Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

And boy, is Broken Arrow weapons grade shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

So harsh.  Everyone hates John Woo's American stuff.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2014, 08:11:08 PM
Haven't seen that one but it does seem Travolta has had a lot of duds in his second act, since Pulp Fiction.  Like all of them.

His first act was worse. Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Moment by Moment, Urban Cowboy...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2014, 08:11:08 PM
Haven't seen that one but it does seem Travolta has had a lot of duds in his second act, since Pulp Fiction.  Like all of them.

You should watch it, and like me take solace in knowing it'll drive Serbians and fellow balkanotards nuts when they see it.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2014, 08:57:14 PM
And boy, is Broken Arrow weapons grade shit.

And what a steamer it is.   Somebody needs to revoke John Woo's visa and deport his ass, so his shitfests can just poison the Far East.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

And rightfully so.  I never rooted for the Japanese so much in a war movie than I did in Windtalkers.  I'm just grateful the Duke wasn't alive to see it.

Ideologue

Wow.  So much Woo hate. :lol:

Apparently there's a $13 BD edition of the 75th anniversary reissue of Gone with the Wind just for proles, available exclusively through Wal-Mart.  The short version is "score."  Indeed, it is actually superior, in that it doesn't come with a giant eyesore of a box that announces "I am either a racist or, at best, I devalue human life and liberty in favor of Technicolor splendor."  While the second part is certainly true, it is not necessarily something I want to broadcast to guests.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, and the tally for the Vincent Price films so far is:

The Fall of the House of Usher (1960).  But, seriously, depression is horrifying.  It's the best Price performance I've seen so far.  My impression is that he has always been legitimately good, but Roderick Usher is legitimately great, so pathetic that you feel sorry for him even when he... well, you know.  Plus Daniel Haller's production design is exquisite.  A

Pit and the Pendulum  (1961).  Individual scenes exceed House of Usher, of which it is a naked remake, except it ends with a pit and a pendulum instead of a fire and structural collapse.  Most notable of these individual scenes is when Don Medina discovers his [spoiler]wife's (?) body[/spoiler]; aside from the grotesquely effective prop, the subsequent howling of "True!" is my current favorite Price moment, over-the-top as hell whilst simultaneously remaining extraordinarily emotionally affecting.  Unfortunately, the last twist kind of threw me, though I infer this is a personal failing.

On a filmmaking level, I found it a highly (surprisingly?) accomplished visually, given Corman's undeserved reputation as king of crap.  After having seen a half dozen of the pictures he helmed personally, I surmise that this reputation is fairer viz. Corman the Producer than it is Corman the Director.  As in Usher, the camera is alive and restless, constantly probing around Haller's gorgeously decayed standing sets (appointed differently enough here that you only really notice that they're same as in Usher once or twice, even watching both films in a row).  The real quantum leap in Pendulum is in its editing.  While he never completely abandons it, Corman largely overcomes the sometimes random-feeling B-camera cutting that was a distraction in Usher.  The climactic sequence itself is a tremendous piece of montage, where the pendulum is married to the music in a most excellent way.  A very high B+

Haunted Palace (1963).  (I know--The Raven and Comedy of Terrors are each in the next volume of the collection, not out till next week and way too expensive anyway.  I'd also like to see Premature Burial, but of course that is Ray Milland and not Price, so... bummer.)  This one's still good, but is my least favorite so far.  Actually a Lovecraft adaptation, a spirit of an ancestor possesses Good Vincent Price and turns him into Evil Vincent Price when he and his ridiculously hot wife move into the redressed sets from Usher and Pendulum.  I was rather hoping for more of a struggle between Good Price and Evil Price, as represented by the actor himself on screen and a voice that seems to emanate from a creepy painting of his lookalike forebear.  Sadly, this is not the case, and aside from one exchange, they just kind of alternate, and Good Price is barely in the film after the first half hour.  Also, although the prospect of forcing young women into transdimensional rape in order to gain ever-vaster dark knowledge is a surprisingly gnarly motivation for a villain in 1963, the Elder God himself looks a little silly.  (Also, why was it impossible to make-up Lon Chaney Jr.'s neck?)  B
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Yeah, Haunted Palace is one of the weakest. Usher and Pendulum are comfortably the best, but Masque of Red Death has some arresting sequences and features rich greedy people dying of pestilence, a theme that always endears me. Ligeia's also good.

Going with the John Woo/Travolta theme, Face/Off must be one of the most laughable films I've ever watched. Nicholas Cage at his overacting worst, too.

Also, I believe that if you played all slo-mo sequences at regular speed, that film wouldn't reach 60 minutes in length.

Viking

I respectfully disagree. I think both Broken Arrow and Face/Off are awesome movies. They are straight up good vs bad action movies. I always enjoy watching both of them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Awesome may be a bit much, but they're fun. I'd take Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Get Shorty, or even Swordfish over seeing Grease again.  :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on October 10, 2014, 07:08:28 AM

I respectfully disagree. I think both Broken Arrow and Face/Off are awesome movies. They are straight up good vs bad action movies. I always enjoy watching both of them.

:hug:

Quote from: Eddie TeachAwesome may be a bit much, but they're fun. I'd take Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Get Shorty, or even Swordfish over seeing Grease again.  :P

:o
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

I hope that face is a joke, you should know by now I dislike most musicals.