could have never got the stark contrasts between light and shadows that you have in Caligari with the technology of the time. Film stock just didn't have enough dynamic range.

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 11:19:25 AM
Caligari is just fantastic. Regarding the sets, I love how even lightning and shadows are painted on them.

Have you seen Genuine, the film Wiene directed after Caligari? It has a pretty similar design, although it's certainly not as brilliant. But it is a pretty entertaining and colorful dark fantasy.

No, that looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I think the only other Wiene film I've ever seen was Hands of Orlac; which was obviously heavily influenced by Murnau.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 12:57:02 PM
You could have never got the stark contrasts between light and shadows that you have in Caligari with the technology of the time. Film stock just didn't have enough dynamic range.

I learned from the film commentary in "The Grand Duke" that Murnau was such a perfectionist that he used to have shadows painted in his film.  It was cheaper to do that than to arrange the lighting to his satisfaction.

DontSayBanana

Anybody been following The Flash?  Solid so far in my book, less overloaded with easter eggs than Arrow (and by orders of magnitude less than Gotham); and the casting has been awesome- two episodes and the relationship between Barry Allen and Joe West is already well fleshed-out.

Also, looks like we're going to see a lot more supers on Flash than on the other DC shows; I missed it the first time around, but the [spoiler](apparently) dead fiancee of the girl is Ronnie Raymond.  AKA Firestorm[/spoiler].
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

I saw episode 1, have ep. 2 recorded and will probably watch.

A bit fatigued with superheroes though. Been watching Gotham and Agents of SHIELD as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2014, 01:17:32 PM
I saw episode 1, have ep. 2 recorded and will probably watch.

A bit fatigued with superheroes though. Been watching Gotham and Agents of SHIELD as well.

we'll be getting Constantine soon enough too...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Constantine MUST be awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 01:21:37 PM

What's his superpower - getting Romans to convert to Christianity?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2014, 01:23:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2014, 01:21:37 PM

What's his superpower - getting Romans to convert to Christianity?  :D

You don't know Constantine? You missed out. One of the few DC series I liked (well, Hellblazer, technically).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.