Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 14, 2014, 07:22:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2014, 03:10:30 PM
[spoiler]Dude, that's Morgan.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I loved the look he gave the camera basically saying "Rick, ffs, stop."[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I hope he is no longer as crazy as he was the last time we saw him. [/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

If only we had like a Walking Dead thread. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2014, 08:51:55 AM
If only we had like a Walking Dead thread. ^_^

We do, this one.   :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 02:20:56 AM
*Technically, I just watched Cabiria.  Holy moly, there are like so many people thrown into fires in this awesome movie.  Unsatisfactory climax though, lacking in violence.  But I don't even know how they even accomplished the optical effect in that last shot in 1914, so I left it pretty impressed.  So, the questions arise: when the fuck is the 180 minute restoration that got screened at Cannes eight years ago getting a home video release... and is adding sixty minutes to the movie likely to make it better? <_<

I liked how the dagos "Act" by running around as if someone had just shouted "Fire."  That was common in Italian cinema in the silent era.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2014, 07:05:58 PM
Nuh-uh.  He was a famous officer of the Imperial German Air Service.  I saw part of a documentary about it once.

:lol:

He played a German officer in a number of World War I era propaganda films (some have great titles like "The Hun Within," (sadly that one has been lost)); so Renoir casting him as as a German officer is little like Quentin Tarantino putting Sonny Chiba in "Kill Bill".
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Today it's Pulp Fiction's 20th anniversary.  :smoke: :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

It's aged better than I have.  Although that's one of the few movies I left the theater totally blown out of my mind.

Meanwhile, I caught Gravity on Cinemax Go.  Glad I didn't see that in iMax, would've tossed my cookies right into the popcorn.

Aside from all sorts of ZOMG THAT CANT HAPPEN IN ZERO G physics shit that probably freaked out NASA pencilnecks, I thought the final device for George Clooney's character was done very well.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:30:42 PM
It's aged better than I have.  Although that's one of the few movies I left the theater totally blown out of my mind.

Meanwhile, I caught Gravity on Cinemax Go.  Glad I didn't see that in iMax, would've tossed my cookies right into the popcorn.

:(

I'm particularly susceptible to that sort of thing (there's a shot in The Man Who Laughs that makes me sick, of all things) but the only time Gravity got me was when Ryan Stone is spinning in space but the camera spins with her, so that the background swirls and her face is fixed in the frame.  The rest is great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 06:30:42 PM

Aside from all sorts of ZOMG THAT CANT HAPPEN IN ZERO G physics shit that probably freaked out NASA pencilnecks, I thought the final device for George Clooney's character was done very well.

Oddly for me, since first seeing that, I've been itching to watch it again; might give it a spin tomorrow evening, spin get it, I mad a 'funny'*  :D

*in the languish accepted definition of a 'funny'.  :P

As for the gravitational stuff upsetting the NASA pencil heads, the dvd has one long or a couple of documentaries about the space physics/background, maybe I'll check those out, so see what they say.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on October 14, 2014, 05:20:42 PM
Today it's Pulp Fiction's 20th anniversary.  :smoke: :ph34r:

I did not care for Pulp Fiction.  :sleep:

Josephus

I remember watching Pulp Fiction back in the day and loving it and talking about it for months. Of course I was in my 20s then, the target audience for that. Not sure, to me, it's really stood the test of time. Well...the bit in the middle with Bruce Willis hasn't so much. The dialogue, espeically in the first part, is ace, and overall it's a cinematic classic (I like the way it links up the beginning and the end with the diner conversation)...but I'm not sure I can watch it from start to finish ever again.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on October 14, 2014, 04:15:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2014, 02:20:56 AM
*Technically, I just watched Cabiria.  Holy moly, there are like so many people thrown into fires in this awesome movie.  Unsatisfactory climax though, lacking in violence.  But I don't even know how they even accomplished the optical effect in that last shot in 1914, so I left it pretty impressed.  So, the questions arise: when the fuck is the 180 minute restoration that got screened at Cannes eight years ago getting a home video release... and is adding sixty minutes to the movie likely to make it better? <_<

I liked how the dagos "Act" by running around as if someone had just shouted "Fire."  That was common in Italian cinema in the silent era.

I liked the huge guy that it turns out was in blackface. :Embarrass:

P.S., I read about the ending to Pandora's Box.  Wikipedia is fucking with me, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2014, 12:26:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2014, 08:27:52 PM
:lol: [spoiler] Carol, you motherfucking Green Beanie![/spoiler]

[spoiler]Indeed, I think that episode made Carol the most awesome character on the show now.  :)

But....boy, that escalated, and ended, quickly.  Though there are bound to be some Terminus survivors.  But that beginning/end segue-way, with the people who originally brutalized the Termites...means the gang-rapers may show up later.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I finally watched this and thought the same thing - damn they took Carol who originally had been so obnoxious and made her really cool! On the flipside, I thought the Tyrese storyline was really dumb. Theoretically he was leaving the cabin to get killed by walkers at which point he knew cannibal guy would kill Judith.

Also, I wasn't such a big fan of those 'then' segments. I felt like they were supposed to make me feel somewhat sad for the Terminus cannibals but I really felt nothing but contempt.:Embarrass:[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I don't think you were meant to feel sad for them so much. I think the point is to show that they were just normal good people too and that the environment changed them to what they became. And, the bigger, all encompassing theme, of course, is is "our group" heading down the same path?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2014, 08:13:10 PM
I don't think you were meant to feel sad for them so much. I think the point is to show that they were just normal good people too and that the environment changed them to what they became. And, the bigger, all encompassing theme, of course, is is "our group" heading down the same path?

I find it very hard to see how people can go from what they were to [spoiler]taking their silly mantra so literal as to start eating people[/i].