News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The Pit and the Pendulum is one of my favorite horror films. I even shot an alternative credits sequence for it when I was at film school, as a class exercise :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 09, 2014, 05:04:00 AM
The Corman-Poe films are great.

There's actually some notable talents involved in those. Richard Matheson of all people wrote several of them, for starters. Imho the best thing they have going for them (besides Vincent Prince and great art design) is how they capture the fact that Poe stories have preciously little plot, and they are far more introspective and obsessive affairs than narrative ones. A lot of other lesser Poe adaptations just make up more plot to fill in the space of a feature length movie, and it just dilutes their essence imho.

Syt

Watched the first episode of Sherlock. That was rather entertaining.  :bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2014, 03:25:37 PM
Watched the first episode of Sherlock. That was rather entertaining.  :bowler:

You are in for a very entertaining ride.

The only problem is they have made so few episodes to date.

Josquius

The Family- Odd film. American mafia family gets relocated to rural France, where everyone speaks excellent English. Has De Niro and Tommy Lee Jones despite being a bland no name film.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2014, 04:21:31 PM
The Family- Odd film. American mafia family gets relocated to rural France, where everyone speaks excellent English. Has De Niro and Tommy Lee Jones despite being a bland no name film.

I enjoyed it up until the time it turned into just another gangster shoot em up movie.  Before that it seemed like it was going for an interesting twist but then about mid way the director seemed to say to himself "wait a minute - this is a mob movie" but not a very good one.

Ideologue

It's not. It's Luc Besson. It also sucks a fair amount.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2014, 05:09:24 PM

It's not. It's Luc Besson. It also sucks a fair amount.
Yeah, only the preview was good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2014, 05:21:19 PM
Gave that new show Scorpion a chance. Waste of 10 minutes.  :yuk:

I knew as soon as the first promo spot was done that the show was going to be horrible.  I;m unusually hard on "techy" media, though. :P

viper37

Stalker.
New cop show.  Nothing really new and inventive here, something I must have seen a dozen times already.

Blue Bloods
I watched one episode of the show at my friend's place, and I totally don't get the hype.  Again, not much here, basic cop show except the family are all cops.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

I liked the Family. I liked the GoodFellas bit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Ran through the first season of Homeland on season two now.

Very good
Other than Claire Danes' charcter. Only low point of the show. Reminds me of that loopy cunt from Zero Dark Thirty.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Is the De Niro and Travolta film 'Killing Season' worth a viewing?

Given the rage-hate for it on IMDB from Serbian/Balkan reviews, I'm minded to give it a go.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Haven't seen that one but it does seem Travolta has had a lot of duds in his second act, since Pulp Fiction.  Like all of them.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2014, 08:11:08 PM
Haven't seen that one but it does seem Travolta has had a lot of duds in his second act, since Pulp Fiction.  Like all of them.

Broken Arrow. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)