And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2014, 12:45:33 PM
I miss Scrubs.:(
More just Dr. Cox.  That show would have been significantly less worthwhile if you removed him.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2014, 07:09:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2014, 12:45:33 PM
That technique is so embedded in our TV consciousness now, it took me about half a season to notice it in Parks and Recreation.
Indeed. I think an old fashioned studio audience comedy would now be as shocking as The Office was when it started.

Yeah. "Vicious" almost felt novel.

celedhring

There are still a few high profile shows that use the good ole live audience laugh track. Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half Men come to mind.

Josquius

I'm watching the final series of How I Met Your Mother, I never did see how it ended.
One question has hit me in watching Barney's antics- how the hell does this same bar where they always go have a constant supply of new, hot women?
Surely it should have more regulars than the main characters? Surely some of his former conquests would come back to the bar where they met him and totally screw up his game?

QuoteThe writers must soon have to change the schtick of her character, as it makes little sense to keep her as the "smart girl who can't get boys to be interested in her" when she actually looks like this:
I'm a terrible, terrible person  :blush:

What is weird though is that the older sister is actually 27 or something and merely playing a teenager whilst she actually is the age she plays. They're going to look odd next to each other in a few years.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

A TV show set in a bar that looks like a real bar would not be a very entertaining TV show.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 12:43:56 PM
A TV show set in a bar that looks like a real bar would not be a very entertaining TV show.

Besides, it isn't really uncommon to see many new faces at a bar in Manhattan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I'm watching a French film Irreversible. I'm fifteen minutes in and I don't know what it's about yet, but I might be getting motion sickness from the camera work.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Watched about half of King Kong, the Naomi Watts one.  What a dumbass decision to cast Jack Black as the producer.  Totally dissipates the tension.

Naomi is, however, incandescent.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2014, 12:14:38 PMWhat is weird though is that the older sister is actually 27 or something and merely playing a teenager whilst she actually is the age she plays. They're going to look odd next to each other in a few years.

The older sister's actress is 24, and was 19 when the show began. It's not such a huge difference.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 19, 2014, 12:43:56 PM
Cheers disagrees <_< :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 19, 2014, 11:55:47 PM
I'm watching a French film Irreversible. I'm fifteen minutes in and I don't know what it's about yet, but I might be getting motion sickness from the camera work.

I watched about 30 minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore. Easily the most horrible film I've ever seen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Gaspar Noe fucking hates you.  And me too.

I got used to Irreversible, and in the end it's a great movie (though I don't think the camera fuckery was nearly as necessary as Noe did).  However, I was never compelled enough to finish Enter the Void, which is even worse about that stuff.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And anyway, The Hunger Games is way worse.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Barbara Frietchie (1924)

In 1861 two students from West Point, Arthur Frietchie and William Trumbull visit Arthur's family in Maryland.  William is smitten by Arthur's sister Barbara (played by Florence Vidor).  He proposes marriage, but as she's considering it Maryland secedes and... :huh: wait, what? 

Okay, well in this wacky alternate reality, Maryland secedes and the lovers are divided.  Naturally William is in the Union army that seizes her small town and Arthur is in the Confederate army that defends it and so is Stonewall Jackson.  All sorts of hi-jinks occur and we all learn that love is more important than war.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue